The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LA: How the heck do you find a living space to practice?
Old 1st November 2019
Here for the gear

LA: How the heck do you find a living space to practice?

Okay, the renting/sharing music studio alternative (my current situation in LA) does not work well for me. I need to be able to practice in my living space. I mainly sing—I do full operatic warm-ups—and play acoustic guitar, so I’m not looking to do anything that’s SUPER loud (no amplification).

It seems like apartments are generally pretty much a no-go due to neighbors if I want to be sure that’s not a problem. One basically needs a house. And then you’ve still gotta worry about bothering roommates unless you’re loaded—or shack up with a bunch of other musicians, which seems to be the most common solution.

I personally create best when I know there aren’t any judging ears, so I’m still looking for other options.

So there’s only a couple remaining things I can think of.
1. Guest houses—if someone actually has a free-standing guest house for rent.
2. There’s student apartments. If there’s music students, then they are likely to leave you alone.
3. The other is something I’ve heard of on rare occasion, which is renting warehouse/commercial space of some kind and using it for live/work. I’m open to that but I’m really not even sure where to begin, and I’m not sure whether this is feasible for one person.

Am I missing anything, everyone? I am not originally from here and I’d greatly appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.
Old 1st November 2019
Good question.

I'd also like to know how Bob Dylan learned harmonica...there had to have been a point at which neighbourhood cats were wailing at the moon.
Old 1st November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Good question.

I'd also like to know how Bob Dylan learned harmonica...there had to have been a point at which neighbourhood cats were wailing at the moon.
Were they listening to him play? LOL.

I get the point, but it’s just how I am.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search