The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making ££ using Karaoke versions Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Head

Making ££ using Karaoke versions

Hi Folks,

The title says it all really. I'm interested to know what the legalities are with regard to making money using tracks downloaded from Ameritz, or say from a karaoke version CD.

If this was something someone wanted to do regularly what kind of licensing options would be required?

E
Old 21st February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry View Post
Hi Folks,

The title says it all really. I'm interested to know what the legalities are with regard to making money using tracks downloaded from Ameritz, or say from a karaoke version CD.

If this was something someone wanted to do regularly what kind of licensing options would be required?

E
You'd need to check the usage rights.

There are 2 forms of copyright - that of the song (publishing), and that of the particular recording.

A "karaoke" recording of an originally released song is relatively straightforward as far as publishing goes - you just apply for a license (Harry Fox Agency is a good place to start). It's a royalty. This is how the karaoke house sells the backing track in the first place - the publishing goes to the writers.

You aren't allowed to change it in any way (lyrics, using as a sample etc). If you want to do that..well, you probably wouldn't get permission.

The other copyright is to do with that specific recording (made by the company selling the CD or backing track). Their terms probably say you can't distribute it. So you'd need to contact them to get permission, and expect to pay upfront for it (if it's even possible). It may well be cheaper to commission someone to do a bespoke track for you - it'd probably sound better for sure.

If you can't get WAV files to work from at the least - well, MP3s have been used on released tracks for sure, but it's not a recipe for sonic excellence.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Head

thanks for your post.

So if I wanted to have a catalog of karaoke tracks to pick from at the studio and I got permission from say karaoke version or Ameritz to use them exclusively, I'd still need an individual license for each track to cover publishing copyright in order to sell the recording to the client?
Old 23rd February 2018
Quote:
thanks for your post.

So if I wanted to have a catalog of karaoke tracks to pick from at the studio and I got permission from say karaoke version or Ameritz to use them exclusively, I'd still need an individual license for each track to cover publishing copyright in order to sell the recording to the client?
Well, you wouldn't get "exclusive" license from someone already distributing backing tracks online.

But yes - for every release you'd need a specific license. It should be fairly straightforward if you're not rewriting anything as I said, but you do need to go through the process.

I would imagine unless you can negotiate a blanket deal, you'd also need licenses from the karaoke company for each release.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Head

How about if I had a computer or ipad from which the client could register an account with a karaoke track provider and buy their preferred track. They then pay me to record their vocals over it. Would they then not effectively be buying my services only? Would there still be redistribution and or publishing copyright issues?
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
How about if I had a computer or ipad from which the client could register an account with a karaoke track provider and buy their preferred track. They then pay me to record their vocals over it. Would they then not effectively be buying my services only? Would there still be redistribution and or publishing copyright issues?
It doesn’t really matter who supplies the files - the issue is distribution.

Now technically if you buy the backing track, and give it to your client - yes you’re “distributing” the track. You shouldn’t really do it, but you’re not talking significant numbers there.

The problem comes is if that client wants to then distribute their own version. For anything other than showreel purposes, they won’t be allowed to.

From your perspective - you’re not doing anything wrong at all if they come to you with the backing track (as you suggest) and then you record vocals over it. But you should make them aware they’re not allowed to upload it anywhere really - even Soundcloud would pull it down - and definitely never help them to do it!
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry to be off track here but I just signed up and they told what not to do but not how to do it. I can't find what I need help with and I need to now post. HOW is posting done?

I'm a sax player one man band and I want to add to my shtick and get my hands on karaoke wav files. Songs like Can't you hear me knocking where I would sing and play the sax solo (love Bobby Keys). the idea is to do background tracks on sax songs like Jr Walker tunes etc. I use background groves in a roland keyboard and a drum machine with keyboard and sax parts. Wish I played guitar... Geez... not even a sax emoji on this site, haha

I'm assuming I would need wav files to dump what I don't want (sax solo's etc) Are good non cheesy wav files even out there to be had? I'm an old guy with hopefully more time than money.

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSax View Post
Sorry to be off track here but I just signed up and they told what not to do but not how to do it. I can't find what I need help with and I need to now post. HOW is posting done?

I'm a sax player one man band and I want to add to my shtick and get my hands on karaoke wav files. Songs like Can't you hear me knocking where I would sing and play the sax solo (love Bobby Keys). the idea is to do background tracks on sax songs like Jr Walker tunes etc. I use background groves in a roland keyboard and a drum machine with keyboard and sax parts. Wish I played guitar... Geez... not even a sax emoji on this site, haha

I'm assuming I would need wav files to dump what I don't want (sax solo's etc) Are good non cheesy wav files even out there to be had? I'm an old guy with hopefully more time than money.

Thanks!
Re posting - in the main forum there’s a “new thread” red button - top left

Regarding your question. You can’t just remove the sax from a premixed karaoke track.

So - you’d either need to get hold of midi arrangements of your preferred song, assign it to sounds in your sequencer, and mute the sax. OR you buy a backing track in “stem” format - where someone has effectively done that for you/played real instruments. Same thing - you mute the sax and guide vocal and use the rest as your backing track.

Non cheesy? Who knows...!
Old 25th March 2019
How does Karaoke Version work? - Karaoke Version - for example, their “custom backing track” service would work for you.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The problem comes is if that client wants to then distribute their own version. For anything other than showreel purposes, they won’t be allowed to.
The fine print on many karaoke-track sites even prohibits showreels, but Lord knows people do it all the time anyway. Those sites couldn't give full permission for showreels even if they wanted to, though. They own the recording, but not the song.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 31st March 2019 at 03:56 PM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search