The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 years in USA ,what can I do?
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

2 years in USA ,what can I do?

Hi,I'm lestat, from ShangHai China.
I have been a audio engineer about 5 years.I have my studio in ShangHai.And work with 2 recording studio.
My wife is a designer.She want to come to USA got a Degree.And we didn't know which college she will go yet.
But we know that we will be live here 2 years.
So what can I do in these 2 years?
Should I go to MI got a AA Audio Engineer program or the 6 month certificate program?
Should I find a local studio and work in there?
Or go to some course like"mix with the master?"
Which one will be more useful?
sorry for my poor English.Thank you guys for reading.
hope I can get some advise from you.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear

GUYS?
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
Are you planning on returning to China after the two years are up?

I would think about which skills are going to earn you more money when you get back to China.
Then I would book a course that will give you that skill set.

If you've been an engineer for 5 years then you already have the basics.

Also I wouldn't learn gear that you won't have access to when you get home,
in other words there's no point in getting skilled up on an SSL desk if there aren't any back home - just as an example.

From your list, "mixing with the masters" sounds like a very marketable skill to have acquired for your work going forward.

Good luck with your adventure.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

thehightenor,thanks for your answering.
I will returning China after 2 years.But I think, in this age, our work didn't limit in regions and countries.So I might sill can work for American clients.
I agree your point that I should learn the useful tools .I thought the most important skills for mixers is not how to use a tool.It's the good sounds in your mind.I think I should learn and remember the good sounds from the masters.How to get the sounds, there every got his skill for that.
And also I need something for showing my future client.It will help me to become more trusted.Such as the experience on a good famous project from a big studio.Or a degree .
And I still need to make money for my wife's learning and life.
So it's really complicated。Thank again for your answering.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Maniac
i would definitely advise against spending money to go to an institution to learn a craft you already know. go to some local studios, inquire about an internship and just be helpful. if there is another intern there doing two days a week, you do three. of all the well paid studio gigs i’ve gotten, i’ve never once been asked about where i went to school/if i went to school for audio.
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
i would definitely advise against spending money to go to an institution to learn a craft you already know. go to some local studios, inquire about an internship and just be helpful. if there is another intern there doing two days a week, you do three. of all the well paid studio gigs i’ve gotten, i’ve never once been asked about where i went to school/if i went to school for audio.
It's the same situation in China.Nobody care which school you go except the guys that came from school
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

IF your needing to make money then studio work esp intern would not be my first choice, because there are plenty trying the same thing...
I would simply try and get part time work in what ever area I have skills.
Have fun..
Recording work in the USA would differ from city to city, IM not just referring to "Available work" but the type of work if you follow me.. Not the same as a musician but some cities some people who may be VERY good & still may not have much work..

IM curious how most recording schools are doing? Busy? Slow?

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 3rd April 2019 at 01:00 PM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
IF your needing to make money then studio work esp intern would not be my first choice, because there are plenty trying the same thing...
I would simply try and get part time work in what ever area I have skills.
Have fun..

IM curious how most recording schools are doing? Busy? Slow?
All skills I have is music producing .Mabey I can be a kongfu teacher?Just kidding. Or I can play instrument for a live band, get some show for money?I don't think it will be easier than the intern in studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search