The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pricing question: Production "Arranger"
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Pricing question: Production "Arranger"

Hey,

I'm a freelance music producer/track maker.

The problem
I've come to a situation where a client of mine is asking me to take over music that's created by a different producer/track maker.
From the work scope, it seems like I'll be taking over the project but as an Arranger.

I have no idea how much to charge (Hourly, by %, by % of original producers cost, etc.).

Ok. so, what are you working with?
I have the freedom to be as creative as if it's my original work. The below scope is not definite and should be worked on if I feel its necessary to improve the music.

The work scope pretty much looks something like this:
- Moving sections and blocks around.
- Add and/or Replace Instrumentation.
- Adding FX's, turnarounds, transitions, ghost notes, etc to enhance groove and musicality.
- Add appropriate cliches and current trends to form production identity.
- Tune and Comp recorded vocal takes.

Some things I can't really mess with are Chord Progressions, hooks and maybe re-recording Vocals.

What are you thinking?
I'm thinking of asking my client how much the original producer charged and charge 50% of that or 100%. ie: (Original/Me) - 100/50 or 100/100.
However, this method and the hourly method totally depends on the workload which I won't know for certain until I start working on it. Which means, if I go the hourly route, its possible my client may end up paying more than what they've already spent on the original (which, IMO, won't look attractive)...And then I get stuck on moving forward...

Any thoughts?

Best,
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

I think it depends on your usual rates, your skill level, your relationship with the artist, and how much work needs to be done.

Really you should be having this discussion with your client. Communicate effectively and make sure that everyone’s expectations are fully understood.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search