The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are usual rates for vocalists?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What are usual rates for vocalists?

What should I pay a vocalist?

EDIT:
I want to pay per song not per hour.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

100 views, zero answers.

Go to Gearslutz, they said, where the pro's meet.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
100 views, zero answers.

Go to Gearslutz, they said, where the pro's meet.
Ask a question about gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
What should I pay a vocalist?

EDIT:
I want to pay per song not per hour.
Well ....

Who is the vocalist?

Here in the UK there are Union rates for sessions so it's easy to calculate a 4 or 6 hour session.

If it's Sting doing the vocal he may want a little more than union rates!

If it's your Aunt Maples 16 year old son who has a great voice and is just starting out then he'll be happy to just do it for the experience.

If it was me then I'd want £250 a song.

So I guess it really depends on who's doing the singing.

Try a session agency and you might be surprised how many tracks a session singer can do it a 6 hour session.

Good luck
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you.

I didn't know there are recommended Union rates in the UK, I didn't find anything like this for Germany.
Good to know.

I still don't know who I want to have as singer, the person I really want will
be too expensive, a former leftfield self-produced musician from the UK who has stopped producing two decades ago -
So far I didn't dare to ask.

The alternative is to find a local no-name person.
Ideally it would be someone who would like to join the project but I didn't find a match yet.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Singers get paid in pizza and beer
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thank you.

I didn't know there are recommended Union rates in the UK, I didn't find anything like this for Germany.
Good to know.

I still don't know who I want to have as singer, the person I really want will
be too expensive, a former leftfield self-produced musician from the UK who has stopped producing two decades ago -
So far I didn't dare to ask.

The alternative is to find a local no-name person.
Ideally it would be someone who would like to join the project but I didn't find a match yet.
Definately ask the producer .... you just might be surprised.

A good friend of mine wrote a track with the very famous and rich Jon Anderson of Yes in mind.

Anyway he waited for him back stage after a gig and handed Jon the track and an email address.

Can you believe a month later the track came back with a Jon Anderson vocal on it!

It reminded me of two golden rules.

1. If you don't ask you don't get.

2. Never say never.

Contact him now .... let your music do the talking

Good luck.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I'm a session vocalist working from my own studio. I charge £150 per track providing lyrics are written, I get the track in a decent state (audio-wise) and I get timestamps so I can mark out the song to save confusion and more work.

For this I write all the vocal lines (unless some are provided) and harmonies then deliver a track.

The work normally takes me less than an hour to do so I don't feel the need to charge more than that and it gives me access to enough clients to make a decent living.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Most people are not able to deliver quality vocals beyond a 3 hr. session: for that matter most musicians run out of the energy and edge that inspiration requires. for this and many other reasons I would never book a session longer than 3hrs however as a producer the clock starts when the singer/picker is ready to lay down the track, not for warm up and technical adjustments.
The primary reason many top quality session players/singers choose to ply their talent with wav files in their own project studio is to avoid the lost efficiency in set up time plus travel time and also to avoid the "Union Shop bureaucracy".
Generally speaking you should pay a session fee commensurate with the value the talent brings to the project.
Hugh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search