The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar 7 Pro to Sonar 8.5 Pro preparation/set up procedures needed Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Nut

Sonar 7 Pro to Sonar 8.5 Pro preparation/set up procedures needed

Gearslut Friends,

Are there any preparational procedures or set up procedures that I should be aware of?

I presently have Sonar 7 pro installed on a 3gig P4 XP machine w/ a M Audio Duo as the A/D converter using a FMR RNP & a Great River ME-1NV as mic pre-amps and 2 RNC for compression.
My audio files have been backed up to a West Dig 320 gig external HD along with my personal files and documents along w/ Firefox bookmarks outlook express address book and such.

I'm awaiting delivery of a new ADK Pro Audio built machine with:
i7 920 & X58 Mobo
6 gigs of Ram
three 500G HD's for OS - Sample - Audio
pre installed Sonar 8.5 Pro
pre installed Windows 7 64 bit
pre installed Echo Layla 3G

This new computer will also double as my personal home computer w/ access to the web/email and a paid AVG Virus & free version of the Comodo Firewall.
Anything you can advise would be helpful....I know I'm bound to forget something along the way so even the smallest details would help...
Should I try to have a separate boot for when I'm not recording and just surfing the web?
Should that be as an administrator or leave the administrator boot for the Recording boot so as not to screw up recording related applications.
Any help, opinions or related links to other threads pertaining to this are welcomed.
Thanks,
root
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Guru

It installs as a separate version like the others did so all you need to do is install it.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Nut

I'm not installing 7 pro on the new machine...ADK is doing the install at their factory....please read my post again.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I'm not installing 7 pro on the new machine...ADK is doing the install at their factory....please read my post again.
It doesn't matter who installed it. All you need to do is install the new version. Actually, you can tell ADK not to install 7 and just send you the discs.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

If the 8.5 install is from the disc then you don't need to install 7. If it's the download version install file, I'd install from the 7 disc first. There are some hassles if you try to install straight form the download version of 8.5.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

I assume you are concerned about your projects from SONAR 7 being converted over to 8.5.

If that is the case, there is nothing special you have to do to move to the new version on your new PC. Copy your SONAR files form your external drive to your new PC. You can them open the projects with Ver 8.5. IF you were going the other way you might have issues since Ver 8.5 has more plug-ins that are not on Ver 7.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Nut

How many of you DAW people do a seperate boot (i think that
s when you open your OS with personally picked settings/programs at start up)
It sounds like it might be better to have only the virus software and web browsers opening automatically when in the internet mode as opposed to when I only want to record and use all the horsepower for recording only.
Is that just a matter of creating a different user profile for recording and going into run:msconfig start up and disabling any web related start up programs such as browsers and anti virus?
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds like it might be better to have only the virus software and web browsers opening automatically when in the internet mode as opposed to when I only want to record and use all the horsepower for recording only.
Is that just a matter of creating a different user profile for recording and going into run:msconfig start up and disabling any web related start up programs such as browsers and anti virus?
I was going to do a multi-boot PC, but it got a bit messy. I use Virtual PC to create another OS for web browsing. If it get corupt, I can delete the OS and reinstall it without messing up my regular OS.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The easiest and least messy (but more expensive) way would be to have two seperate hard drives, each with their own OS (configured appropiately). Done right, it should ask which HDD to boot from when you power on your computer.

A more involved way would be to have two seperate partitions on the same HDD.. as for instructions on a dual boot on a single hard drive, that's a lengthy post so i'll point you towards the almighty Google for that one!

