The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Commission fee SoundBetter.com?
Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear

Commission fee SoundBetter.com?

Hello I wonder if someone here working for SoundBetter.com? Just wonder how high the commission fee is (I heard it's about 20% of each job, but want to have it confirmed). Also I wonder if really necessary to pay this high monthly fee (to increase page visibility). For example, if I would direct all my (own) current clients to that page (and they provide me with good reviews) will I automatically gain enough page visibility (so I don't need to pay the monthly fee)? Thanks for replies in advance.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

SoundBetter

You should do your own research.

A quick peek turned up a BBB rating of a C-.

An independent review of the site (by Anomaly Music Group) said it was a good idea but the site was not very reliable in getting business as most needs are quickly filled to capacity with submissions. There are just to many people trying to find business that are competing for the same job.

There was both good and bad reviews as with any business.

You can sign up for free and see how it goes but it would appear that to have any real chance you would need to be a paid subscriber since they get first dibs on everything.

Just my .02cents.
Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
You should do your own research.

A quick peek turned up a BBB rating of a C-.

An independent review of the site (by Anomaly Music Group) said it was a good idea but the site was not very reliable in getting business as most needs are quickly filled to capacity with submissions. There are just to many people trying to find business that are competing for the same job.

There was both good and bad reviews as with any business.

You can sign up for free and see how it goes but it would appear that to have any real chance you would need to be a paid subscriber since they get first dibs on everything.

Just my .02cents.
Thanks but it doesn't answer my question regarding commission fees.
Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,

Shachar from SoundBetter here.

SoundBetter keeps a 5% commission for jobs we facilitate.
There is an additional 3% processing fee by our payment processor.
That's it.

Regarding the Premium Program - you don't need to be premium provider to have a portfolio or get work. Approximately half of the work on the platform is performed by basic (non-premium) providers. Having said that there are a few hundred premium providers and tens of thousands of basic providers, so premium providers are much more likely to get work on a per-provider basis. Premium providers get increased visibility and show up above basic providers.

The premium program is by application and we accept a small percentage of applicants taking into account skill and experience, as well as platform need at that time for their specialty. This allows us to float providers we've had an opportunity to vet and feel good about introducing to clients, while keeping a balanced marketplace ensuring we can provide premiums with a good return on their investment.

Your idea to direct offline clients to hire you through SoundBetter. We've seen providers do this and it's worked for them. Having vetted reviews on a 3rd party platform increases trust in your profile for remote clients considering hiring you. Clients also feel better about hiring through SoundBetter than directly. In addition, getting many verified reviews boosts your visibility on SoundBetter, which typically translates to more work from clients that we bring to the platform.

We have delivered over $18M worth of work to the pros on the platform so far.
You can read some reviews by clients and providers here:
https://soundbetter.com/reviews
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Just want to chime in and say that I've gotten a fair amount of work from Soundbetter.com and I've really enjoyed it. Their software and methodology has been rock-solid for me. File transfers, communication, and payment are all fast and intuitive, and thinks simply work properly. The infrastructure they provide is well worth their commission, in my book, and their cut has always seemed fair.

Yes, there are a lot of musicians and engineers on the platform, but I've gotten a surprising number of inquiries. For what it's worth, I'm on the platform as a session saxophonist and keyboardist, but all of the work I've gotten has been recording saxophone or woodwind (clarinet/flute) parts... I haven't gotten any keyboard gigs from it. But I think there are many more capable keyboardists than saxophonists on the platform, so it makes sense.

Predictably, a lot of inquiries I've gotten have been from low-ballers who want quality work for next to nothing. But enough have been legitimate to make it well worth the time of building an account.
Old 13th July 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks both of you for input. I am on Fiverr that takes 20% commission fee which seems too high and payments are released only after 2 weeks. I enjoy a high ranking (usually top 10 to top 5) there in the mixing/mastering category with more than enough clients. So I think 8% and fast payment (is it?) seems attractive to me to switch platforms.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by owhsinchu View Post
Thanks both of you for input. I am on Fiverr that takes 20% commission fee which seems too high and payments are released only after 2 weeks. I enjoy a high ranking (usually top 10 to top 5) there in the mixing/mastering category with more than enough clients. So I think 8% and fast payment (is it?) seems attractive to me to switch platforms.
Wow. 20% is high. For high-skill craft like ours, that's way too much, unless they're generating $500 plus projects (which of course they're not). Soundbetter is easily much better than that, at the very least!

