The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Unpublished Cover Song to Demonstrate Studio Service
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Head

Using Unpublished Cover Song to Demonstrate Studio Service

Hey, I recorded and mixed a cover song. Initially it was done for private use.
I would now like to show this to potential customers of my audio engineering service. I would like to publish this on a website (by stream) in conjunction with my service offerings (editing, mixing...).

Is this ok? Do I need to acquire rights /pay fees to use this song?
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Addict

Yes u need to buy a license for using someone's work
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

yeah, makes sense. I'll contact the organisation that seems to deal with the rights if I still want to use that recording.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

When they don't hit you back because they don't have time for small potatoes that do nothing but cost them money and energy, just use the song man. You aren't AT&T using it for an advertisement, or an artist releasing it on Spotify. Its a sample of your work for prospective clients. Done all the time. No one's gonna have an issue.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head

I bet you're right, I'll consider that. But I'm pretty sure the organisation (probably) responsible here in Germany, the "Gema", will give me an answer...
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
When they don't hit you back because they don't have time for small potatoes that do nothing but cost them money and energy, just use the song man. You aren't AT&T using it for an advertisement, or an artist releasing it on Spotify. Its a sample of your work for prospective clients. Done all the time. No one's gonna have an issue.
I would not give that kind of advice, in particular to someone living in Germany, unless you know their laws very well. For what I know, in Germany they hit back often and the fines aren't a joke.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Germany may be different, I can't speak to Germany, good note.

Generally though all that'll happen if there's an issue is they'll take it down. I doubt that would even happen in this case, that's usually the result of Youtube or Soundcloud algorithms detecting exact recordings. Youtube is flooded with millions of covers that aren't cleared by aspiring singers/players/producers/etc. There are singers who put up a new cover every week for years, hoping for a break in the scene or some work. Exactly no one cares.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear
What you’re saying is that if you steal small time enough you might not get caught.
It’s not that “no one cares”. It’s that you slip through the cracks by being not worth the time and cost of going after you.

That isn’t a reason to encourage stealing.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
but when they do have an issue the fines and penalties can be more than stealing a song is worth

you would be surprised what they have time to do especially when they discover you are using their IP without paying
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

From an extreme angle, yes.

A clip of a cover you recorded and produced to show prospective industry clients a sample of your work is quite a stretch for "stealing." Done every single day. Your call though on where you draw the line.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
From an extreme angle, yes.

A clip of a cover you recorded and produced to show prospective industry clients a sample of your work is quite a stretch for "stealing." Done every single day. Your call though on where you draw the line.
I draw the line where the law put it.
There is fair use and there is theft.
This is in the grayish area but too close to illegal for me to risk it.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

Always find it funny when you bring this topic up and singers refused to give credit where credit was due and pay for a license.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search