The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Big contemplation.. need a little guidance here. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 7th September 2018
Big contemplation.. need a little guidance here.

I'm not sure where this thread belongs.. strike me down if its in the wrong spot for I apologize if it is. Anyways, I have had a studio, in a real capacity, for the last 5 years and over 10 years before that in an entry level capacity. I just lost the warehouse studio space where I housed my studio that had a control room and live room. It took a while to get it how I liked it. I recently lost this space in an argument with a ****ty landlord that wasn't being responsible and long story short I got out of there. The move took about 30 or 40 carloads and a months worth of time. Back at home I live in a 4 room shotgun house in New Orleans. I pay the rent and make my profit/savings renting out all of the rooms. I've since had to move my whole studio back to my house which has taken the space of 3 out of 4 listings that I had for rental. Now all of my rent relies on one room. This brings me from living comfortably to living paycheck to paycheck. Between the loss of income and the loss of space in my house, I'm having a breakdown which is leading to a contemplative state. I was moving a big standalone closet full of guitar pedals and peripherals around just to find that there's no real space for it. I feel this knocked something loose in my head when I bumped it against my head with the wall on the other side. That's where this reach out to the community comes in. I'm having a hard time choosing the right thing to do. Needless to say I'm contemplating selling it all. 1" analog tape machine, A&H board upgraded and made great over time. 4 nice guitar amps, countless pedals and outboard gear.. and the list goes on and on. My only draw back is will I regret it?? I've worked a long time to get it to the state it's in now. I remember the day when I recorded on a DP-24. I feel like I could live a less stressed life just letting it all go. I just don't know, I just don't know. Any guidance, advice, anecdotes, stories, wisdom is welcome. This community is like a family and I know that they'll help me through this rough time and decision.
Old 8th September 2018
If all the gear and equipment is not bringing in a profit, it may be time to sell and cut your losses. No sense in hanging on to something if it will financially continue to pull you under. The other re-course would be to potentially find a business partner that's willing to take a risk and re-establish a working studio with its own building.

Just some thoughts.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjonau View Post
(...) I feel like I could live a less stressed life just letting it all go. I just don't know, I just don't know. (...)
There maybe you have the beginning of an answer, I just don't know as well!

Maybe keep a few essentials and sell everything else? I know it's hard make a selection, though. I have myself collected a lot of stuff, and would have a hard time letting go of one of my 73 microphones for instance... Sometimes I try to set a mental list where I'm allowed to keep only 20 (or so!).

The happiest time of my pre-GAS life was when I could travel around the world with just my acoustic guitar, a small sound card, one mic and a pair of cans. There are so many things you can borrow, there are so many ways to get creative when the amount of gear is limited. I remember those times as... freedom.

Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search