The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How To Talk To Strangers
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

How To Talk To Strangers

Hello, Gearslutzers!

We all know that going up to bands or fellow engineers after a gig to introduce yourself can be terrifying. Your anxiety level is at its highest and before you decide to jump, you wished you had stayed home that night. Or for the night to finally be over.

Same goes if you are at a networking event, alone, you want nothing more than to be done with the night.

However, these are situations you will probably find yourself in when you are trying to build your network and eventually find work through.

So, how can you get over this fear and start walking up to strangers and introduce yourself, whether at a concert or at a networking event?

Ramit Sethi from I Will Teach You To Be Rich did a great article where he shares some great tips on How To Talk To People.

Some of the things he mentions are:
  1. There are no magic lines or phrases, rather, it’s how you say things.
  2. Smile - sounds easy, but often gets overlooked.
  3. Slow down - the speed in which we say something can have a huge effect on how people perceive us.

These are really good things to keep in mind when you are next out networking!

Practice Makes Perfect

Have you found that the more you do something that is hard, the easier it gets?

Same thing with talking to people.

The more you can put yourself in a situation where you have to talk to strangers, and this can be at your local coffee shop when ordering a coffee, instead of just asking for a coffee, ask them how their day is going - start a conversation.

You Won’t Die

There have been so many times, either at gigs or at networking events, where I have been dreading to go talk to people, almost feeling like you won’t be able to do it and that something bad will happen.

But does it, ever?

Of course not!

However, this fear that holds many of us back is completely unjustified.

People Love To Get Compliments

If your plan is to get to know more local bands or engineers, remember that people usually love to get compliments on their music and/or work.

Wouldn’t you love it if someone walked up to you to praise your work after a show, either if you played or was doing the sound?

I know I would.

This is the perfect ice breaker and opens up many more possibilities to take the conversation further. For example, you can ask about their up and coming shows, are they working on some new music, do they need a studio to record in (this is where you can jump in and offer them a visit yours).

The same applies if you know or recognise a person at a networking event whose work you love. Compliment them.

Bring A Friend

If you find it too difficult to do this by yourself, don’t hesitate to ask a friend to come along.

Having someone there with you can work wonders and give you that extra boost you need in certain situations.

I hope this was helpful and let me know in the comments below what you think!
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockerjam View Post
If your plan is to get to know more local bands or engineers, remember that people usually love to get compliments on their music and/or work.

Wouldn’t you love it if someone walked up to you to praise your work after a show, either if you played or was doing the sound?

I know I would.
Right. But this being a site about gear and sound, I think it's important to point out that you need to praise the person, not their stuff. "I love your amp" is bad. "I love your playing" is good. It helps if you actually do love their playing, but it's not 100% essential.
Old 26th July 2019
“We all know that going up to bands or fellow engineers after a gig to introduce yourself can be terrifying. Your anxiety level is at its highest and before you decide to jump, you wished you had stayed home that night. Or for the night to finally be over.”

Err...it is? Honestly can’t say I’ve found this - lots of situations I can be awkward in but not this one!
Old 26th July 2019
“We all know that going up to bands or fellow engineers after a gig to introduce yourself can be terrifying. Your anxiety level is at its highest and before you decide to jump, you wished you had stayed home that night. Or for the night to finally be over.”

Err...it is? Honestly can’t say I’ve found this - lots of situations I can be awkward in but not this one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search