The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Professional Website Tips? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd August 2017
  #1
Professional Website Tips?

Hi,

I happen to have some freelance jobs recently but my online presence is quite a mess. I bought a domain name a few years ago, a bit familiar how this works (website hosting, template platforms, etc.).

Could someone provide some input about the topic, did you make it yourself using Adobe Dreamweaver, or template platforms (free / paid), or hire somebody? What about all this SEO stuff, how important it is? My recent idea is that I need to be able to show to my existing clients a nicely organized page of examples, options and costs, the task which SoundCloud can't accomplish by itself.
Old 24th August 2017
  #2
I just built a website on Squarespace for a new studio and it was awesome. Definitely took some time and needed to go back and forth with customer service a few times to get what i wanted, but in the end for $16/month month to month contract its hard to beat. Check em out: https://www.squarespace.com/

And here is my new website https://www.stfelix.nyc/
Old 30th August 2017
  #3
Here for the gear
 
Jon Mattingly's Avatar
 

I also use Squarespace and think it's a pretty decent website service. Easy to use and looks decent. It really just depends on what kind of web layout you want and how customized you want your site to be.

I couldn't stress enough that SEO is extremely important for an online visibility. Want Google, etc.. to find your site? Then you'll need some decent SEO.

Feel free to check out my Squarespace site:
American Recording Company,LLC

Much luck on figuring out what will work best for you!
Old 30th August 2017
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mattingly View Post
I also use Squarespace and think it's a pretty decent website service. Easy to use and looks decent. It really just depends on what kind of web layout you want and how customized you want your site to be.

I couldn't stress enough that SEO is extremely important for an online visibility. Want Google, etc.. to find your site? Then you'll need some decent SEO.

Feel free to check out my Squarespace site:
American Recording Company,LLC

Much luck on figuring out what will work best for you!
How much are SEO services charging
Old 30th August 2017
  #5
Here for the gear
 
Jon Mattingly's Avatar
 

I really have no idea what rates are for SEO. There is a little SEO built in with a Squarespace account so that was another plus for using Squarespace. Outside of that I've just researched on my own with youtube videos and google searches to see what all I could do to make my SEO better but I am by far not an SEO expert lol.

Something very important though is to make sure all of your info across all sites/ads online all have exactly the same info in the exact same format. Everything is spelled the same way, phone number is typed out in the same format, if you have street address abbreviations that those all match across the board, etc... Google will be looking for matching stats everywhere and that will help.
Old 31st August 2017
  #6
Oh OK thanks. Those sound like good tips.
Old 12th December 2017
  #7
Gear Head
 

Squarspace is ok, but really just ok, and not much better then that.

Most month to month pre-builts are usually not the best thing to go with.

They are of course convenient, easy and perhaps seemingly affordable.

There are downsides of course. You don't own it, you are contained within limitations, there are restrictions on numerous things, and overall are still tied to some company for a multitude of things. In the long-run it can cost you more and leave you stuck! You can't brand as effectively and it becomes harder to realize modern aesthetics. You will often times lack the ability to offer an up-scaled look to help differentiate yourself from the competition.

The best way is to either learn web design and development yourself or, of course, hire someone.

If you find the right agency or freelancer you can save yourself money in the long-run, take control of your brand and business, and ultimately can change with the times as well set yourself apart with a better website. If its the portal to your livelihood and business then you should want that portal to be top choice.

Some cool agencies will even throw in peripheral services to those working to budgets or in need of some help such as logos and photos. Some like mine even offer affordable hosting and renewals to help offset the fee over the long-run and therefore will save you money in the long run.

SEO is a beast in itself and constantly changing. The minute you think you have the three main engines figured out is often the second they change. It is easy enough to learn for those that have the desire but time consuming enough and boring enough to have most not bother. Some don't do any, some just make sites available to and ready/optimized for SEO, some toss a bit in, very few go the whole way without a rather large sum of money.

It is important to note, and remember, that SEO and your ability to compete is largely down to your competition, the competition for certain words and then of course your site, its content and how its put together. If you want to compete in a deluded vague area, it will be more expensive and difficult to organically compete for top spot first page search engine placement.

Overall it really just gets time consuming, you as well as I have to constantly judge and evaluate where time is spent and what cost or affect that may or may not have on business and the bottom line.

