The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Submitting my demo EP - building a career
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear
Submitting my demo EP - building a career

Hi,

after years of learning my instruments, mixing techniques and spending a good amount of time on gearslutz, I am happy to have finished my first alternative rock EP. It's currently being mastered.

My next goal is to hopefully get signed with an indie label.

Here's the issue. I've only just started playing live and haven't bothered to upload my stuff to youtube, soundloud etc. Being rather perfectionist I wanted make sure my mixing and arrangement skills are as good as possible before uploading it anywhere.

Now I am unsure what to do: On the one side, I keep reading that labels hate it when they find out that you've already published your work and won't consider it.

On the other side, I can't draw any attention to my work and build up a following if it's not online - after all I understand that being an established artist definitely makes it easier for a label to decide whether to sign somebody or not.

Is there a chance that labels will give a it shot even though I am not racking up a few thousand likes on facebook? Or would you recommend going for the slow burn and start by self-publishing? Aside from soundcloud, youtube and bandcamp - Which platforms do you recommend to pitch my work?

Thanks!
Old 9th February 2019
Congratulations
TBH, you need to ask yourself WHY you want a label signing. What will the label do that you can't do yourself?
What can you offer a label? You've kind of answered that with your understanding of the numbers game.

The YouTube route is fine, but put up live performances, and short clips.

To get somewhere, you need to go somewhere. Do your fans know of you and your work?

The music and production is only a small slice

Dan
Old 23rd February 2019
Use this one to get attention for the next one.

Even assuming you need/want a label deal, people with no self generated buzz aren’t signed anymore really. You don’t have a great deal of choice - no point sitting on it for a year now it’s finished!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search