The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Would Charging Clients For Adding MY "SAUCE" In Their Mix Be Called?
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

What Would Charging Clients For Adding MY "SAUCE" In Their Mix Be Called?

Hey folks!
So I am thinking it is time to charge and throw rates on my website for artists who just want me to mix their songs as is.
OR if they want me to rearrange sections/vocals/sounds, mute sections/instruments, have them record things over - or record different things for ideas, and adding sound effects or adding anything else into their songs. Basically transforming their song in not only their vision, but my vision a well - if they trust me to do so.
I do this a lot. Most times artists will either send me a mix, or record at my spot and let me go all out with their mix and do whatever I want as long as they like it as well. I know that may sound a bit narcissistic or something, but some artists actually want me to do this!

EXAMPLE:
- $$$ for mixing multi-track beat with vocals, and (X amount) revisions
OR
- $$$ for mixing multi-track beat with vocals....arrangement? Adding sounds? Full production?

I was wondering if you kind folks could give me tips or advice on what that would be called?
Arrangement? Post production? Production?
Basically I want to give the clients a price for MY sauce, instead of just mixing what they have as is!

What would this fall under?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
- T
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Nut

You're getting into the realm of production and perhaps into the idea of a co-writing credit. In addition to figuring out what that is worth, I would definitely start a publishing company and work the 'long-game' of co-writing as a revenue stream.

This is where you want to do some homework.
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone else that can chime in?
Old 2nd April 2018
Post some examples. You might consider going to NAMM (or other music cons) to network.
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Post some examples. You might consider going to NAMM (or other music cons) to network.
Err...NAMM is "the world’s largest trade-only event for the music products industry". It's a gear show, not a networking event.

There's plenty of networking events of course, but I'm not sure that's the best use of resources.

As for the OP, it's called "additional production".
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Err...NAMM is "the world’s largest trade-only event for the music products industry". It's a gear show, not a networking event.
Well... NAMM and AES sorta are networking events, too. I mean, when were you ever on the floor at one when you saw some audio or music celebrity NOT being chatted up? I think for a good number of people, that's the real reason they go. Guy walking right at me, he gets close enough to read my badge, his eyes register "aww, he's nobody," and he veers off.
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Well... NAMM and AES sorta are networking events, too. I mean, when were you ever on the floor at one when you saw some audio or music celebrity NOT being chatted up? I think for a good number of people, that's the real reason they go. Guy walking right at me, he gets close enough to read my badge, his eyes register "aww, he's nobody," and he veers off.
True - still possibly not the best resource for a non-celebrity to find clients though!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search