The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did you go about setting up your first studio?
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Addict
How did you go about setting up your first studio?

I've spent most of my time doing the modern thing of having a mixing room in my house. It's treated and I have top notch gear but it doesn't help me when it comes to recording bands.

Few quick questions:
  • So how on earth did you guys with studios get yourself in a position where you could fund and maintain a studio?
  • How did you first go about getting started?
  • What sort of overhead costs do you have each month?

I have bands wanting to work with me doing recording, but have no studio. So I'm constantly renting studios to do the work. At the end, there's not a huge amount left. It's my sole income so I'm in a chicken/egg situation where if I had a studio I could make more money, but ultimately I don't lol.

Don't have any saving right now as I quit my job 4 years ago to do this full time and I've invested in treatment and a solid setup.
  • What were your stories in how you branched out or set up a studio?

I'm based in the UK.

Last edited by theillusionist; 19th December 2018 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: trimmed down an essay into a question
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Maniac
i’m in the exact same position, in LA. constantly on craiglist trying to find studio space for rent, but no progress. i have no idea how people funded building a modest sized work space. someone who can lend their knowledge please chime in!
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Solder, solder, solder.

buy cable, buy connectors, solder, solder, solder.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
i’m in the exact same position, in LA. constantly on craiglist trying to find studio space for rent, but no progress. i have no idea how people funded building a modest sized work space. someone who can lend their knowledge please chime in!
It seems such a leap. And finding the right place is hard, especially at a reasonable price. Places I contact don't want anything to do with a business that makes noise lol.

My current plan is moving out into a studio that has rehearsal rooms. They don't have bands in during the day so I plan on renting a room for 12 months there. It's just an empty room so it needs treating etc but at least it's a starting point and it means I don't have to track people in my house which I just think comes across unprofessional and it's an intrusion on my family's privacy. I'll have to rent other studios for drums but at least it'll mean I don't have to rent a studio for the entire process.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

worked for over 25 years in family biz ...then put a mix and o/d booth in my home..deductions keeps my rate under 100 hr ... when i need to cut drums ..string sections or horn sections i rent a studio at their rate plus 20 and split the subsequent rate 50/50 bascally i eat the tracking for the overdub...mix master time
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
... bascally i eat the tracking for the overdub...mix master time
So you get a commitment from the client up from to do the whole project? People here are so effing sly in that regard. You can hire a band for basics and every player on the session will hit up the client behind your back -- or even in front of your front -- to cut o/d's and mix at their home studios.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So you get a commitment from the client up from to do the whole project? People here are so effing sly in that regard. You can hire a band for basics and every player on the session will hit up the client behind your back -- or even in front of your front -- to cut o/d's and mix at their home studios.
.nah with the sigma name people in Philly know not to go there..most of the time it's a full band to begin with .but if it's an artist and I'm producing I got a well of a few dozen great players in multi genres who I trust with the keys to my home.. remember..I'll be 62 in exactly a month

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search