The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it really that smart and safe to post pictures of your gear?
Old 12th December 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Is it really that smart and safe to post pictures of your gear?

I understand if you have a business and need to advertise.

But is it really that smart to post pictures of your home studio?

Any smart hacker could probably quickly figure out your address.

It's cool to post pics and share on Gearslutz, but I wonder what's the upside?

Have any of you thought about this?

Had some theft in my neighborhood recently so got me thinking...
Old 13th December 2019
  #2
1. Insurance
2. Alarm System
3. Security Cameras
4. Lock your doors
Old 13th December 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
1. Insurance
2. Alarm System
3. Security Cameras
4. Lock your doors
5. Dogs
6. Fences
7. Lights

I'm not sure the Security Cameras (have them) are such a great deterrent these days. Lots of a-holes wearing hoodies committing crimes in front of cameras.

But if you do some research, hackers are like black-belts they can find you scary fast. Lots of articles written about that.
Old 13th December 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
This is the issue: If you don't post pictures, nobody knows.

If you do post pictures, it creates some (remote) risk.

Is it really worth taking any risk so you can show your rig to the world..?
Old 13th December 2019
  #5
A hacker wouldn’t have to work very hard to find my studio’s address, it’s everywhere. But regarding home studios (I used to have one) I never posted pictures of the outside. And all my business was word of mouth.

You can worry yourself to death about a million things. My advice - just get a robust insurance policy and install extra locks, on top of the other stuff. It’s worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 13th December 2019
  #6
How can anyone know your address from the inside of a closed bedroom?
Old 13th December 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Most here have a desk with a computer, a synth, plugins, a couple re-issue mics, re-issue guitar and amp ...not worth as much as the SUV in the driveway.
Old 13th December 2019
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
it's perfectly fine as long as you have your own 24/7 security detail and a man eating Tiger who's quite hungry.
and you weren't unfortunate enough to leave the GPS data in your pictures.
Old 13th December 2019
  #9
A couple of generations ago there was much less scumbaggery.
Old 13th December 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
I recognized a choice, early on. Pix... or address?

I chose pix. I like gear, like looking at it, working with it, and I tend to get along well with similar people.

I do NOT appreciate drop-ins. Probably won't answer a knock. Even if I hear it.

You can find me. You'll have to work at it some, more than one layer, and then...

Long before you arrive... I see you coming. I had help. I brought a convicted burglar out here, got him drunk, then asked him how to keep a guy like him... out.

My best friend is a former US Marine. Tour of duty in Vietnam. We've gamed the outer perimeter, inner perimeter, and every room, hallway, chokepoint, corner, sightline.

We got bored with chess, so we invented our own game. Triple the playing area, twice as many pieces. High-speed, low drag, immersive... wheels turning within wheels turning within wheels turning...and the psych side goes much deeper than that.

We do integrated audio and video here. I stopped counting at 40 cameras.

I hold 4 inches at 25 yards with a sidearm, a fuzz over an inch at 300 on a bipod. My brother is a 4 time state champ in F Class. The term you're looking for is Minute Of Ventrical.

You'll need some heavy tools. A truckfull. Bring a lunch... and Gatorade. You're going to work your ass off. Step after step after step.

It's going to seem easy at first, suck you right in until you're precisely where I want you... then it turns to granite.

I'll be watching you all the way.

You're going to have to make some incredible noise... right when I want you too.

Three neighbors.

Town cop to my north. Part time, he's also a bridge inspector. Sharp guy.

Chief of security at a... globally recognized... auto racing facility to my west.

Son of the town marshall to my east, crew of 12 guys, they do excavation. Move dirt with shovels. You know... long handle spades... and three ton Case 444 Extend-a-hoe buckets.

Pretty tough guys, but... they ARE the ones who called the cops on me after I did a mag dump off my back porch, when a drummer and production company owner wanted a demo. Unusual behavior for me, I don't shoot here, guess it freaked the diggers out. I blame the drummer's long hair. He LOOKS pretty shady. You know. Drummers.

28 rounds, 2.4 seconds. Cop raised the "strays" issue. Till I pointed up the tore up patch of snow at 128 feet. Less than a foot in diameter.

Yes, I have range stakes out, 360 degrees.

So... yer IN!

All that sweatin... all that... risk... now...

How you gonna get OUT?

Told ya.

I've SEEN you comin.

:-)

And yes... you CAN get out. I'm not feeding any prisoners.