Last edited by wetwest; 12th December 2017 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: added tidbit
Old 23rd December 2017
  #8
Dreamweaver - is it still 2005?!

Wordpress is the way to go if you’re not a coder. It’s relatively easy to set up a basic site (mine isn’t fabulous but I don’t rely on it for work; I still have embedded Spotify, SoundCloud and YouTube playlists, contact forms, discography and blog etc).

Plus if you want it can then be customised by an expert, SEO optimised etc.

I’m sure squarespace is great but it’s a much more closed off system.
Old 21st January 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

I went with Squarespace and had decent results. I'd highly recommend getting your hands on DSLR and taking some high quality photos and getting someone to design a logo for you (if you are like me and couldn't draw to save your life).

Your website is usually a client's first impression of your studio. If it looks professional, they will presume that you are also.

I put mine together myself and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. SEO is pretty tricky, but i'm slowly moving up the ranks.

Wundenberg's Recording Studio, Adelaide, South Australia if you want to have a look!
Old 22nd January 2018
  #10
I recently deleted my wordpress website for audio, it is not the best platform in my opinion for a serious audio website, my only option now is to hire someone to make me a custom website from scratch, it might sound crazy in 2018, but I genuinely think it's the best option (for me anyway), outsourcing is now for me the way forward, instead of trying to do everything yourself, if you do that you WILL burn out eventually and want to give up.


it's hard enough being an engineer and all what you have to juggle with tracks, reverb, file management, dealing with weird and eccentric clients, and a million other things, web development is equally complex and feels like a never ending void of learning, it not something that comes naturally to me, knowing yourself is half the battle.
Old 22nd January 2018
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Dreamweaver - is it still 2005?!

Wordpress is the way to go if you’re not a coder.
I'm pretty handy at coding, or at least I am once every two years when I shake off the rust and sit down and do it, and I still use Dreamweaver in a weird, off-label way. With my two current sites, each page is a single jpeg with a bunch of hotspots slapped on it, and Dreamweaver is a good tool for that. Or at least it's the Devil I know.

But I'm in the midst of banging out a first draft of a Wordpress site.
Old 23rd January 2018
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I recently deleted my wordpress website for audio, it is not the best platform in my opinion for a serious audio website, my only option now is to hire someone to make me a custom website from scratch, it might sound crazy in 2018, but I genuinely think it's the best option (for me anyway), outsourcing is now for me the way forward, instead of trying to do everything yourself, if you do that you WILL burn out eventually and want to give up.


it's hard enough being an engineer and all what you have to juggle with tracks, reverb, file management, dealing with weird and eccentric clients, and a million other things, web development is equally complex and feels like a never ending void of learning, it not something that comes naturally to me, knowing yourself is half the battle.
I totally agree re hiring a pro, that’s on my radar - but many pros build Wordpress sites too! I’d bet most engineer style sites are based on it...you just need it done right. It’s so easy to update then.
Old 24th January 2018
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

I am in the process of getting my website up and running and I'm doing it on WIX, any experience with it?
Old 24th January 2018
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
I am in the process of getting my website up and running and I'm doing it on WIX, any experience with it?
the problem with wix is it's not searchable, if you want people to find you, forget it, don't let the lure of how nice the website looks tempt you, if you can't be found, you don't exist.
Old 24th January 2018
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Hey thanks for the reply! Not searchable? As in getting found on google? How does that work, I thought you just need to link the website details to the google brands for that to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
the problem with wix is it's not searchable, if you want people to find you, forget it, don't let the lure of how nice the website looks tempt you, if you can't be found, you don't exist.
Old 3rd February 2018
  #16
Gear Maniac
I am more of a hobby musician, but my main work is web development, (front end, working close with seo experts). Working on a 1million visitor per day website, as there is a lot to learn from.

I see people have this issues when they are smaller companies or just by themselves.

I can tell all about code, but nobody is helped with that. There are a lot of tools from Google that give you insight in your website. Before you hiring a professional, try just adding these two services from google. They are free.

- Google webmaster tools
- Google Analytics

Both are amazing tools to get started. The learning curve is in my opinion not too bad at all. (Alot easier then learning a DAW)

Hiring an SEO specialist is...not worth it. They will help, but they cost more than your revenue.

