The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electrical Engineering Diploma or Degree...
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Nut

Electrical Engineering Diploma or Degree...

Okay first a little background on who I am...
I am an audio engineer who graduated from the 2nd best music school in my country(two of my teachers were platinum selling producers, 1 of my teachers works in post-house on block buster movies, and 1 of my teachers is regularly contracted for music composition), I am also an electrical engineer, I also was born with the medical phenomenon know as 'synthesia' (which means I can 'see' sound). I am also and international grade music artist and DJ.

Anyways, forget all that, ...

I just wanted to HIGHLY recommend an electrical engineering education to all aspiring, and up and coming audio engineers, electronic music artists, and sound designers.

The reason I moved on from an audio engineering education on to an electrical engineering education was because the smartest person in my entire audio engineering school was a man who hand built custom amplifiers, that are world renowned. He himself had an electrical engineering education, and he nets about $3000 a unit for those hand built amplifiers. They also fly him regularly around the world to build studios, and to upgrade the sound systems and acoustics in the world's most popular clubs.

But...
what I am getting at, is that an electrical engineering education (diploma/or degree) will take your music creating abilities to the ULTIMATE LEVEL. Think about it... everything in music is electrical. Everything aside from an amphitheater with acoustic instruments, is based on electricity. The synthesizers, the computers, the microphones, the guitars, the amplifiers etc etc etc. When you gain an electrical engineering education, you begin to understand EVERY SINGLE aspect of music production, EVERYTHING. You understand harmonics, components, build qualities, computer architecture, you understand every single chart or diagram on a whole new level, etc etc etc.

But...
get this... not only will Electrical Engineering net you the ability to become the ULTIMATE audio engineer/sound designer... IT'S ALSO ONE OF THE MOST IN DEMAND SKILL SETS.
Think about this ...
An Electrical Engineer is highly in demand from telecommunications. They are currently ALWAYS LOOKING FOR THEM! And with good reason... every single household has at least one, most times multiple cell phone contracts (each contract from $50 up to $99 a month), on top of that every single house hold has internet and digital cable (another $79 a month). Look at all the houses and apartments around you!!! All those houses are handing out money for these services.

And telecommunications is only ONE industry, that an electrical engineering education can net you access to.

One word of advice though, the educational process is one of the most labour intensive processes possible. I mean I dropped out of highschool in my teen years, but went back in my early 30's to finish, (after I graduated from audio engineering school), just so that I could go get my electrical engineering education. The entire process is centered around math. I spent about 3 years of doing math equation after math equation after math equation. (I had a fraction of my free time to spend on music during my educational process). But once it is finished you are the MASTER of the audio engineering world.

You are the Yoda.
You are the Bruce Lee.
You are the Muhammad Ali.
You are the Michael Phelps.

After its over you can go back to the music. Not only that, but you will also have a full-time job worth $40k to $60k a year, with all your free time available to your music and your clients music.

Look at all the houses and apartments around you... hundreds of dollars a month are being handed over to telecommunications companies from each house/apartment. This could be your salary.

Imagine all the gear and instruments you could buy with that salary. Not only that, but you will have the ability to HAND BUILD YOUR OWN SYNTHESIZER if you wanted.

Old 17th February 2019
Gear Guru

I'm a EE, and most of the EE's I've known (until my current job, where they actually design hardware), have never done any actual EE for a living. But even at my last job, where they designed vast quantities of hardware, EE's were all over the place - just most of the jobs weren't doing that.

As you say, EE gives you the vocabulary, analytical, and design skills to do just about anything. It's a highly regarded, demanding major. If you can graduate, you're probably pretty smart and adaptable. No downsides to it at all, unless you want to do structural engineering for a living. For that your undergrad degree really has to be ME in order to be professionally certified.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search