The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SONAR X1 Producer Expanded Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Software SONAR X1 Producer Expanded

SONAR X1 Producer Expanded

New module included:

Softube Saturation Knob
Additional modules can now be added to further expand the ProChannel's capabilities. To get your custom collection started, SONAR X1 Producer Expanded includes the Softube Saturation Knob. Softube’s Saturation Knob ProChannel Module borrows from Softube’s famous distortion circuitry modeling. And as found in other other Softube distortion designs, provides smooth, one-knob, frequency saturation operation for adding just the right amount of tube warmth to any track. Add the Softube Saturation Knob to any of your ProChannel strips and in any part of the signal path.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Wow, I did not see this one coming.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

mmm nice !!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

that is awesome...

now if they just incorporated sonar plus into sonar... it would be great.. i've been missing the functionality of sonar plus a lot since i updated to X1c... it's like it should be a part of the software and not an outside utility... cakewalk should just hire the guy who makes sonar plus......
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

god this daw looks exactly like Studio one.... what a rip off
Old 18th September 2011
I'm gonna hold out for Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 2

Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid View Post
Have you actually used it? There are unavoidable similarities that all DAWs share (transports, faders, track and midi views, etc). I assure you they are very different in many ways. That said, I love the direction that both of them are going.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid View Post
Colors that's all ...studio is so not in the same league my friend (and i own both)
Excellente engine for studio one and good features but too many missing must have, and on the package coming (( plugins , instruments ect ..)with it , it's just a joke )

When it come to do comaparision here' s my thing

1 ) Stability
2 ) Engine and sommation
3 ) Bundle that come with

That's why i use sonar instead of the competition ...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Looking good.
Old 19th September 2011
Ya Veddy Goood, no?[dont need you now UAD!]
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Addict

Awesome news. I absolutely LOVE the Softube Saturation sound. It's the best sounding tube saturation plugin (focusing equalizer) in my opinion. I am using it constantly, and it will be great to have it built in to sonar, especially since the cakewalk saturation plugins suck!

It's also nice that you can add or remove modules from pro-channel. I never use it because I'm often mixing on a small screen and it requires too much clunky navigation. If I can just have a saturation knob on each channel, that will be sweet.
Old 4th October 2011
Softube stated that it's absolutely new design. So it's NOT based on Focusing EQ they did earlier.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Excact ....but knowing the guyz from softube and from cake this must be wiked cause the focusing eq is just a beauty in this area while it's not designed for saturation only !

Also the great aspect is that this opens doors for feature modules fore sure ...(reverb , delay , amp sim,metering ...ect ...)

i would love to see a PC with meterings options (gognio , spectro ...ect)
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Eh... it just means you'll be buying "modules" (VSTs) that will only work in Sonar's Pro Channel. I use Sonar. I'm not thrilled with this. We already have VSTs... that work in any DAW. There's going to be much more choice with regular VSTs than what Sonar will be able to offer with "Pro Channel". You'll be locking yourself into Sonar's Pro Channel and their limited VSTs for the sake of a VST that fits into a Pro Channel GUI. I don't see much benefit to it. It seems like all marketing strategy, and very little if any evolution to Sonar as a DAW.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

This is an OPTION .....

Sonar comes with the best bundle alredy coming from Z3ta+ to effects in vst format.....

If it was the only option i would totally agree but this far from it
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Eh... it just means you'll be buying "modules" (VSTs) that will only work in Sonar's Pro Channel. I use Sonar. I'm not thrilled with this. We already have VSTs... that work in any DAW. There's going to be much more choice with regular VSTs than what Sonar will be able to offer with "Pro Channel". You'll be locking yourself into Sonar's Pro Channel and their limited VSTs for the sake of a VST that fits into a Pro Channel GUI. I don't see much benefit to it. It seems like all marketing strategy, and very little if any evolution to Sonar as a DAW.
You are not limited to just SONAR's VST, you can use any compatable VST within SONAR.

What you are limited to is SONAR, you cannot use the "Pro Channel" line of effects in another DAW like you can with your regular VST effects.

I rarely use other DAWs, so it is no big deal to me.
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
You are not limited to just SONAR's VST, you can use any compatable VST within SONAR.

What you are limited to is SONAR, you cannot use the "Pro Channel" line of effects in another DAW like you can with your regular VST effects.

I rarely use other DAWs, so it is no big deal to me.
Not quite. Relative to the ProChannel Expanded, you can NOT use any VST as part of that configuration; just whatever module that Cakewalk makes available. That part isn't too great.

