The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To Move to Larger Studio or to Smaller Studio?
Old 3 weeks ago
To Move to Larger Studio or to Smaller Studio?

I've had a very small production studio in a business park for 6 years. Rent was CHEAP. Partner moving back to home studio, and my landlord has turned it into a power play to raise rent. I will not stay here. I can...

A) Move to another studio. This is a larger and ready built space. Previously was a friend's studio. Built VERY well. Two control rooms with windows. Smaller room has large iso booth. Larger control room has big tracking room with three double-door iso booths.

B) Move back to a home studio setup in current house with option to move to larger house. Not just a small bedroom, but a decent space.

Both have a long list of positives and negatives. Opportunity vs Equity. Flexibility vs Convenience. Etc vs Etc

My business is mostly post production, sound design, with some music scoring, mixing, mastering. I could get more creative opportunities with the rig at home. There is a potential of more business and gross revenue if I take on the higher expense.

In this landscape and at this phase, it's a tough call. Anyone else face this? What did you do, and how is/was it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

with the activities you have currently going, i'd assume getting into the smaller place might be a more wise move (unless you could use the large room say for video shooting): running large rooms for tracking and mixing is a much different business and has been on the decline for quite a few years now...
Old 3 weeks ago
I know of the decline. I watch my friends who built this place go through it. What makes it tough for me... the added expense is fairly minimal. It only adds $1000 to my monthly expenses, and gives me additional room to book services. Foley, ADR, rent it for video shoots, etc. It also cuts an expense, as I already spend a small amount of money each year recording in larger rooms. (I used to book this place for my jingle sessions) It also has a separate control+tracking room that I can sublease.

I'm not suggesting I change my focus to "recording bands" --- just gives me room to expand a growing business of audio for media.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

well, it the larger room gives you options which you otherwise would not have, if you could raise your profile, collaborate with someone, if the place is not burnt or haunted (by bad reputation from the previous owner), if you would need to rent a place for some projects anyhow and you have the funds to survive for say a year even in case you could not attract new business, if you can compensate for potential downtime while moving and before you can spread the news, then go ahead!
Old 2 weeks ago
Well... no studio would exist if someone didn't take some risk and sink some money. Singed the lease. Found a great deal on a SoundCraft Ghost 32 console, and maybe a sub-tenant to lease the Studio B suite. Fingers crossed... this might work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search