The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Assistant Superhero
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Assistant Superhero

Hey Everybody!

TLDR: What traits are you looking for in an assistant?

A few months ago, I entered a work relationship with a very nice studio, in which I trade electrical services for studio time. (I'm an electrical engineering student)
Also, I assist some of the sessions if there's demand, as well as take some of the jobs from time to time.
Lately, I started looking for an assistant myself for some bigger sessions and found one from one of the local engineering schools.
Even though I've been assisting quite a few sessions, having an assistant myself showed me an entirely different perspective. First of all, I wasn't really happy with him as an assistant, because he did the following:

- BIGGIE: Talking to me about something while I am working on another problem
- Generally standing and sitting in the way too much
- No real sense for hospitality for the talent
- Being too excited, started to F**** beatbox while I try to listen to what's going on. (While kinda funny, also a bit awkward)
- Asking too many questions in moments of concentration.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm ok with people needing time to fit in the work, so I gave him the harsh feedback, but also consider to get him for another session for another chance.

Anyways, I believe this shift of perspective, also makes me a better assistant. It gives me a better understanding of what engineers want from assistant and what they don't.
Most importantly probably, if not asked, be interested but almost invisible unless asked for and be a good host.

Anyways, what are your experiences in that regard? What are you looking for in an assistant? Got some interesting stories to share? I am sure, this can also help people who are looking for assistant positions to make a good impression, which is everything. It's not uncommon in this industry to see interns and assistants only once.
Old 13th December 2018
I can't afford to hire an assistant but if I could, they'd have to be almost completely invisible and not ask questions like 'what speakers do you use' 'what interface do you use' if they don't know it's a bit of a red flag, they should be interested in my ability to make something that sounds like trash and make it sound great, tird polishing is my job, and lots and lots of editing.
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

Honestly, I wouldn't really pay an assistant if I didn't know whether he is actually contributing positively to the production. There's definitely a difference between a professional assistant who knows what he does and one who comes straight from audio school or is still attending. Albeit, the latter could also probably be called an intern. I certainly know a few people who are so good in what they do that they are worth their weight in gold!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search