The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar Users: Let's identify ourselves so we can nework. Audio Interfaces
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar Users: Let's identify ourselves so we can nework.

Hey guys,

Who is using Sonar? I would love to know we can help each other out.

I've been a happy user since Sonar 1.

So, who are you and what type of work do you do?
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Well, I use Sonar (among other applications), but you're likely to have a lot more success networking with Sonar users on the Cakewalk Forums

Lots of very knowledgeable users there.

Regards,

John

Last edited by CoteRotie; 25th August 2007 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Elimate redundency
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I use it whenever I can and have done for a long, long time

however, I've been getting back into outboard and using a mixer again (at home) and Sonar doesn't really handle that too well, so I'm a bit saddened by that - maybe 7 will cure it?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Love Sonar here! I'll second John's recommendation of the Sonar forum, though I haven't actually been there for a year or two.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar user here, although I've been using Pro Tools a lot more lately.
Old 25th August 2007
Smile

BIG sonar freak, and have been for years...my main DAW...

i just wrote a SONAR review - hopefully it'll be published...

my work is singer/songwriter production, television, radio spots, web, etc.

and yes, the cakewalk forums are great - highly recommended...

Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
I use it whenever I can and have done for a long, long time

however, I've been getting back into outboard and using a mixer again (at home) and Sonar doesn't really handle that too well, so I'm a bit saddened by that - maybe 7 will cure it?
As my outboard collection grows, I am thinking of mixing with a console of some type as well.

Why do you feel that Sonar doesn't handle this well?

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I probably should have worded the title of this thread better (and spelled correctly too). I'm interested in finding Gearslutz who are also Sonar users. The Cakewalk forums are great, (been a member there for a while now under the same name) but I really learn more at GS as far as audio goes. I just thought it would be cool to know some of the fellow Sonar users here as well. I might start another thread worded a little differently.

Thanks!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Why do you feel that Sonar doesn't handle this well?
There's no (automatic) latency compensation if you do the round trip i.e. out your desk, into Sonar, out Sonar into your desk for monitoring - it's hopeless in that situation and just can't be used for tracking/overdubs etc.
Old 26th August 2007
Smile

good to hook up!

Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

sonar

Another Sonar user here! I try to run Protools every now and then but always come back to Sonar.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar and Cubase here
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
Yep. But I guess I'm gonna have to roll back to 5. I can't get 6 stable at all because it uses 25% or more of my cpu's horsepower just in idle. 5 worked like a charm though.

Danny
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
There's no (automatic) latency compensation if you do the round trip i.e. out your desk, into Sonar, out Sonar into your desk for monitoring - it's hopeless in that situation and just can't be used for tracking/overdubs etc.
You can say that again. You'll for sure have to use your boards auxes for the talent cues.

IMO, forget the Sonar forum. That's been taken over by a bunch that thinks Sonar is the end all be all and if it don't work it's:

Your fault
or your computers fault
or your sound cards fault
or your video cards fault
or your plugins fault
or you are accused of not having a valid copy
or (and this is always the last resort)- It's because you're not a computer engineer. (Yep somebody really said that)
And the final last straw (as explained to me the other day there) Software that works is a relative term. OR as one resident expert vehemently stated, software that works means different things depending on the complexity of the application.

Don't waste your time there. Here would probably be much better.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodano View Post
And forget the Sonar forum. That's been taken over by a bunch that thinks Sonar is the end all be all and if it don't work it's:

Your fault
or your computers fault
or your plugins fault
or you are accused of not having a valid copy
or - It's because you're not a computer engineer. (Yep somebody really said that)
And the final straw (as explained to me the other day there) Software that works is a relative term. As one expert stated, working means different things depending on the complexity of the application.

Don't waste your time there.
thumbsup

I have to agree. Lots of hostility there. Place has been overrun by militant home recordists who spend all their time on the forums rather than making music.
Old 26th August 2007
Smile

wow, i didn't realize -

i guess i haven't spent enough time there to get this heh

Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
thumbsup

I have to agree. Lots of hostility there. Place has been overrun by militant home recordists who spend all their time on the forums rather than making music.
Yeah, there are a few of those, some who post an average of 10+ times a day, but there are also a lot of helpful people there too. It's easy enough to ignore the ******s, you figure out who they are fairly quickly.

Regards,

John
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't find the Sonar Forum any worse than any other Forum TBH - not that I need to visit it often

FWIW I find Sonar to be by far the most stable DAW out there on any platform, although Reaper is a very close second. I'd also have to say that Reaper currently handles hardware intrgration better too
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Die hard Sonar user here too.

