The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I Ask For a Studio Job or Internship?
Old 21st December 2018
Here for the gear

Do I Ask For a Studio Job or Internship?

Hello! I'm a 20 year old engineer/producer enrolled at a university for music production. I'm about to start my 4th semester but the only problem is I find it pointless and a waste of money. I could teach myself these things much faster on my own time and simply by experiencing it in the real world. So I plan on dropping out and diving right into the industry. Besides auditioning and making it into this program my resume includes a year long internship that I did in high school at a local recording studio and 2 EPs and 1 album that I wrote, recorded and mixed.

Would this be good enough to ask to be hired in some way at a recording studio? Or do I have to just get an internship even though I already completed one? If I'm going to drop out of college and potentially move I would really like to get paid.

Thanks!
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

do studios hire nowadays?
Old 24th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17shankooln View Post
Would this be good enough to ask to be hired in some way at a recording studio?
The best thing you can do is basically some sort of outside sales. Almost any studio (doing music at least) pretty much has the current work load covered. Going in there to ask for a job is just asking to have us give some of our work (and income) to you...

If you want income, the most direct path is to go to a few studios and tell them you are going to go hustle up work, and ask if they are willing to find a way to make that fit into what they are doing. Then go do it.

IMO EVERYONE in the entertainment business is a small business unto themselves. Even at the highest levels, they just have lots of partnerships and JV's etc. Time to start that business and focus on the advertising/promo/sales part of it.

If you walk into my studio with clients not knowing what to do with them, no problem, you're hired. If you come in knowing what to do with the clients you don't have, well, at best it's going to be a long road and at the end of it you're still going to have to build a name for yourself and get/build a client base...
Old 24th December 2018
Lives for gear

The above. Based on what you've said, you don't have the experience and credits (2 self produced EPs and an album?) to walk into a studio and ask for a job. Unless you/your band is paying for the studio time you need external clients. Go back to the studio you had a year long internship with...will they hire you? I'm guessing not, they probably just rotate interns around and don't "hire" anybody. Or maybe you made such an impression on that studio owner that they will provide a referral for you go somewhere else.

Yeah, in the big picture, attending school for music production is probably a waste of money. Its not a fast track to getting hired, the likelihood of you making your investment back in any kind of hurry is slim to none. But if you drop out now (how much is left to achieve your...certificate or whatever), you'll have to figure out how to pay your student loans right away, and your college experience will be even more worthless because you won't really want to go up to a potential employer and advertise that you dropped out.

Can you change your program to something else...? Something that could translate into a career? Keep going to school but work with bands in your off time. You need to get chummy with your music scene (at 20 this may be limited) and studio owners...find a studio you can book for a reasonable day rate that you know your clients will pay for...if the rate is low enough, pad that amount a little bit for yourself...ta da, you're now getting paid.
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Addict
I don't know how doing a course is going to help you get a job. If I were you I'd see if I could get an internship at a studio where there are people who really know their craft.

Learn everything you possibly can in the year. Maybe they'll let you record using the equipment when the studio isn't in use? Either way you'll come out being far more skilled.

I'm dubious as to the whole studios hiring people these days. I tried for years to get into studios and get work and ended up going it alone and starting my own business. Ultimately budgets seem to be tighter these days (in my experience) and I would rather do all the work myself and take the money than hire somebody to work with me or outsource.

What seems to matter is reputation, people skills and experience so I'd focus on those.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

stay in school. if it is a real bachelors degree it will help you in the long run.
Old 16th January 2019
people skills is no1 above everything else, and stay on your course to the very end, don't drop out thinking you'll just 'make it' that's not how it works out, especially thesedays, staying on til the end proves to employers you've got what it takes and can cope under pressure, even if you were overqualified for a job, they'll see you in a different light, take it from somebody who dropped out of uni, it's a BAD idea, my friends who carried on are now earning 4x more than me, my friends that never went to uni some of them did well but most of them are struggling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search