The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Client criticizing our rate, what would you do?
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Well if it needs to be justified it needs to be justified. I'm not sure I'd spell out the price of equipment but on the other hand why not if we're going down the path of having to explain why it costs money. I don't really see the point in talking about "recouping" because if it actually was an expense up front with no guarantee of getting paid on the back end then why do it in the first place? It'd make no sense.

What does make sense is exactly what was said "Sometimes we do more complex multitrack recording just for our own interest in making the documentation mix as good as possible." So if that's the case then there's a different reason for why it was made and "recouping" doesn't really seem sensible to me.

So I agree instead that it makes sense to explain the value of it, and I think a way to make that clear is to explain what it would have taken to get it done as an separate specified job. This is a 'perk' that wasn't guaranteed. You get to pay for it, or not get it at all. Lowering the price too far kills the market.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
So I agree instead that it makes sense to explain the value of it, and I think a way to make that clear is to explain what it would have taken to get it done as an separate specified job. This is a 'perk' that wasn't guaranteed. You get to pay for it, or not get it at all. Lowering the price too far kills the market.
Yeah that's reasonable as well and points well made.

To me it seems a bit like the OP has either had, or at least developed, the intention of being able to offer this as an additional income source where they put in some extra work in and have the potential to make some extra cash for it.

I know a guy who goes to school recitals etc and records with no upfront cost, and charges $100 for anyone who wants a recording + video of the recietal. Somewhat similar in that nobody is obligated to buy them, but he isn't going to give it away just because he already has them.

Recoup isn't the right word, agreed on that point. But they put extra work into being able to offer the multitracks so I think it's important not to focus on this as an 'export fee' only. This is similar in a way to selling that photo of you on the roller coaster ride that they have already printed. Nope, they aren't going to just give it to you, and yup they will throw it away if you don't pay for it...but if you want it, you pay for it!

Moving forward, I think it would be a good idea to clarify this objective with the festival producers as well...that way everyone is on the same page. Someone may have told her "he charges a modest export fee" or something so that should be clarified for the future.
Old 23rd October 2019
personally I wouldn't lower the price, nobody wants to be known as the cheap guy, since studying business more and more I am coming to realise that hardly anybody charges anywhere near enough for audio services, I am happy to refuse work if I can't get what I deserve thesedays, people can take it or leave it, seriously, you need to be charging £35 per hour or above to make a decent living when you have expenses and ongoing costs, bills e.t.c. best of luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search