The reason why is as follows:
You need to be wanting to find. How many people in this area will need your services. If you are recording and not be able to work from remote, and you do say...4 clients a day, 20 days a month. You need 80 converting visits. (Conversion is a goal you set, and to get that (i.e. 'visitor will call you for your service')). For that, you need to set a ratio that is reachable. I.e. a wild guestimate, your current reach is 200 visitors a month,10% calls you. If you are lucky. Do the math.

These numbers are way too low to properly analyze your content and site for an SEO action plan. Your sole business is most likely you want to focus on, but if you need reach, you gotta be smart and throw yourself out there. In any SEO action plan is about content. Make movies, more music/sound and write blogposts, be active on the right forums. It means a lot of time you need to spend, other than simply being findable in Google.

So back to my suggestions. Install those two services and you will get a good baseline in your visitor's behaviour on your site.

When you optimize that (make sure all links work ok, dont let users navigate away from your site, write proper text and images, and proof you are the best for your customers). Then start with Google Trends. Its a tool that give you key searchwords and how they will perform in google.

Say if you think your customers want to work with 'studio with SSL desk' is important. You can check if that search is often performed. If that is the case, but hardly any results, a good chance that you can use those search terms in your content.

I would suggest to have a good basic site with proper content, install the google stuff, ask your customers how they would search for you (as if they didnt know you, or know you via word of mouth), and use that input to create your text around that.

I hope that helps.

If you want a budget but working website, i would suggest a wordpress template that is free. Its the best of worst systems that is very searchable. Skip single page sites. Really. Its fine if you know what your doing technically, otherwise it will waste your online presence.
Old 15th January 2019
  #17
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
the problem with wix is it's not searchable, if you want people to find you, forget it, don't let the lure of how nice the website looks tempt you, if you can't be found, you don't exist.
Resurrecting this thread to ask if Wix is now searchable? I read that this may have happened in May of last year. If so, has anyone tried it since then?
Old 15th January 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
Hi,

I happen to have some freelance jobs recently but my online presence is quite a mess.
Fot those of you out there, still trying to DIY your websites - people come to you because you know what you are doing as recording engineers. They respect your skill and are prepared to pay you for that skill.

Go to a professional website builder and he/she will do for you, what you do for your customers.

Just make sure that you and only you have control of the domain name.

As for Wix, it is sort of searchable, but only just - stay away!
Old 16th January 2019
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioRestorer View Post
Resurrecting this thread to ask if Wix is now searchable? I read that this may have happened in May of last year. If so, has anyone tried it since then?
and yet you resurrect it another year later, you complete and utter hypocrite
Old 16th January 2019
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
and yet you resurrect it another year later, you complete and utter hypocrite
No big deal -- it's a yes/no question, so a one-syllable answer either way.
Old 16th January 2019
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Fot those of you out there, still trying to DIY your websites - people come to you because you know what you are doing as recording engineers. They respect your skill and are prepared to pay you for that skill.

Go to a professional website builder and he/she will do for you, what you do for your customers.

Just make sure that you and only you have control of the domain name.

As for Wix, it is sort of searchable, but only just - stay away!
Amen. I got mine done for about a day and a half's engineering work. It'd have taken me 5 times as long and wouldn't work half as well!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Just weighing in on some SEO stuff - its wildly expensive if you want to rush your link to the front page of google and I think money is better spent on Google Ads using keywords and also making sure your business is properly registered on Google maps and other location search engines. It really depends business to business, but for us its the people and the space that sell the studio, less the location or SEO results. 90% of my business comes from referrals. If you're looking to reach new clients not via referrals I would look into hiring a digital marketer who is savvy w Google and Facebook advertising. Better use of $$$ than SEO imho
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo aronson View Post
Just weighing in on some SEO stuff - its wildly expensive if you want to rush your link to the front page of google and I think money is better spent on Google Ads using keywords and also making sure your business is properly registered on Google maps and other location search engines. It really depends business to business, but for us its the people and the space that sell the studio, less the location or SEO results. 90% of my business comes from referrals. If you're looking to reach new clients not via referrals I would look into hiring a digital marketer who is savvy w Google and Facebook advertising. Better use of $$$ than SEO imho
The sponsored “studio” ads on google always seem to be the bottom feeders in my experience too!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump