The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
College, Internships, and Getting into the Music Industry
Old 19th June 2018
Here for the gear

College, Internships, and Getting into the Music Industry

I am currently enrolling as a Freshman at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro as a music major. This I feel was a mistake for me as a major because my goal is to work within the music industry. Obviously, I am young and have the dream of being a rock star, but for now, I would like to get a college degree that would help me achieve my goal. I have recently been thinking of building guitar pedals and effects so that has led me to electrical engineering. Now I have decided to combine that with audio engineering and I end up with Audio Electrical Engineering. From finally coming to this conclusion on what I know I must do with my life, my new obstacle is getting on the path to doing so and as far as my logic would dictate, looking for a little direction from the inside can be most helpful If anyone has any advice at all please let me know. Thank you so much.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Wow. Alot going on here. People who are following the "ROCK STAR" route are not really music major types. Most rock star types are following some kind of performance route, or actively performing and touring at your age.

Do you like to entertain people and be in front of an audience? Do you write songs and have the burning need to perform them in front of people? You also say you want to make money building pedals. Good luck to you, because that is a VERY crowded field. The audio engineering path is one that is best coupled with an electrical engineering degree, because with an EE you can actually make a living wage, and audio engineers starve for many years before they can make a living wage. What instrument do you play? What "music major" path are you following? Performance or academic / teaching?

Unfortunately, there are no easy routes to stardom. But there is alot of starving and struggling. And failing. A kid I know is going to App State, and he is following 2 paths...Audio Engineering / Music Business. He had to audition for the music school, and was able to gain entrance because of his piano skills. However, he has no desire to be a music major. He is doing his second year of summer internship, last year he worked in NYC at Engine Room as a runner / assistant, and was barely being paid. He delivered food to make money. His parents paid his rent. This summer he is in Aspen Colorado doing the summer festival there, he is making minimum wage, and lives in a apartment provided by App State.

He is seeing that, in the music industry today, playing live and being on the road is a viable way to make a living wage. He has friends who have already declared bankruptcy (At 24 yrs old) and seen how hard it is to make a living as an Audio Engineer, who specializes in Music Production. There are ways to make money in the broadcast space, but if music is important to you, you might not like it. If you are serious about being an Audio/Music Engineer production person, I think you need to be an electrical engineer too. Or at least Be fluent in reading schematics and UNDERSTANDING how communication electronics work. And learn how to solder. And be good at Math, at least Algebra/Algebra 2. On top of being a solid musician.
It is ALOT to ask, with very little reward, for AT LEAST 5 years. Music Major is Great if you want to teach. You need a performance major if you want to have a great set of chops and a solid understanding of how music works. I think you are on the right track with Audio Engineer coupled with being an EE. Also, being closer to the real music industry, in your case Nashville, would give you a better idea of what the Music industry is about on a daily basis. Belmont University, and MTSU, both have music industry concentrations. At this point, I would forget the pedal builder route. You will be VERY SUPRISED at how much time and trial and error and failure it takes to get something that works the way you intend it to. I think your time is better spent getting the EE degree. Good Luck to you, what ever you choose to do...
Old 20th June 2018
My advice is get your BS in Electrical Engineering --it'll open up opportunities and won't restrict you when hunting for jobs later. If you still happen to want to be in music/audio production then great! you can still do that.

just my 2Cents
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search