The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the current way to distribute music and get paid?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are CD's officially done?

I don't understand how in 2020 we STILL do not have a way of selling music and keeping if from getting copied. It's fairly difficult to copy a piece of software now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Spotify? Bandcamp? You might make your millions in about as many years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
It's fairly difficult to copy a piece of software now.
Nah, it's not.

Most commercial software is cracked in the first day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't understand how in 2020 we STILL do not have a way of selling music and keeping if from getting copied. It's fairly difficult to copy a piece of software now.
I think you get a record deal and after your 3rd platinum record you make some money, maybe. If you sell 10mil on your debut you can make some money like G&R , Hootie and Boston.
Old 4 weeks ago
Go on youtube and beg for money like everyone else.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Nah, it's not.

That reflects the dishonesty of certain subset of musicians - and yet, I would venture, these are the same people who insist they get paid for their music instead of having it stolen or not get paid for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Spotify? Bandcamp? You might make your millions in about as many years.
How are the top NEW artists selling their music?

Itunes?

How much do you have to pay to get top billing on iTunes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Put your music on Spotify

Take out a loan to buy instagram followers and pay some kid to play your music on his streaming farm for a while

Pray to the data analytics gods that enough people/promoters believe the hype so that you can tour off it

Allegedly
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bump
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Touring, merchandising, product placement, apps....

Why not require a dongle, like UAD or ProTools?
Old 4 weeks ago
Wait til people start playing your music at birthday parties, school functions and public parks...you'll be up to your eyeballs in sweet, sweet litigious revenue streams! A lot of Benjamins to be made in crime.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That reflects the dishonesty of certain subset of musicians - and yet, I would venture, these are the same people who insist they get paid for their music instead of having it stolen or not get paid for it.
The phenomenon I mentioned isn't in any way whatsoever exclusive to the music industry.

It's just that it's neigh impossible to stop without significant costs or significant inconveniences, neither of which are likely to be present in $50 to $1000 software, of any variety.

I've seen it all broken, at alarming speeds. Anything popular, even things with Hardware Dongles.

(am career software professional)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

CDs for shows. Memory sticks maybe? Otherwise iTunes for actual “sales”, but most artists make more money from streaming.

That’s the thing - the idea of “copying music” is largely gone in the western world - why would you illegally copy something that’s already out there for free?

Quote:
Nah, it's not.

Some is, some isn’t. But let’s not talk cracks

Quote:
How are the top NEW artists selling their music?

Itunes?

How much do you have to pay to get top billing on iTunes?
You can’t just “pay” to get featured on iTunes. You either need an existing relationship (ie be on a major label with marketing people promoting your record to Apple Music) or be such a hype act that it gets put there anyway.
As an unknown you can’t just pay a wedge of cash and expect to get prime placement. That’s not how it works believe it or not!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The phenomenon I mentioned isn't in any way whatsoever exclusive to the music industry.
In the light of musicians being dishonest and using stolen software while wanting to get paid i suddenly think of software companies that are clearly criminal and stealing peoples money and breaking contracts.... and still we aren't any further concerning a solution.
Does it make sense for you to view musicians in two seperate categories, like, those who have made it big (0.05%) and .. the real world? So the answers you're looking for would have to serve those 99.95%, not the others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That’s the thing - the idea of “copying music” is largely gone in the western world - why would you illegally copy something that’s already out there for free?

Can't help but think there is opportunity resultant of the above truth. There will be (if there isn't already) a whole generation of music consumers who have no experience pirating/file sharing music illegally, because they have never had to. My generation and older knows how to use torrents, pirate bay, etc. but kids born after 9/11 have grown up without ever having to use these methods to listen to the music they want to listen to. Now that almost all popular music is available free from streaming websites, I doubt many younger listeners have much experience with illegally obtaining music..

So if an artist puts out a record now and declines to make it available for free via Spotify or other streaming sources and instead only sells downloads directly from their own website, if any younger people want to listen to it, it seems it would be less of a hassle for the listener to just pay for it. If you really want to hear a song by an artist that isn't available for free anywhere, then wouldn't it be easier to just download the track for $1.50 from the artist's website than learn the archaic method of torrenting if you've never used file sharing software before? It seems like this could actually create opportunities for artists to sell their content directly.

50,000 downloads directly from your own website would net you more than 10s of millions of plays on Spotify anyway..

Is this naively optimistic?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
In the light of musicians being dishonest and using stolen software while wanting to get paid i suddenly think of software companies that are clearly criminal and stealing peoples money and breaking contracts.... and still we aren't any further concerning a solution.
Does it make sense for you to view musicians in two seperate categories, like, those who have made it big (0.05%) and .. the real world? So the answers you're looking for would have to serve those 99.95%, not the others.
What?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Moss View Post
Can't help but think there is opportunity resultant of the above truth. There will be (if there isn't already) a whole generation of music consumers who have no experience pirating/file sharing music illegally, because they have never had to. My generation and older knows how to use torrents, pirate bay, etc. but kids born after 9/11 have grown up without ever having to use these methods to listen to the music they want to listen to. Now that almost all popular music is available free from streaming websites, I doubt many younger listeners have much experience with illegally obtaining music..

So if an artist puts out a record now and declines to make it available for free via Spotify or other streaming sources and instead only sells downloads directly from their own website, if any younger people want to listen to it, it seems it would be less of a hassle for the listener to just pay for it. If you really want to hear a song by an artist that isn't available for free anywhere, then wouldn't it be easier to just download the track for $1.50 from the artist's website than learn the archaic method of torrenting if you've never used file sharing software before? It seems like this could actually create opportunities for artists to sell their content directly.

50,000 downloads directly from your own website would net you more than 10s of millions of plays on Spotify anyway..

Very optimistic.

Might work if you're taylor swift and they're really keen to own your latest; if you're an unknown, might not work the same way! You'd have to be a huge artist to make this work (and don't forget - Swift went the other way, initially withholding then allowing her material on streaming.

Plus of course - you'd have to educate a whole generation into the idea music is no longer free....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is virtually no money left in music distribution. Streaming pays next to nothing. It’s been that way for some years.

Again, the music is pretty much for promotional purposes, only, with the exception of sync.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You can get Distrokid for around 20$ to put your music in most stores, use Bandcamp, promote your stuff as best you can and more importantly, at least for most, find another job that pays.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

The current method is as it has been to sell cds out of the trunk of your car. Once you are successful there then you can move up to retail distribution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am swimmjng more or lese in the Jazz "Business". People still sell some CDs after the concerts.
That's abou it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Moss View Post

Would it be fair to say that at least one form of modern-day pirating is the thing where people copy youtube videos and stream them to snag the ad revenue? That one seems so wrong to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I don't think many musicians are going to be the ones cracking the software! haha..

If you ever see and read the .nfo text files that come with cracks, they strongly advocate that people go and *BUY* the software after they've evaluated it .

It is then the user of the cracked software who chooses not to pay.

Same with music - if you download music for free, it's up to the listener to then go and contribute to the artist. Those copying and distributing it aren't necessarily those with the bad moral compass (despite what the law says), it is the listener who chooses not to contribute when they know they enjoy the music, who is perhaps worse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I've seen an old friend gain a following with her music and move to an audiophile label: so high-res sales to a smaller audience, some of whom will be purchasing for the sake of the audiophile err, image, recording style etc.

From her bandcamp page, she had one or two runs of exclusive vinyl cuts which sold out with runs of 500 or so at £20/each. At a guess, that £10,000 in sales will generate £5k in profit? That sound right? A few of those a year plus small label backing and gigs AND patreon-style contributions should surely keep one able to concentrate on music as a living? Oh and then one song got used as a tv theme .. and won a grammy, that must have helped a bit! Forgot about that.

Personally, I'd love to go the PSY route and just get one single video/tune hitting billions on Youtube worldwide. How did that one go so viral? Maybe it needs some analysis.

If a small kid can be a youtube millionaire just playing with toys, there must be a way forward with music in the modern world..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
CDs for shows. Memory sticks maybe? Otherwise iTunes for actual “sales”, but most artists make more money from streaming.

Some is, some isn’t. But let’s not talk cracks

You can’t just “pay” to get featured on iTunes. You either need an existing relationship (ie be on a major label with marketing people promoting your record to Apple Music) or be such a hype act that it gets put there anyway.
As an unknown you can’t just pay a wedge of cash and expect to get prime placement. That’s not how it works believe it or not!
So history about payola isn’t correct?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

OP, lots of good advice been posted. The usual channels have all been mentioned. Any way you put your precious music out there online, the technology is way ahead of you that makes it very easy to copy and duplicate it. Hell, there actually isn't even a point to trying to protect it. You WANT people to hear your music -- you don't want to put pay walls and road blocks to prevent people from hearing it. You are fighting for listeners attention who have a billion other things that can distract them from listening to your music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There’s all manner of “music biz is evil” excuses... some are even true... but, the reality of it is is that most music sucks and nobody wants to listen to it, let alone buy it. That bit gets conveniently overlooked when we wax on about the relatively few artists that sleep on beds made out of $100 bills and bathe in the tears of virgins...

That there are exponentially more artists releasing music into the market only makes this a more challenging market...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search