A third option: Get a $200 netbook to do your surfing!
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
This new computer will also double as my personal home computer w/ access to the web/email and a paid AVG Virus & free version of the Comodo Firewall.
I personally wouldn't invite that kind of potential trouble. Either a dual boot containing an OS for DAW, the other for everything else, or another machine for the net. These days you can get a cheap net book for as little as $300.00 for that.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Nut

anxious for computers arrival - need sedatives

Thanks for the advice so far. Hows about a list of stuff to do b4 hand like:
1) save the projects to external hard disk (what about the picture cache?)
2) save plug ins w/out hard copy discs
3) save other audio files mp3's wm wave
4) related documents & pictures, bookmarks, address book from email programs
5) ???
6)
what other stuff from Sonar to Sonar - audio midi related?? like plug in preferences ??
AM I missing anything?
anybody??
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the advice so far. Hows about a list of stuff to do b4 hand like:
1) save the projects to external hard disk (what about the picture cache?)
2) save plug ins w/out hard copy discs
3) save other audio files mp3's wm wave
4) related documents & pictures, bookmarks, address book from email programs
5) ???
6)
what other stuff from Sonar to Sonar - audio midi related?? like plug in preferences ??
AM I missing anything?
anybody??
With these newer versions you can keep all your project files together, which I recomend. The older versions of Cakewalk used a global folder for data. Before you do anything with your old PC make sure the projects open up with all tracks in tact. You can always go back to your old PC and get any missing files.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Nut

Finally received delivery. 64 and 32 bit versions were factory installed.
But I'm having problems right off the bat w/ wireless router but ADK tech assisted me for 45 minutes on a Saturday to fix issues with a manual configuration.
Now there's a missing plugins box that comes up whenever I load a Sonar 7 Project telling me it can't play tracks w/ older plugins from version 7 such as Session Drummer 2 and Cakewalk Fx not in Version 8.5.2
Won't play new tracks either that I was experimenting with yesterday ...Dimension Pro for instance....
Also freezing up when sess drum 3, TTS, and Dim pro tracks are in the same project.
Cake forums advice is to load old plugs from sonar 7 install disc....b4 I was having problems with newer version plugs.
Now, no one is coming to my rescue on the Cake forums so I'm asking anyone here for answers/suggestions.
A call to both ADK and Cake are in order 1st thing 2morrow.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally received delivery. 64 and 32 bit versions were factory installed.
But I'm having problems right off the bat w/ wireless router but ADK tech assisted me for 45 minutes on a Saturday to fix issues with a manual configuration.
Now there's a missing plugins box that comes up whenever I load a Sonar 7 Project telling me it can't play tracks w/ older plugins from version 7 such as Session Drummer 2 and Cakewalk Fx not in Version 8.5.2
Won't play new tracks either that I was experimenting with yesterday ...Dimension Pro for instance....
Also freezing up when sess drum 3, TTS, and Dim pro tracks are in the same project.
Cake forums advice is to load old plugs from sonar 7 install disc....b4 I was having problems with newer version plugs.
Now, no one is coming to my rescue on the Cake forums so I'm asking anyone here for answers/suggestions.
A call to both ADK and Cake are in order 1st thing 2morrow.
Are you opening the project in Sonar 64 or 32?
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Nut

Either way it's bogus.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Either way it's bogus.
You should rescan your plugins and make sure you add the respective 64 bit ones as well to any 64 version of Sonar. As far as the FX series of plugins, you can download those for free now from Cakewalk. Then just install them on your system. They should show up fine.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks, I'm going to try both suggests asap.

Edit - As of 12/23/09
Cakewalk admits there is a known issue w/ running Dimension Pro 64 w/ Sonar 8.5.2 & Win 7...I was advised to use Dim Pro 32 bit version and it does works fine w/out the 64 bit features. They assured me that they are working on solving the freeze/crash/no volume problemo's.

Edit 12/27/09 -It would have been nice to have known to write down the values/numbers that I used/entered for the mods I did to some of the plug-in pre-sets instead of having to ressurect/going back to the retired computer....for those of you going to 8.5 from a previous version: make sure to insert the new disc and uncheck all the newer plugins and add the older legacy/cakewalk stuff if you used them on old projects.

Last edited by root; 25th December 2009 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: update data

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search