The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcould vs Bandcamp - How to drive traffic on social media
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Soundcould vs Bandcamp - How to drive traffic on social media

For many home recorders, songwriters and just starting producers it is important to just get TRACTION. I have just signed up with both of them (Bandcamp/Soundcloud) Word in the street was always use Soundcloud for social buzz and Bandcamp for professional delivery of sales. Well its been almost 12 hours since a test launch into these markets. (Aside from anomalies) I had 600 plays on aneclectic song on Soundcloud and 0 plays on Bandcamp. So far the word is holding up. I was surprised of the reach of Soundcloud. [and ya I heard about the bots] but I received strong play in a few pockets (Kathmandu Nepal - Wilmington Delaware and Albania. I know most are not AI because of the interaction I have had through various channels. I am getting set up to drive a more popular type tune soon. What unknown tricks do you use to drive traffic and social media? What proven must do s should everyone do? Any and all input would be nice. thanks in advance...
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Buddy Holly and the............................................... crickets.....
Old 4th June 2019
I can tell you that SC can be linked to Twitter. You can share what you do in SC on Twitter.
With some good hashtag choices you can greatly improve your listening crowd.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Guru

I only use either of them as a way to get artists and producers and music supervisors to listen to my stuff without the "unsolicited material" hangups.

As far as live audiences are concerned, if they liked what they just heard they can buy a recording of it. Never more than 3 or 4 songs, laptop-duplicated, no artwork. Just a handwritten CD label and my business card stapled to the sleeve. I just say something like, "... there's a stack of 'em right next to the coffee can. Go ahead and take one, and the money all goes to the crew."
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yea - I would say that using it as an easy access cloud storage for professional use is the choice of most. Missing all the "solicitation" stuff. As far as getting exposure and eyes on project they lack greatly. I do not really see much point in directing social media to SC. On a new note - I have found out using animated GIFS work real well on Twitter Instagram Facebook etc. It is nice to have a custom 10 or 60 frame HTML movie slid into where a photo or image usually goes - gets a lot of attention. ALSO nice to embed a link into a looping image... works nice. If you make an irritating loop I am sure you'll get massive audience. Doubt many will do that. LOL Now I am just studying HTML and Alt text for search engine ranking and indexing...
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
LOL Now I am just studying HTML and Alt text for search engine ranking and indexing...
I devoted way too much time to that about 5 years ago. Seemed to have zero benefit in the SEO sense. On the other hand, I did discover that I could drop "a jackalope and a nun walk into a bar" into a clump of code and Google would find it.

PS -- I took it back out, sorry.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict
Youtube seems to be the king of sharing music. If you want yours to get shared, a youtube link is probably more popular and acceptable to the average stranger than a Soundcloud link. Think of all the baggage that comes with the soundcloud stereotypes...
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I devoted way too much time to that about 5 years ago. Seemed to have zero benefit in the SEO sense. On the other hand, I did discover that I could drop "a jackalope and a nun walk into a bar" into a clump of code and Google would find it.

PS -- I took it back out, sorry.
RLOL Yea you can spend too much time in a heartbeat. They make a huge difference if you can lever it IMO - but alas the big control is that the platforms can control the relevancy/change of the info you put up. But the one way to actually control the indexing and ranking is through a self owned static IP: HTTPS:... (too bad I do not have one yet/but I am sure I could do it for a while on a dynamic address - just set it to static. Maybe it would last 6 months maybe a couple years?)
With all these clouds and interconnects There is only so much effort worth putting into it - until you have a bonafide static IP. That way the alt text (as YOU write them) and images/links etc. have to stick. A funny thing... As a test I put up a buried image of a complicated abstract self made music poster. And it could not be found anywhere. But when I ran google image search it popped right up. And the search had all the comparable possibilities of other images and relevancies. There was a super market ad from Cali almost exact colors and shapes. As well as many foreign images that quite closely replicated my poster whether just in text placement or other similarities. Mind you I made the test poster like - non mathematical and fractalled-like one of a kind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search