Agreed that you can use standard VSTs throughout the rest of the DAW.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
Not quite. Relative to the ProChannel Expanded, you can NOT use any VST as part of that configuration; just whatever module that Cakewalk makes available. That part isn't too great.

Agreed that you can use standard VSTs throughout the rest of the DAW.
I see your point and agree, I was assuming that the Pro Channel and VST relationship would be the same as it is now. It would be nice if we could put "outside" plugins into that signal chain and not just afterwards.
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Love the Softube stuff but Pro-C is nothing special.

Also not a fan of proprietary software that becomes useless in future releases unless you upgrade.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Fismed ....you the thing is kinda funny ....back 3 years ago we made a thread at the cakewalk forum and me with a couple of oldtimers started a new redsign of sonar with some great ideas ...

I started the consol concept that is really close to what we have here but more subtile ...here what i suggested :

1) Some like the prochannel but with the ability to choosed the defauld vst that is linked to the prochannel (exemple waves ssl, ssl duende , uad what ever you want !)

2) A customisable gui for linking pulgin (quite what we see on the fx chain)

3) not done yet buy kinda ,with the PC expension : when you select a track you have tha "magnify effect" of the osx dock or rocket dock and the channel jump to your face with a zoom (customisable)

4) Last and most important nowdays : A touch screen mode !! with sliders instead of knobs ...and a gui thinked in this direction ...

We might see that on one of the next update of sonar or some others ..lol

Then Propelhead came with record ..lol and i'm quite really happy that those concepts are on the real now in one kind ...if i find this thread , will give the link ...

Anyway what i love bout cake is that they listen and are very active on the forum
And this counts also and says a lot about a firm ..
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

Huh, I like the look of the new FX chains: Cakewalk - Quick Bytes On CakeTV

Jon
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see your point and agree, I was assuming that the Pro Channel and VST relationship would be the same as it is now. It would be nice if we could put "outside" plugins into that signal chain and not just afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bryson View Post

Jon
It looks like you can use whatever VST you want in the chain.

This new feature is like Waves' Artist Signature Collection in that you have multiple plugins packaged together with reduced functionality to what is most useful for the application; except we can customize the individual effects and controls here.
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

I too am not a big fan of chunky Pro Channel (my small 19") but I still use it.
The upgrade is affordable so I'll be buying this soon as ProCh saturator just added noise. Not for me but I can see it might be fine for some.
So far more than happy with X1c
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It looks like you can use whatever VST you want in the chain.

This new feature is like Waves' Artist Signature Collection in that you have multiple plugins packaged together with reduced functionality to what is most useful for the application; except we can customize the individual effects and controls here.
I got the upgrade yesterday and played with it a little last night. The chain is in the plug-in section, and the Pro Channel tools are still in their own section, but I have not tinkered with it log enough to see if you can move the VST section between the Pro Chan Tools.

The changes they did to Pro Channel are nice. You can now colapse or remove some of the tools from the channel that you are not using. Overall, I am very pleased with the improvements.

I did not buy the gate tool, as I thought it was not worth the money. I usually just edit the raw tracks to clean them up. A delay OTOH, would be nice.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
I too am not a big fan of chunky Pro Channel (my small 19") but I still use it.
The upgrade is affordable so I'll be buying this soon as ProCh saturator just added noise. Not for me but I can see it might be fine for some.
So far more than happy with X1c
You will find the Pro Channel more manageable with the Expanded upgrade because you will be able to collapse the tool sections when you are not making adjustments to them.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bryson View Post

Jon
Pretty really slick idea indeed & well thought of. Me like
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Head

umm.. dumb question...

Regarding the new prochannel stuff:

I'm assuming that all the prochannel features are available only from within Sonar. So in essence Cakewalk has created a proprietary plug-in interface and they are selling plug-ins that can only be used in Sonar.

Is this correct or am I missing something?
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPasquarelli View Post
Regarding the new prochannel stuff:

I'm assuming that all the prochannel features are available only from within Sonar. So in essence Cakewalk has created a proprietary plug-in interface and they are selling plug-ins that can only be used in Sonar.

Is this correct or am I missing something?
You have nailed it on the head.

Not just SONAR, but SONAR PE, and if you want the pleasure of buying and using MORE proprietary plug-ins, you can purchace the upgrade to SONAR PE Expanded.
Old 2nd February 2012
CXP
Gear Maniac

After reading so many (mostly) negative comments about SX1 Expanded, I figured I would give you a power users opinion.

