The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Degree
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Degree

Hi folks, new here. This is a bit of a random one and looking for advice from the community here. I work freelance after leaving my full time company about a year ago it’s all going well but lately I’ve found myself thinking I should finish my degreee in audio as I dropped out in my last year due to being offered work. I’ve been working in the industry ever since does anyone think there’s any plus to finishing it now?
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

As someone who has recently finished their degree, I can honestly say every single person from my university is struggling to find ANY form of work in the music industry despite our degrees... I would personally say it is a waste of money but I am just one story amongst many.

Before you got throwing money at the wall it least invest some time into your chosen institute and local area to ensure you can walk into another job after graduation.

All the best in whatever you choose though!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
If you took all the money for one degree you could buy a tiny apartment. Good. Now you’re in debt for something you can build a studio in, and after you have that studio for yourself you can create your own work, rather than get ****ed along with the other university people “looking for opportunities.”

What you do to make money in between now and when your studio turns a profit is up to you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangle View Post
I work freelance after leaving my full time company about a year ago it’s all going well but lately I’ve found myself thinking I should finish my degreee in audio as I dropped out in my last year due to being offered work. I’ve been working in the industry ever since does anyone think there’s any plus to finishing it now?
Well not only would you spend money on you degree (I presume), but you'd simultaneously lose out on income and more business connections. If you already have a foot in the door for god's sake keep working!

Whatever knowledge you feel you need you surely can acquire without getting a degree...

PS: I'm assuming you're thinking about going back to school ful time. If you're talking about an online course or taking classes on weekends when you're not working anyway that's a different matter... though still pricey I'm guessing...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Well not only would you spend money on you degree (I presume), but you'd simultaneously lose out on income and more business connections. If you already have a foot in the door for god's sake keep working!

Whatever knowledge you feel you need you surely can acquire without getting a degree...

PS: I'm assuming you're thinking about going back to school ful time. If you're talking about an online course or taking classes on weekends when you're not working anyway that's a different matter... though still pricey I'm guessing...
Thanks for this. Yeah you’re spot on with everything you assumed. That’s pretty much what I was thinking. Gonna just keep working and do courses on anything I’m unsure of that’s what most other folks I worked with have said too. Thanks for taking the time to reply though ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search