The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the best neighborhood in Los Angeles for musicians / music career.
Old 23rd July 2020
I moved from New Orleans to LA and decided on Hollywood. Been living here for exactly one year. Before Corona time I was out partying at bars, going to venues and seeing indie bands, meeting all kinds of cool people having a blast. Hollywood is a great area for its night life as well as the young hip crowd it attracts. tons of stuff in walking distance. Downside is there a lot of homeless (growing everyday), it smells like p*ss everywhere, and has its share of sketchy characters and tourists. When I first moved here it was a shock and bothered me but as time went on I got used to it and now have grown to really enjoy where I live.

Echo Park seems to be the place where the Indie scene is. There are tons of Indie musicians and even rappers that live there because its more affordable. There are a couple venues there that do showcases for up and coming bands as well. It's a chill area and there is a ton of stuff in walking distance. Even though its been gentrified (mostly) there is still crime and it is seen as not the safest area.

North Hollywood is where everyone goes to practice, record, and work. There are some big practice space warehouses. It's in the Valley so its more spread out and suburbia. If you wanted to live in the Valley there are some cool spots in Van Nuys and Burbank where a lot of older musicians and industry professionals live because its quieter and you can rent (with a couple room mates) or buy a house.

West Hollywood prices a lot of people out. If you are cool with living with 2 or 3 other room mates you can make it work. The club scene there is really popular and it's a fun place to live if your life's mission is to party. It's mostly young professionals and older wealthier people who live in West Hollywood.

Same is true for Santa Monica/Venice. you would really have to love the beach to live near here. It's really expensive for a not so great house/apartment.

I've been to some smaller studios in the Korea Town area which were pretty tight, but it's not the most exciting area in the city (apart from the restaurants lol)

If you can stomach the homeless and general dirtiness then Downtown is a pretty cool place as well. I haven't spent much time there but it seems like it would be a fun place to live if you wanted to explore the city. It's just not that appealing to me currently. I feel other parts have much more to offer..

HOWEVER. Actually putting yourself out there, going to shows by yourself, paying for the tickets and ubers, mustering up courage to introduce yourself to artists after shows, is much more important than which part of the city you live in.

Now in this Corona time we live in, it makes it incredibly difficult if not impossible to do most of these things anymore. I'm blessed to have an amazing boss/friend/brother who is keeping me busy mixing but without that I'd pretty much be screwed. It is expensive to live in LA period. If you want to live in a 1bd 1 bath apt with AC its gonna cost you $2000 a month.. even more if you want a washer and dryer.

Maybe you have a degree in finance and you can get a job out here and make sick beats on the side. Maybe your girlfriend is a nurse and can help with the rent.
Maybe you and your software engineer buddies from college can move and split rent on a house together somewhere. Maybe your cousin can hook you up with a job at the grow op. Maybe your parents support your dreams of being a musician and are willing to help out with the rent (LOL)

You get the picture. Everyone I've met out here that manages to stay longer than 6 months has some sort of support structure. It's hard to make it without one...

So I guess what I'm saying to any hopeful young eyes looking to make it big out there is that before you move out here, make sure you understand the reality of the time we live in. After you've strongly considered your options and finances and still think "I can make this work" should you pull the plug to move out here. I'm not networking or having that much fun (nobody is) but i'm staying put because THE SECOND that vaccine comes out I'm gonna be here and ready to make something happen.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbebanging View Post
The word of the day is....JOB...get a JOB and secondary education and get a JOB on that field and then go after your music dreams and if it fails you won`t count your pennies on what you can eat each day.
This.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
eventually though you'll regret not trying harder when you're 10 years into that job and your dreams are gone, I've seen a lot of ex musicians do this and become very depressed.
If it's tough to make a full-time living as a musician when you're 25, it's no easier when you're 35, 45, 55. Unless one is from a filthy rich family, I see nothing wrong with having some job skills and a college degree before making that move to L.A. This town (as of August 2020) has become extremely expensive to live in, with an insanely huge homeless population. Demand for housing, ANY type of housing, far exceeds supply, which means that rents are sky-high.

The Covid-19 pandemic has put a surreal spin on the situation, because there are NO GIGS to be had at this point. Clubs are barely managing to stay afloat financially (Troubadour, Baked Potato, etc,) and some have already permanently shut down.

Nothing wrong with betting on your dreams, but survival should take precedence, especially in L.A., man.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewedview View Post
The Covid-19 pandemic has put a surreal spin on the situation, because there are NO GIGS to be had at this point. Clubs are barely managing to stay afloat financially (Troubadour, Baked Potato, etc,) and some have already permanently shut down.

Nothing wrong with betting on your dreams, but survival should take precedence, especially in L.A., man.
Nobody in LA who's not touring or a hot session player has exclusively played for a living since 1990.
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewedview View Post
This.
no not this, get a job and hope you're dreams will come true, how on earth does that work out for most people?

so you're a doctor and you want to be a musician? no chance of ever making it as a musician, why? because you aren't even putting in 10% of what you're capable of, because you have to work 60-80 hour weeks, it's a RIDICLOUS mindset and only conservative people think like this,

you have to put in 100% to 'make it' as a musician, that means, not having a social life, not being stupid, not going out drinking, instead you'll be practising your instrument, learning about music production, music theory, organising meetings with venue owners, selling yourself, how the hell can you do any of that with a full time job? there's no time for it.

make more sacrifices and stop making excuses.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear