The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How To Find More Time And Balance Multiple Projects
Old 5th June 2019
Here for the gear

How To Find More Time And Balance Multiple Projects

Hi Gearslutzers!

Finding enough time in a day can hard, especially if you are trying to balance multiple projects or things to accomplish. For example, writing songs, pitching your music to labels, networking, finding more clients, etc.

There are two very important factors that I have found works very well for me. These simple “techniques” have helped me stay organised and allowed me to pursue multiple projects at the same time.

The word, “organised”, is key here.

If you don’t break down what you want to achieve and a plan to get there you will most likely not achieve it.

Let me show you how to do it.

I have several projects going on at the moment. For example, finishing my second library/sync album and pitching it. Scheduling interviews. Researching interviewees. Live gigs. Composing music for a play, etc.

How I balance all these projects is by being organised.

Therefore, every week I write down in Evernote what I will do each day to accomplish these goals. By breaking the main goal down into small steps and taking those small steps each day allows me to accomplish what I set out to do.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed thinking that you have so much to do and you need to do it all TODAY. However, my tip here is trying to be realistic about it.

Perhaps you can’t do all your goals in one week, but if you allow yourself two weeks or a month it starts to look possible. And it allows you to reduce your stress level, too.

If you are anything like me, you want everything to be done yesterday. Even though it’s nice to be excited about stuff, being a bit more relaxed and realistic about things has helped me a lot.

Another benefit of being organised is that you don’t have to work 12 hours/day. By being organised you can actually reduce your working hours and still achieve your goals within a reasonable time. And keep your health intact.

Social Media

You have probably heard people talking about quitting social media for a month or so. It might sound lame to you, I know it did for me, but doing it has actually given me a lot of spare time.

This doesn’t only apply to social media, but emails, or other internet-based obsessions, too.

Not being glued to these platforms, checking them every 10 minutes or so, has reduced my stress level. And it allowed me to be much more productive than before. I actually found myself not knowing what to do for a few days because I was done early with my set goals for the day.

With all this spare time I can do more in a day than I could do before.

I hope this relatively short post can help people in situations like these! Let me know what you think in the comments and feel free to share your own tips, too!
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Head
I'm struggling because music is/will always be a hobby for me, and I lack confidence in what I do. So I have this huge pile of unfinished projects piling up....

I recently spent some time organising the ideas in one place, on a mind map and whilst it seemed a useful exercise I now worry that I'm just procrastinating in a new way!

What level due you break down future activities so that it's "easy" to just do them? And do you schedule when you expect to do them?
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
I'm struggling because music is/will always be a hobby for me, and I lack confidence in what I do. So I have this huge pile of unfinished projects piling up....

I recently spent some time organising the ideas in one place, on a mind map and whilst it seemed a useful exercise I now worry that I'm just procrastinating in a new way!

What level due you break down future activities so that it's "easy" to just do them? And do you schedule when you expect to do them?
Hi man,

Great that you planned them out on a mind map. However, what do you mean procrastinating in a new way?

How I break down goals is fairly simple. Since I know what the end goal is, for example, release an album, I know that I have to start with coming up with ideas, then compiling those ideas to songs, record them, mix, master, etc.

I will dedicate some time where I just jam on new ideas, and how long to be in the studio, mix and so forth. This way I focus on one process at the time.

Hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any other questions

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search