The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My new studio in the basement of an old incinerator with a vintage Neve sidecar. Plugin Bundles
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

My new studio in the basement of an old incinerator with a vintage Neve sidecar.

Hey guys!

All my stars have aligned and after years of acquiring gear, working multiple jobs, interning, networking and working bloody hard, I've opened my own recording studio!

The location is pretty cool, it is in the basement of an old incinerator that was built in the 1930s. It is a really beautiful building (which you will see on my website). The building was designed by a famous architect called Walter Burley Griffin, who also planned and designed the city of Canberra.

At the heart of the studio is an old 1980s Neve V-Series sidecar which began its life at the BBC and lived for a while at famous Australian musician Billy Thorpe's home studio. The old studio I worked at had this desk. That studio had to close because the building it was located in was getting knocked down for a redevelopment.

The studio is never going to be a world class recording facility, so I've focused on trying to take advantage of the space and give it a unique feeling/ vibe. I work a part time job at the moment which can cover the costs of running the studio, I would like to eventually be able to quit my job and pursue this full time.

I'd love for you guys to have a look at my website and to give me a like on facebook!

Cheers,
Lewis
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Guru

Looks great. Best of luck!
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear
Looks great, but the website sucks.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
It's hard to be that harsh and that off-topic in only eight syllables.

And if his studio "looks great," and the only thing you've seen is his site, how bad can it suck?
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hahah. Yeah it's not the best, I'll be the first to admit that. I threw something together quickly. Any tips to make it better?
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Head

Congratulations! Very exciting; it all looks great.

Best of luck -

Old 4th October 2017
Congrats on getting it off the ground!

Couple of quick tips:

- I wouldn't have your exact address on the website for security reasons. General location is fine.
- err...."vintage Neve" generally refers to Rupert Neve designs - you've got an "AMS Neve" there. Yes it's a few years old so technically vintage, but it's misleading!
- offering "demo quality" demeans your quality work. Have an hourly rate, but I wouldn't advertise a "cutprice service" for lesser quality.
- your rates structure itself is confusing - one would assume it includes you, but what are "smaller" sessions? Have an hourly rate, a day rate (and stipulate the length of time), and maybe an overtime rate.
- I'd lose the newspaper article - it makes you look fresh out of college.
- as soon as you can, get a client list (even if it's only local bands) and audio reel/spotify playlist of material worked on there.
- offering dirt cheap rehearsal time...well, I wouldn't do it. It's a way to lock out the studio for next to nothing. Offer it via word of mouth if you need to, but again it demeans the place.

Good luck! Adelaide doesn't have a great deal of quality spaces, from my research/visits.
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Can't see anything wrong with the website.
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
- I wouldn't have your exact address on the website for security reasons.
Even without the exact address, I think an enterprising burglar can figure out where the Famous Old Incinerator is.
Old 4th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Even without the exact address, I think an enterprising burglar can figure out where the Famous Old Incinerator is.
Yep that’s probably true in this case. Still, doesn’t hurt to be a little more coy about things.
Old 8th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Congrats on getting it off the ground!

Couple of quick tips:

- I wouldn't have your exact address on the website for security reasons. General location is fine.
- err...."vintage Neve" generally refers to Rupert Neve designs - you've got an "AMS Neve" there. Yes it's a few years old so technically vintage, but it's misleading!
- offering "demo quality" demeans your quality work. Have an hourly rate, but I wouldn't advertise a "cutprice service" for lesser quality.
- your rates structure itself is confusing - one would assume it includes you, but what are "smaller" sessions? Have an hourly rate, a day rate (and stipulate the length of time), and maybe an overtime rate.
- I'd lose the newspaper article - it makes you look fresh out of college.
- as soon as you can, get a client list (even if it's only local bands) and audio reel/spotify playlist of material worked on there.
- offering dirt cheap rehearsal time...well, I wouldn't do it. It's a way to lock out the studio for next to nothing. Offer it via word of mouth if you need to, but again it demeans the place.

Good luck! Adelaide doesn't have a great deal of quality spaces, from my research/visits.
Thanks so much! That is really great advice. I'll implement those changes!
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback. I've finally got around to updating my website and I am actually really happy with how it has turned out. That advice I received really helped.

If you want to see the changes visit Wundenberg's Recording Studio, Adelaide, South Australia

Cheers!!
Old 5th February 2018
Hi Lewis! Welcome to Gearslutz

Amazing studio; congratulations. The building adds some interest but I'm sure it sounds great too. I'd record there if it was a local studio; good to have some analogue character and digital covenience. It looks comfy too.

My initial impression of the website was good; it's quite hard work building a website but I think yours will work, especially with some of the advice above and ongoing development. In time perhaps you could work on the lighting in the studio and photos, and the outdoor photo might look better from ground-level in sunlight.

Well done on your achievement and good fortune
Old 5th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiswundenberg View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback. I've finally got around to updating my website and I am actually really happy with how it has turned out. That advice I received really helped.

If you want to see the changes visit Wundenberg's Recording Studio, Adelaide, South Australia

Cheers!!
Looks much better

The "gear list" link from the about page is broken however (works fine from the menu).
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search