In the future, I would love it if Soundbetter were to architect their own direct ACH transfer system to eliminate the PayPal fee. That would end up benefiting both Soundbetter and their musicians, in the long run... but I understand creating that infrastructure involves a lot of up-front cost and development headache, so I don't blame them for taking the PayPal route for now.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgladm View Post
Hi,

That's it.

Regarding the Premium Program - you don't need to be premium provider to have a portfolio or get work. Approximately half of the work on the platform is performed by basic (non-premium) providers. Having said that there are a few hundred premium providers and tens of thousands of basic providers, so premium providers are much more likely to get work on a per-provider basis. Premium providers get increased visibility and show up above basic providers.

The premium program is by application and we accept a small percentage of applicants taking into account skill and experience, as well as platform need at that time for their specialty. This allows us to float providers we've had an opportunity to vet and feel good about introducing to clients, while keeping a balanced marketplace ensuring we can provide premiums with a good return on their investment.

Your idea to direct offline clients to hire you through SoundBetter. We've seen providers do this and it's worked for them. Having vetted reviews on a 3rd party platform increases trust in your profile for remote clients considering hiring you. Clients also feel better about hiring through SoundBetter than directly. In addition, getting many verified reviews boosts your visibility on SoundBetter, which typically translates to more work from clients that we bring to the platform.

I could not find that info anywhere on the site when I signed up as a provider... thank you!

Maybe put that info up on the FAQ?
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Quote:
Hi,

That's it.

I could not find that info anywhere on the site when I signed up as a provider... thank you!

Maybe put that info up on the FAQ?
Thanks for the feedback bgood.
You'll see the fee when you create a proposal to respond to a client inquiry.
We'll also look to add it to the FAQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback bgood.
You'll see the fee when you create a proposal to respond to a client inquiry.
We'll also look to add it to the FAQ.
Roger that...

I see it when the gigs come up, but, definitely add it to the FAQ my man... yours is the most professional site I’ve seen to date, and pros should have all of this info before they submit proposals I think.

A couple of suggestions... add an option by which the cost of a project can be modified. so, should I accept a gig as a vocalist or musician but find that the client wants me to rearrange the tune or rewrite lyrics or melody I have an ability to say “yes” and have a way to be paid for it that is attached to that same transaction... I suppose I can do that with the request funding deal, but, it’s not a clean solution. It should be one transaction in my opinion.

Also, I always do this via email, but, I wish a site would include a quick and easy click box form that generates a short contract that both parties “sign”... designating scope of work, just a work for hire side man or co-writer and PRO info, etc... just a thought

In my experience there seems to way more people making music and fewer understanding how the biz side works... It’d be nice to have a service set up in such a way that it helps educates the new folks on the day one aspects of hiring talent...

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I love the site. One thing that really stands out is that once the project is closer, the $$$ immediately is sent to my PayPal account... you guys don’t hold onto it for even 10 seconds. I dig that a lot.

Last edited by bgood; 4 weeks ago at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve gotten a couple of “jobs” lately where I’m asked for a proposal at cheapo budgets... if I have a hole in my schedule I’ll accept them... and then the client does this deal where he wants me to do a short demo and see if my voice is a good fit for his tiny budget tune

This doesn’t seem to me the way the site is supposed to work... I think of this site as more pro where they deposit their budget, hire talent and the funds are released when the job is done... not some amateurs hour free audition deal..

am I being an elitist jerk?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

@ bgood -- my inquiries on Soundbetter have actually slowed way down overall, I got several really nice projects this year but haven't gotten even a nibble in several months.

When I was getting bites, I did get a lot of low-ball people who weren't ready to pay a fair session rate. I just gently told them the deal and that I wasn't the right fit for them. I think in any platform like that, you'll inevitably find people who want something for next to nothing.

I also recently learned that Soundbetter was acquired by Spotify, if I'm not mistaken. That made me a bit sad. Good for the founders of the company, I'm sure, but I can't imagine the organization being owned by Spotify will end up working in favor for creative professionals. Spotify isn't exactly... known... for helping creative professionals make a living wage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search