The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Donation-based professional studio
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Head

Donation-based professional studio

Many businesses operate successfully on a donation basis. Have any of you tried running a professional studio this way? If so could you relate a bit of your experience? Thanks!
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

Bump

Anyone try this?
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

My keyboard repair guy does this, he says "donations gladly accepted" after he's done with the repair. I'm sure he does it so that it keeps it under the table for tax reasons. I personally find it stressful because I don't really know what he would charge normally for the repair, I don't want to underpay and I don't want to over pay either. I probably end up giving him more than he would normally charge because I'm afraid of underpaying. But now I'm thinking of finding a different repair guy because I don't want to have to go through that dance any time I need something repaired. Personally I think if someone is providing a service (such as a studio in your example) it should be an agreed upon fixed rate up front. But that's just my 2c
Old 26th October 2018
I’d think it would be a very bad idea, given the attitudes of some people and the probation of those willing to “record mix and master” for $50/song devaluing the process in the eyes of the amateur!
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Head

I agree the client’s perceived value could be problem. It’s a concern not limited to donation based studios, however. How is it dealt with in a traditional studio when a client doesn’t see the value given both your price and your services? Do you discount? Hold back the masters if they don’t pay? Try to convince them that “you’re worth it”?
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

The problem is if you take your average singer they pretty much believe strongly believe I'd say that you should record them for free because they are that good. So based on that business model a donation would be even harder to get
Than the traditional booking
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentstudios View Post
I agree the client’s perceived value could be problem. It’s a concern not limited to donation based studios, however. How is it dealt with in a traditional studio when a client doesn’t see the value given both your price and your services? Do you discount? Hold back the masters if they don’t pay? Try to convince them that “you’re worth it”?
The problem is that unlike a restaurant, your average amateur client probably won’t know what a studio rate is meant to be. So they might think they’re being really generous offering $200/day, when you would expect closer to 500 for a “real” booking for example.

How does the traditional model work? Agreed fee up front, deposit at time of booking, no work released until agreed fee paid. If the client doesn’t agree rates, they don’t make a booking.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

Ask someone that works as a waiter how the tips revenue works from the average customer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search