The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Next Career Steps?
Old 3 weeks ago
Next Career Steps?

Any advice on advancing one's career as a tracking/mixing engineer? I've spent the last few years slowly growing a small client base while working out of a warehouse space with a pretty modest setup, but certainly enough to get the job done.

Recently, a client I've worked with many times in the last few years got signed to a big-ish label, and although they've expressed that they've been nothing but happy with my work in the past and recommend me to all of their friends, they chose to go with a bigger name for their next record. While understandable, that leaves me asking, "what do I have to do to be considered for bigger jobs"? I have the connections to book out other studios, but it seems that I'm mostly unable to attract the attention of clients with bigger budgets to work in those studios. What I mean to say is, it doesn't seem to be a question of ability or resources, but rather visibility as an engineer/"producer".

If anyone has any advice on how to advance my career to the next stage, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've never posted on here before, but almost all of my knowledge and experience as an audio engineer is totally DIY and self-taught, so I don't have any sort of mentor to turn to for questions like these.
Old 3 weeks ago
EDIT: Also want to note that in my opinion, cold-calling bands to try to bring in new work seems unacceptable to me. I get the distinct impression that trying to sell yourself directly to a band is absolutely the fastest way to turn them off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search