The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many pro engineers here are also professional artists too? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Nut

How many pro engineers here are also professional artists too?

And by pro artist i mean someone who is creating & publishing your own music to an engaged audience.

I'm interested to know what that life is like, and whether it's possible. I'm hoping to see examples of people who successfully do both. Please talk about your life a bit! You will be a positive influence on my goal setting, as i'd like to create a life where i'm doing both in tandem myself.

What does your schedule look like? Are you financially secure? Are you happy? Pros and cons? Are both of your careers progressing or is only one of them progressing? Or do you feel that one of the pathways is limiting the other pathway? And for the engineers that used to be artists as well but eventually decided to focus solely on mastering?

And any other relevant things you wanna talk about would be great. This could be a really interesting thread.
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear
i create and publish my own music. there's an engaged audience of sorts. it is very very tiny.

i don't really make any money from it, but that's fine, i make a living mastering records. i just make music because i like it. i enjoy the process.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Guru

I'm a "pro engineer" in the sense that I do audio for marketing and I have a studio for that. I also do musical studio-for-hire stuff there, but it's not my main thing.

I'm an "artist" in the sense that I sometimes create music as part of the day job. I'm also a songwriter and use the studio to have fun with my songs and to help me get them heard by people who might record them or play them live.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Nut
I did this for about 5 years. I was in a professional, signed, touring band. I recorded all of our material, and I recorded most of the bands in the area. Just being totally honest, I made way more money engineering and producing. To the point where it was funding my life on tour. It was fun, but I ultimately decided to give up being a stinky guy in a van for 8 months out of the year to just focus on recording and production.

Since then, I've gotten so much better too. It sucks to look back and listen to my band's recordings and realize they sounded like butts. Maybe I didn't have the mental capacity to be spread so thin? Maybe now that I'm better at production it would be easier? I don't know. Just sharing my experience and hoping it helps. Haha.

But I will say that this is pretty common practice in the metal community. Lot's of guys are producers who are also in an active touring band. I don't hear about it as much, but I feel like it would be SUPER ideal for a hip hop guy or something. Keeping everything in house, only having to deal with yourself really. I should have been a rapper. haha
Old 20th August 2018
it's possible, but very very difficult, you need unbelievable drive and to be unrelentingly positive, a lot of people will not like your music, but it's worth doing for the few people who love it, to make money from it you need to understand the business side and take it very seriously, most amateurs do not take business seriously enough or know enough about industry standards, charge what you are worth and do not lower your price, don't smoke weed drink or hang around with drug addicts who think they are professional musicians, avoid them like the plague.
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut

What do you mean by professional engineer? Technically if a top-level artist is making money off of their music and records/engineers all of their own tracks, then by definition they are a professional engineer, because they are using their engineering skills to make money, even if they are the only artist they are engineering for. On the flip side of the term professional, people often use it to simply refer to someone who is highly skilled at something. So even with both definitions of the word professional (highly skilled vs does something for money as a career), a successful artist who engages in any sort of engineering would be considered a professional engineer.

Or do you just mean professional engineer in the sense that they engineer professionally for other artists separately from their own career?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search