The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much should I charge freelancers to use my studio and another Q
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear
How much should I charge freelancers to use my studio and another Q

I have a studio that up till now only I have been using for work. I don't do this full time so half the month the studio sits empty not making any money so I was thinking about opening it up for some freelancers to bring in their clients to use the space. I have two questions about this.

1. How does payment work. Do I charge the freelancer at "freelance hourly rate" that is somewhat discounted and then he can charge his clients whatever on top of that?

2. Insurance. I talked to my insurance company and was told that any freelancer would need GL coverage and list my LLC as a additional insured. They would also like to add the lessor risk classification when I renew my insurance. This sound about right?

Thanks in advance GS!
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi man,

Just saw this post and I think I can help you out when it comes to "what should I charge?".

The best thing you can do when it comes to finding out what you should charge is to work out the value you are offering rather than just have, "this is my hourly rate" mentality.

This allows you to only to earn more money but also let you tailor each project specific to the clients needs.

In your case, you want to rent it out to other freelancers but perhaps their needs will differ for each project/session?

Maybe sometimes they need you there as an assistant or some specific gear, etc.

Therefore it's not fair on your or them to only have on rate.

There's a lot to be said on this subject and if you want to read more I'd be happy to send you the full-length article on this subject (not sure if I'm allowed to post it without getting banned)

Let me know!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search