(Not with a whole section of farmland out back and an excavation company next door. Plenty of room for burying more... evidence.)

The thing you're going to have trouble with is getting out WITH anything you can't carry in your pockets.

Ever do any climbing? Can you hump a heavy pack up, with you?

All told, you have 22 minutes. Numerous police, ambulance, and fire runs tell me that. Different stories for other days.

But LE is NOT your worry. Neither am I.

Your worry is the pack of yotes that WILL find you after you shatter an ankle hiking the south 40. Loose rock, lining those farmer's ditches, and 20 feet is higher than it looks.

They welcomed me to the neighborhood with a party under my bedroom window 22 years ago. Laughin and yippin and snarlin.

Left a calling card I found the next day. 18 inches of golden retriever paw. Left front. Zero other traces, not one drop.

It's real simple.

We make music here. We like to smile... a lot. Call ahead, get directions, bring your A-game and best instruments. Enjoy life, leave with solid deliverables, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by JayTee4303; 13th December 2019 at 02:49 PM..
Old 13th December 2019
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
A couple of generations ago there was much less scumbaggery.
Nah, crime rates are massively down in recent decades.
Old 13th December 2019
  #12
Quote:
Is it really that smart and safe to post pictures of your gear?
1) 4 Firearms with hollow points in all of them
2) 24hr Cameras
3) Alarms
4) Nosey Neighbors (gotta love em)
5) Insurance
6) If i told you, i would have to, well you know!!
Old 13th December 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I recognized a choice, early on. Pix... or address? ... Call ahead, get directions, bring your A-game and best instruments. Enjoy life, leave with solid deliverables, rinse, repeat.
Wow, you *are* hard to find. Even your weblink doesn't answer...
Attached Thumbnails
Is it really that smart and safe to post pictures of your gear?-screen-shot-2019-12-13-9.25.34-am.png  
Old 13th December 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
It's real simple.

We make music here. We like to smile... a lot. Call ahead, get directions, bring your A-game and best instruments. Enjoy life, leave with solid deliverables, rinse, repeat.
this post made my day-
Old 13th December 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I recognized a choice, early on. Pix... or address?

I chose pix. I like gear, like looking at it, working with it, and I tend to get along well with similar people.

I do NOT appreciate drop-ins. Probably won't answer a knock. Even if I hear it.

You can find me. You'll have to work at it some, more than one layer, and then...

Long before you arrive... I see you coming. I had help. I brought a convicted burglar out here, got him drunk, then asked him how to keep a guy like him... out.

My best friend is a former US Marine. Tour of duty in Vietnam. We've gamed the outer perimeter, inner perimeter, and every room, hallway, chokepoint, corner, sightline.

We got bored with chess, so we invented our own game. Triple the playing area, twice as many pieces. High-speed, low drag, immersive... wheels turning within wheels turning within wheels turning...and the psych side goes much deeper than that.

We do integrated audio and video here. I stopped counting at 40 cameras.

I hold 4 inches at 25 yards with a sidearm, a fuzz over an inch at 300 on a bipod. My brother is a 4 time state champ in F Class. The term you're looking for is Minute Of Ventrical.

You'll need some heavy tools. A truckfull. Bring a lunch... and Gatorade. You're going to work your ass off. Step after step after step.

It's going to seem easy at first, suck you right in until you're precisely where I want you... then it turns to granite.

I'll be watching you all the way.

You're going to have to make some incredible noise... right when I want you too.

Three neighbors.

Town cop to my north. Part time, he's also a bridge inspector. Sharp guy.

Chief of security at a... globally recognized... auto racing facility to my west.

Son of the town marshall to my east, crew of 12 guys, they do excavation. Move dirt with shovels. You know... long handle spades... and three ton Case 444 Extend-a-hoe buckets.

Pretty tough guys, but... they ARE the ones who called the cops on me after I did a mag dump off my back porch, when a drummer and production company owner wanted a demo. Unusual behavior for me, I don't shoot here, guess it freaked the diggers out. I blame the drummer's long hair. He LOOKS pretty shady. You know. Drummers.

28 rounds, 2.4 seconds. Cop raised the "strays" issue. Till I pointed up the tore up patch of snow at 128 feet. Less than a foot in diameter.

Yes, I have range stakes out, 360 degrees.

So... yer IN!

All that sweatin... all that... risk... now...

How you gonna get OUT?

Told ya.

I've SEEN you comin.

:-)

And yes... you CAN get out. I'm not feeding any prisoners.

