The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to do when the band that payed you to produce them won’t listen to your advice
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

As some others have mentioned in this thread, don't forget that we engineers and producers are service providers. George Massenburg one said in an interview I saw,

"We serve at the pleasure of the artist"

Do your best to guide them, but when push comes to shove, remember that is their music and do what they ask.

In the long term you will be judged on the experience the client had working with you, not the sound of the final project.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
does any engineer/producer in 2019 have enough work that they can afford to turn down work??? prolly not

A good producer can make any band ready, especially with a DAW at hand.
I do have plenty of work; I treat what I do as an art and a craft. And I have refused clients who treated it as a joke. Producer/musician disagreements are common. It's part of the creative process, and both sides should be prepared to listen to alternative viewpoints.

If sloppy vocals doubles are part of their sound, fine, I can roll with that. But if it isn't, and they even aren't far enough along musically to even tell their performance is sloppy, and are adamant that inferior results are 'good enough', then I'm willing to step out and let them work with someone else producing.

As I mentioned, I would be willing to do hired gun work tracking and mixing, but I know when to step back as producer if they aren't willing to accept or even discuss my advice.

This is just my own view, I wouldn't expect anyone else to have it. If the 'bills need to be paid' mentality is driving your artistic decisions, that's your own call.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The OP implied that he is charging the band for producing. I would assume this means he is charging them more than his standard studio rate, for his guidance, expertise and extra work. For the responsibility he is taking for delivering a finished product and not just X amount of hours.

I have always considered the extra expense charged for Producing to be "motivational" (in the same way that psychoanalysts say the fee is part of the therapy). That is, they should be looking at their bank account and thinking "we are paying this guy for his advice- we had better listen to him." If the band thinks they know better, why are the paying more than just the hourly rate?

That's why this band strikes me as so weird. Or the deal is weird. If the band is not paying extra, they will feel much freer to to disregard the producer's direction. If they are paying extra and they are unwilling to accept advice, then they truly are not worth a second thought, IMO. Do the engineering (and remove your producer credit) and pocket that extra cash as a fee for your pain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search