The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to find an entry-level audio job (paid)? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

How to find an entry-level audio job (paid)?

Dear community,

I`ve been interning at a well-established music studio in North America for 1.5 years now. Unfortunately, I did not get an assistant engineer position, which opened all of a sudden.

Before starting the internship, I read and was told that the most important aspects of an intern are personality traits – being reliable, punctual, invisible, kind, thinking ahead, going the extra mile, being likeable, etc. and not technical skills because audio engineering graduates don`t know what they`re doing anyway (when they think they do), meaning that the real life is different than any school environment. I was very happy to receive the intern position, and I`ve done everything I could to do an outstanding job at everything I`m supposed to do. Someone with more work experience got the position, which in itself is fair, but I`m disappointed in that technical skills seem to be by far the main aspect that`s considered when hiring. I started the internship thinking that if I do a great job, show commitment, a strong willingness to learn, and always go the extra mile, those things will be recognized and potentially lead to employment, as your personality cannot be altered in a significant way at the studio, but you can always be taught the technical skills (obviously you should have a basic understanding of tracking and technical skills yourself). The way the internship is laid out, you do occasionally see what`s going on inside the studio, but you`re not involved to the degree that you get to shadow the assistant, meaning that you actually get closer to slipping into their shoes, or at least underst what pair they`re wearing. There is a significant gap between graduating audio engineering school and finding an entry-level job, and I`m not sure how to overcome that hurdle. My old paradigm dictated that the only way to get a paying entry-level job is to intern first. Though if you don`t have previous work experience in a studio, you won`t be hired to become an assistant anyway.

I`m disappointed, and I`m not sure what to do next. I`ve been unsuccessful at this for the past year and a half, so I`ll have to rethink my approach. I`ve had paying gigs (work experience) on the side, but I`ll put more emphasis on developing my technical skills now. I`ll stop interning because my potential for growth in this position is exhausted, and, no ego involved whatsoever, my work ethic is not being recognized.

Working in audio seems to be pretty impossible. The ratio of supply and demand is very unfavourable for anyone seeking employment. I have no idea how to find a paying entry-level job in this industry; it seems to be impossible. I wish I would`ve known about that before entering audio engineering school. That way, I could`ve at least tried to enroll in a program that offers or helps in finding placements after graduation.

If anyone has some input as to what I should be focusing on, how to approach the job search, or is willing to share their history of finding paid employment, I`d be grateful.

Thank you,
Baniza
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Nut

Audio Engineer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Just write a few applications and see what happens. There are plenty of jobs. But many creative dreamers think that the way to a real job in this industry is different, but it's not. If you no longer want to work in unprofessional underpaid amateur studios and really want a properly paid full-time job - then you also have to apply and deliver as you would for any other ordinary job.
Old 9th August 2018
Or intern at another studio.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, audio engineers are in greatest demand by divorce lawyers and the police, for obvious reasons.
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniza View Post
I`m disappointed, and I`m not sure what to do next. I`ve been unsuccessful at this for the past year and a half, so I`ll have to rethink my approach. I`ve had paying gigs (work experience) on the side, but I`ll put more emphasis on developing my technical skills now.

If anyone has some input as to what I should be focusing on...
Like much of the rest of the economy right now, you have to think more in terms of being an 'independent contractor' rather than an 'employee'. The best, most successful audio engineers are essentially self-employed.

If you bring business into the studio, the studio will want to keep you around. Go get bands, publicize your work, network. Establish a client base by giving people what they want and keeping them happy, then keep pushing outward. Turn your 'side gigs' into your main gig! That IS the main gig!

Your attitude is way too passive, negative, and self-defeating. Chin up! Audio engineering is a customer service job. You need to be a people pleaser, not a debbie downer. Go out and get it! Use your internship and credits as a foundation to build from, rather than a crutch to lean on.

Good luck to you, I am also trying to find my way in these uncertain times.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

You still looking?
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Update :
He's now working as a barista at starsmucks.
Old 3rd November 2018
Deleted 7f9cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Unfortunately, audio engineers are in greatest demand by divorce lawyers and the police, for obvious reasons.
I get at least 3 or 4 jobs a month from people going through a divorce who hid a small mp3 recorder in their purse or pocket. Sometimes it can be quite a challenge to clean up and polish the recording of the conversation. I don't particularly enjoy it, but they are paying jobs.

I have yet to do any work for a police department. I wonder if regular PDs have forensic audio personal.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
I wonder if regular PDs have forensic audio personal.
The US Government does, or at least it used to. I used to work at a place that the Feds outsourced their RICO wiretap tapes to. But that work went away when the Feds hired their own staff. It was a big piece of business, at least at the time.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Quote:
I`m disappointed, and I`m not sure what to do next. I`ve been unsuccessful at this for the past year and a half, so I`ll have to rethink my approach. I`ve had paying gigs (work experience) on the side, but I`ll put more emphasis on developing my technical skills now.

If anyone has some input as to what I should be focusing on...
Like much of the rest of the economy right now, you have to think more in terms of being an 'independent contractor' rather than an 'employee'. The best, most successful audio engineers are essentially self-employed.

If you bring business into the studio, the studio will want to keep you around. Go get bands, publicize your work, network. Establish a client base by giving people what they want and keeping them happy, then keep pushing outward. Turn your 'side gigs' into your main gig! That IS the main gig!

Your attitude is way too passive, negative, and self-defeating. Chin up! Audio engineering is a customer service job. You need to be a people pleaser, not a debbie downer. Go out and get it! Use your internship and credits as a foundation to build from, rather than a crutch to lean on.

Good luck to you, I am also trying to find my way in these uncertain times.
This is a good point. I got my first job at a studio because I had a band that wanted me to produce, but we wanted to use the studio. So the band booked the studio facility with me as their hired engineer. The owner liked my work and let me take phone calls or forwarded clients my way. But the point is that, if bands want you to record them, and they have the $$$ you can sort of work at any facility. The hard part is getting your client list built.
Old 14th December 2018
Motown legend

The illustrious Fletcher put it best. It's all about who knows what you know. You also need to understand that a friend of the owner or of a client will always go to the head of the line. Most paying jobs today are in post and not music. Most paying jobs in music are in touring sound.

I know a bunch of public broadcast volunteers who wound up with incredible careers in recording and post production. End-runs like that are often the fastest way forward.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

If anyone has some input as to what I should be focusing on, how to approach the job search, or is willing to share their history of finding paid employment, I`d be grateful.
One of the best "techniques" that have worked for me with getting my foot in the door in the music industry has been not to ask for work.

Instead, I have asked people out for coffees/drinks to see if I can pick their brain. This has led to some pretty cool opportunities and paid work.

Ask if you can shadow someone, you might end up doing it for free for a while but can definitely lead to paid work.

If you want I can send you some more info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search