First let me start by saying I have been a Cakewalk user since Pro Audio 9. Not every update has made me happy and some releases can be pretty buggy until the 3rd or 4th patch comes out.

I upgraded from Sonar Producer 8.5 to Sonar X1 PE. I was happy with all the cool new features and sad that it was hard to use with all the crashes and bugs. Fast forward to Sonar X1 Expanded (X1e) and you have, what should have been, the true intent of the DAW. Just about every bug or issue I had has gone away and some much wanted features appeared. The DAW is supremely stable, unlike any Sonar product I have used up to this point.
I have used Softube stuff in the past so I upgraded to the mix bundle (mainly because the TSAR comes with it) and added the Concrete Limiter. I wasn't interested in the gate/expander or add-on comp because I am not sure they would be that much better than the stock prochannel mods.

ProChannel - The stock modules are very very good sounding. Not a ton of charicter (probably good if this is your only set of tools) but very useful.
Compressor - I like both stock comps a lot. Just a little off the top sets up a great track. Fairly transparent at moderate settings although you can get them to pump. I added the Softube FET because, well, it is one of my favorite soft-comps. The ONLY comp that I fell in love with other than the FET is the Waves SSL Bus (the UAD SSL is pretty good too). I have tried all the UAD comps (I put my love for the Neve and the FET on the same level), and the Softube CL1-B. I could live without the CL1-B but not without the FET (strange right?)

EQ - Not a bad EQ for shaping and LPF/HPF. That is about it. Not a big fan of the EQ because I prefer charicter. The Softube Eq's are more my style. However, I must note that, IMHO, there is nothing that compares to the UAD 1073 or the Harrison. The Softube EQ's have great HPF/LPF functionality and can add some nice bass / mids. I use the UAD EQ's for color and top-end sparkle.

Limiter - This is a must-own module. I compared it to Boost 11 (only useable as a brikwall limiter) the L2 and the UAD Precision. It is not a great limiter "for the price" it is simply a great limiter. The bass "enhancement" isn't as cheesy as I thought it would be. I don't (or haven't) needed to use it but it sounds very good. You can really dig crush a mix without too many artifacts. I know it is a sample-peak limiter but it is truly remarkable.

The Saturation knob is actually pretty useful. I thought it would be a "noise knob" like the ill-fated "tube saturator" that comes stock (avoid this thing, just sounds bad.) Softube delivered a great tool (much like the saturation on the Trident although they claim it is a total new plug). I have used the Softube Sat Knob on synths at low settings and guitars about 1/3 the way up. It can get pretty hairy but sounds great (like a hard driven Decapitator).

Having to buy an ilok for the Softube stuff was a bummer but I figured I might as well take the plunge. I am hoping Softube will release the Tube-Tech Channel for ProChannel at some point.

Z3TA 2.1 - Not sure there are words for this one. I am not a "synth" heavy guy but that is primarily because I was lazy in learning how to operate all those funky knobs and sounds. I went out on a limb with the Z3TA upgrade. I was very happy with the capability of it but it (like most Cakewalk releases) was buggy as hell. The 2.1 update took care of the bugs and added some really needed functionality. I can drag and drop the MIDI sequences to a track and run over it with my other favorite synth, Dimension Pro. There have been many times I thought I had a great sequence or Arp but didn't care for the sound assigned to it. Now, I simply drop the MIDI to a track and play with it.

A note about the Soft-Synths - I am not sure how this bundle stacks up to other DAW bundled soft-synths. To me, the soft-synths are tremendous. Very usable sounds and very professional libraries. Pretty extensive 3rd party refills as well.

I am just now playing with Session Drummer 3. I wish I had done this earlier. Lots of room to grow with this. Almost as good as BFD imo (if you expand the library).

I know this may sound like a Sonar fan pumping up a product. I am a musician, and want to have the best opportunity to make my creations shine. There is no one i know that could pick out what DAW or plugs I use when they hear my final mix. To me, THAT is what makes great music.

I record rock / pop hybrid style (30 Seconds to Mars - style) and am a guitarist / producer for Circle X Productions.

CIRCLE X PRODUCTIONS
Old 2nd February 2012
CXP
Gear Maniac

Just a quick update to my previous post...

Sonar is giving a new EQ called "QuadCurve" to Sonar Expanded users. I am not sure if this is a redesigned Sontuis eq or if it is a one-off design. That addition, coupled with the stupidly low price of the Softube mix bundle, could really satify even the most demanding gear-heads. Well, until UAD introduces the Vari-Mu, Culture Vulture, Destressor, 550 series, 2500, and a new vintage Merlot
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search