Quote:
I mainly just use plugins, so I'm not really sure of the ins-and-outs of this - I guess this means there is no automatic latency compensation when using any outboard gear at all right? (eg, sending a track out from Sonar, through an outboard compressor, then recording it back in to Sonar)
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sonar 4 here. Been afraid to upgrade because I like it so much.

Just a music hobbyist, no plans to be anything more. If I have an idea I can record it at my own pace, and Sonar fits the bill. I've tried all of them but Pro Tools. Didn't feel like spending that much to have to learn another DAW.

Sonar lays out easy, has all the options I could ever want, and more.

As for Cakewalk Forums, yup, they have a few grizzlies runnin' that forest.

Same as about any other product support forum. They get the diehard know-it-alls that no one should ever disagree with.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

New SONAR user here. I'll be watching for sure, and learning. And asking questions.heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthowk View Post
I guess this means there is no automatic latency compensation when using any outboard gear at all right? (eg, sending a track out from Sonar, through an outboard compressor, then recording it back in to Sonar)
Correct
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tang View Post
Oh please, don't be! Great subtle feature upgrades since then. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Been a Sonar user since Pro Audio 7. I've always used MIDI so Cakewalk/Sonar has always worked best for me. Currently running Sonar 6P, Lynx L22. My system runs great, plenty of power for what I do. I visit the Sonar Forum regularly. Try to help people when I can, learn from other users.

DaveT
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your interface/converter has inputs that are hard wired to the outputs, wouldn't this allow you to monitor while tracking (in the above scenario)?

Is it the latency of the conversion process that interferes with this?

Help me out because It seems like I'm missing something here. I need to make sure I understand this process.

Also, do the other Daw programs actually have a feature that automatically adjusts for this? If so, which Daws and how is it implimented?

Thanks!

Great to see the Sonar users. Nice to meetcha!
Old 28th August 2007
Been a SONAR user since 2.0. Currently using SONAR 6.2.1 Producer. I agree that the SONAR forum has become, well let's say, kind of boring. Much more interesting stuff here.

My only complaint has been the CPU munching problem with UAD-1, and I think I now have that in hand with the UAD 4.7 update plus rearranging some of the plugins. Not sure what exactly I did, but got it to stop on this one song. That being said I am taking a look at Reaper, but not ready to jump over and learn a new DAW program quite yet.

My very first DAW sequencer was, I think, an early version of Logic bundled with my Delta-66. I just hated it, could not get my head around the interface. Then I got SONAR 2 XL and have loved using it since. I first looked at Protools but at the time the only way in was either TDM dedicated system, or HD, I think, in any case the 2X price of all the plugins was a show stopper for me.

I also use Wavelab 6 for mastering, as it has superior facilities for editing and assembling master 2-track mixes into CD projects. UAD also works better there (although I have run into problems as well, several plugs not playing well together).

All in all I am still quite happy with SONAR, and the gang of bakers are a great bunch, great support, and dedication to their product. I think the fanatics on the forum are sometimes jealous of all the press and lip service given to Protools.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your interface/converter has inputs that are hard wired to the outputs, wouldn't this allow you to monitor while tracking (in the above scenario)?
And if I'd rather monitor 'off tape' using plug-in FX/Processors etc?

I want to use my converters as the hub, with my patchbays, tape machine and DAW all connected with my desk and outboard seamlessly - Sonar doesn't allow me to do this without manual sample alignments or resorting to 'zero latency' monitoring, which I have no interest in doing.

Quote:
do the other Daw programs actually have a feature that automatically adjusts for this?
PT (the real one), Cubase (I believe), Reaper, maybe more

Quote:
how is it implimented?
Automatically in PTs case, not sure about Cubase as I don't use it, with Reaper you have to 'ping' the route, but once set, that's it

I doubt it's a difficult thing to implement, I just don't think it's a priority for Cakewalk, but it's essential for me and I guess anyone else who wants to work this way (who wouldn't?)
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tang View Post
heh, i'm still using sonar 3
Old 28th August 2007
SONAR here - have been since version 1.0.

I also am comfortable with PT and Cubase and use PT regularly, too.

My problem with SONAR is that it is indeed (currently) not easily usable in a hybrid outboard/ITB setup. There's the compensation problem mentioned above, but you also cannot directly route a channel to an individual MONO output.

Overall, I love SONAR>
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm in the process of hooking up a hybrid system and have just recently noticed this same problem with no mono outs. Can I ask what your doing to compensate for this?

Also, have you ran the 2-bus out to a comp and pre. I'm experiencing a problem with this as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th August 2007
Sonar user +++++

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search