The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DFHS and Sonar 4
Old 21st July 2005
DFHS and Sonar 4

Anyone using these together? If so, I found a little preset utility at the Toontracks web site for Sonar Rewire install. I hear going Rewire is more functional than VSTi wrapper. Anyway, should I install and run the Sonar preset utility first, then DFHS plugs, or vica-versa?

thx,

KT
Old 21st July 2005
Never mind, I figured it out. This is for Sonar 4 only, WIndows XP2. I don't know how it will work with anything else.

I know pretty much no one here will need this, but if anyone ever searches it in the future, here it is.

If anyone ever needs to know, do it in this order:

1) Copy the drummer UI's from DFHS Install disc to the Shared DXi Instruments folder in Sonar.

2) Copy the Sonar/Toontracks approved Sonar Template files (2) to the same folder.

3) Double click the SuperWireApplet.exe icon that will appear also in the same folder after you do all the above. (only needs done once).

4) Double click the Sonar Template icon in the same file---It will open Sonar with the template showing, and initiate the DFHS Tutorial.

5) COMPLETE THE TUTORIAL exactly as shown in the DFHS Manual!! (Dont [email protected] this up, or you will have a hell of time going back to solve it). Minimize the DFHS Rewire pane as needed---NOTE: Sounds will not trigger while it is open and Sonar is not PLAYing, unless you have a TON of RAM. I have 1 gig and it wont do it.

6) Delete the Tutorial Midi data shown on the DRUMMER OMNI track by single click on the actual data strip, hit delete.

7) Maximize the DFHS UI and choose some other preset drum kit (I chose DW Drums). Make SURE and keep Cache Forced (green light on). Don't go crazy with Ambiance or OH mics, unless you have a MEGA computer, fast HDD, powerful CPU, lots of RAM.

8) Minimize DFHS UI and go back to Sonar Drummer track. Ignore all the other MIDI tracks, cuz they are slaves (though u can drag down your recorded individual drums as you wish later to get out of OMNI mode---but it wont matter cuz when you bounce, you bounce to individual ReWire stems out from the Rewire mixer you will see on top).

9) Now, play your keyboard or edrum pads. Hit them over and over a lot, until they load up into RAM. If you have force Cache on, you will only get the drums set for the pattern you eventually make. But, I did this anyway, and after a few times, the RAM catches up, and you start to hear the drums work.

10) Start up a blank song now, get your metronome going, enter soem kick, snare, hats, whatever---do it in a few takes or whatever. Keep it short. Rewind and hit playback. Check your Minimized DFHS, you will see the Corruption LED lite up, and probably get an error window saying the sounds arent loaded. CLick both off and ignore them.

11) Playback your new drum groove a couple times till it fully loads in RAM.

12) You can now mess around with adding some OH and Ambience mics---only a couple, maybe some AMBI on kick/snare/hats, and some OH on snare/hats/cymbals, whatever.

13) Save the DFHS kit you just made, make a folder for all your future kits in that Shared DXi Instruments file. Name it something like Test A, or whatever. Minimize DFHS UI.

14) Save AS on Sonar, and name it the same thing (Test A, or whatever), but save it in your Cakewalk Projects file.

15) Now, the tricky part---exiting without crashing Sonar----Read page 410+ in your Sonar manual on Rewire. As it says, close the DXi first! And do NOT use the Sonar mini window for DXi's to do it. Instead, just right click on your Minimized DFHS and click CLOSE.

16) Exit Sonar 4.

17) Go to your C Drive>Program Files>Cakewalk>Shared VSTi folder. Make SHORTCUTS of all 3 drummers (Drummer, Coctail, Percussion). Drag all 3 to your desktop. In the DFHS manual, they call this "make an alias."

[NOTE: BTW, the DFHS Manual SUCKS!!! They REALLY need some help on English translation, lol. Some of the phrases are very funny (in one place they are clearly trying to say that to remove from your sound some "edge" do so-and-so, but instead they say, to give your sound less "knee" do so-and-so! I mean really, give it some "KNEE????" They need help, honest, seriously. I know, they got the phrase from DBX compressors, but jeesh!---Toontracks guys, give me an email, I will gladly re-write your manual into comprehensible English!---and will give it more time than this post, hahaha].

18) Open Sonar, choose Test A.

19) Minimize Sonar, click on the "Drummer" Icon. When the intro window to DFHS comes up, click on LOAD, select Test A).

20) Minmize DFHS UI, Maximize Sonar. (NOTE: Unless you have a SUPER computer, don't try to Maximize the DFHS Window--EVER----, or everything will lock up to hell, and you will have 3 or 4 DFHS WIndows open with no way to shut down).

21) Hit all your drum pads or keyboard keys, make sure you hear them, though they sound slowly and like ****. Do it a lot of times till ti smooths out--the manual actually says this, but in horrible English, as always.

22) Now, with Sonar Max'd, click play or spacebar. Your Test A will play. Let it play fully through (thus the short length of test groove). Do that twice.

23) Maximize DFHS window again, click off the Corruption light. Minimize.

24) Go back to Sonar, play your song again, it should play perfectly. At this point, you can now Maximize DFHS at will, and either play MIDI hits on your kbd or edrum, or click on the Superpads, and start your ass to work!

25) Have fun!

The whole chore was a major hassle. But it only took a couple hours, then add 2 more hours I put into copying all the original files. So, 4 hours of install on a half-ass computer (this is my exclusive DFHS comp, so no biggy--but definately more RAM!!, like 2 gigs I am thinking).

COMP INFO:

ABIT KR7A-RAID mobo
AMD XP1700+ CPU
1GB Crucial 2.5 CAS matched RAM
Windows XP2 on C Drive, ATA 133 (Seagate 40G, 7200), hooked to the 133 headers.
All sound files on E Drive, ATA 133 (Seagate 120G, 7200) also on the 133 header (SCSI).
450w SilentMax Pwr Suply.
Some cheap ass old Nvidia card.
M-Audio Delta 2496 cheap ass card for SPDIF out to main DAW--totally quiet silent sample transfer).

The **** is, I end up bouncing 2 tracks at a time over to the DAW. Takes time but all in all it is a very inexpensive solution.

Total Cost:

Computer - $287 complete (gotta love Newegg refurbs!)
DFHS - $250-ish (I forget, Sweetwater)
Sonar 4 - Complete program at GC for $170 bucks (their last promo copy, about to dump it!

Good Luck!

KT
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

natpub Thanks
I will be getting DFHS soon.
So, How's it working with rewire/sonor4?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search