(Not with a whole section of farmland out back and an excavation company next door. Plenty of room for burying more... evidence.)

The thing you're going to have trouble with is getting out WITH anything you can't carry in your pockets.

Ever do any climbing? Can you hump a heavy pack up, with you?

All told, you have 22 minutes. Numerous police, ambulance, and fire runs tell me that. Different stories for other days.

But LE is NOT your worry. Neither am I.

Your worry is the pack of yotes that WILL find you after you shatter an ankle hiking the south 40. Loose rock, lining those farmer's ditches, and 20 feet is higher than it looks.

They welcomed me to the neighborhood with a party under my bedroom window 22 years ago. Laughin and yippin and snarlin.

Left a calling card I found the next day. 18 inches of golden retriever paw. Left front. Zero other traces, not one drop.

It's real simple.

We make music here. We like to smile... a lot. Call ahead, get directions, bring your A-game and best instruments. Enjoy life, leave with solid deliverables, rinse, repeat.
Post of the year
Old 13th December 2019
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I recognized a choice, early on. Pix... or address?

I chose pix. I like gear, like looking at it, working with it, and I tend to get along well with similar people.

I do NOT appreciate drop-ins. Probably won't answer a knock. Even if I hear it.

You can find me. You'll have to work at it some, more than one layer, and then...

Long before you arrive... I see you coming. I had help. I brought a convicted burglar out here, got him drunk, then asked him how to keep a guy like him... out.

My best friend is a former US Marine. Tour of duty in Vietnam. We've gamed the outer perimeter, inner perimeter, and every room, hallway, chokepoint, corner, sightline.

We got bored with chess, so we invented our own game. Triple the playing area, twice as many pieces. High-speed, low drag, immersive... wheels turning within wheels turning within wheels turning...and the psych side goes much deeper than that.

We do integrated audio and video here. I stopped counting at 40 cameras.

I hold 4 inches at 25 yards with a sidearm, a fuzz over an inch at 300 on a bipod. My brother is a 4 time state champ in F Class. The term you're looking for is Minute Of Ventrical.

You'll need some heavy tools. A truckfull. Bring a lunch... and Gatorade. You're going to work your ass off. Step after step after step.

It's going to seem easy at first, suck you right in until you're precisely where I want you... then it turns to granite.

I'll be watching you all the way.

You're going to have to make some incredible noise... right when I want you too.

Three neighbors.

Town cop to my north. Part time, he's also a bridge inspector. Sharp guy.

Chief of security at a... globally recognized... auto racing facility to my west.

Son of the town marshall to my east, crew of 12 guys, they do excavation. Move dirt with shovels. You know... long handle spades... and three ton Case 444 Extend-a-hoe buckets.

Pretty tough guys, but... they ARE the ones who called the cops on me after I did a mag dump off my back porch, when a drummer and production company owner wanted a demo. Unusual behavior for me, I don't shoot here, guess it freaked the diggers out. I blame the drummer's long hair. He LOOKS pretty shady. You know. Drummers.

28 rounds, 2.4 seconds. Cop raised the "strays" issue. Till I pointed up the tore up patch of snow at 128 feet. Less than a foot in diameter.

Yes, I have range stakes out, 360 degrees.

So... yer IN!

All that sweatin... all that... risk... now...

How you gonna get OUT?

Told ya.

I've SEEN you comin.

:-)

And yes... you CAN get out. I'm not feeding any prisoners.

(Not with a whole section of farmland out back and an excavation company next door. Plenty of room for burying more... evidence.)

The thing you're going to have trouble with is getting out WITH anything you can't carry in your pockets.

Ever do any climbing? Can you hump a heavy pack up, with you?

All told, you have 22 minutes. Numerous police, ambulance, and fire runs tell me that. Different stories for other days.

But LE is NOT your worry. Neither am I.

Your worry is the pack of yotes that WILL find you after you shatter an ankle hiking the south 40. Loose rock, lining those farmer's ditches, and 20 feet is higher than it looks.

They welcomed me to the neighborhood with a party under my bedroom window 22 years ago. Laughin and yippin and snarlin.

Left a calling card I found the next day. 18 inches of golden retriever paw. Left front. Zero other traces, not one drop.

It's real simple.

We make music here. We like to smile... a lot. Call ahead, get directions, bring your A-game and best instruments. Enjoy life, leave with solid deliverables, rinse, repeat.
this is like a Tom Waits song
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump