The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Failings. How have you dealt with them?
Old 16th July 2019
Failings. How have you dealt with them?

Anyone who has spent time in this industry has become deeply (and unfortunately) acquainted with everything that can possibly go wrong. From seemingly small issues, like your favorite compressor malfunctioning in an important and timely session, all the way to project management and business mishaps: in your own story, how have you handled the failures, losses of reputation, mistakes and learned and grown from them?
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
First, I try very hard to anticipate failures, to not be overconfident or put on those rose colored glasses before or during a session. One of the things that makes me angry or disappointed with myself in failure situations is thinking that I could or should have anticipated the failure and had a plan to deal with the obvious negative possibilities. If I don’t have an adequate backup plan or whatever extra stuff I need, that’s usually on me.

I just wrote and erased a sentence about how I’ve gotten better over decades in dealing with failure. I haven’t. I still react with a lot of expletives and borderline panic.
I find that with my personality, it’s better to be a pessimist. If my expectation is that everything is likely to turn to sh**, it makes me both more vigilant in looking for problems, and makes it easier to deal with lesser problems. Lesser problems are no big deal when you fully expect the worst.
I do have to remember to disguise my pessimism during the event or session.
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
First, I try very hard to anticipate failures, to not be overconfident or put on those rose colored glasses before or during a session. One of the things that makes me angry or disappointed with myself in failure situations is thinking that I could or should have anticipated the failure and had a plan to deal with the obvious negative possibilities. If I don’t have an adequate backup plan or whatever extra stuff I need, that’s usually on me.

I just wrote and erased a sentence about how I’ve gotten better over decades in dealing with failure. I haven’t. I still react with a lot of expletives and borderline panic.
I find that with my personality, it’s better to be a pessimist. If my expectation is that everything is likely to turn to sh**, it makes me both more vigilant in looking for problems, and makes it easier to deal with lesser problems. Lesser problems are no big deal when you fully expect the worst.
Appreciate the words of wisdom coming from such an experienced industry stalwart as yourself!
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post

You are such a wise man.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search