The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar Users: Let's identify ourselves so we can nework. Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear
Thanks, Mr. Torture! I hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks, Old Goat! Yeah, if that's what it says in the Help file then your version must be based on Sonar 4 so the Sonar 4 Power book is probably the best bet. Check out what it says for new features in the Help and then see what it says in the description on my site. Some of the new features mentioned should be the same.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
Scott R. Garrigus Web Sites - DigiFreq, Power Books, NewTechReview

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Free music technology news, reviews, tips and techniques!
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

We are the world, we all use Sonar....
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another generally happy Sonar user here.

Looking forward to some helpful and PEACEFULL dialogue with other Sonar users here.

I spent some time lurking over at the Sonar forums, but was always reluctant to post any questions... the place had the feel of one of those bars where you have to sit with your back against the wall, and be real carefull who you talk to, and sure as shootin' there were always a couple of good scraps to watch.

I sure hope things don't get that way 'round here.

Peace and harmony y'all
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

i just got Scott's book... i'll be using sonar soon... still using nuendo b/c i know it so well, but i like how the new versions of sonar works and sounds.. i have 6PE.. i see 7 is right around the corner... i should be good with it by the time 7 comes out... or maybe i'll just switch to logic 8...???
don't know yet, but i really dont wanna pay $2000+ for nuendo 4 when sonar 7 SHOULD offer the same but a better audio engine
Old 16th September 2007
Here for the gear
Thanks, DivineMusic! I hope you enjoy the book...

Be sure to check out my free music technology newsletter as well:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Free music technology news, reviews, tips and techniques!

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
Scott R. Garrigus Web Sites - DigiFreq, Power Books, NewTechReview

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Now that 7 is out

Hey, what are you guys thinking of Sonar 7 so far. I just ordered the upgrade.

I looks like they did add an external hardware/auto latecy thing. I'm really glad as I'm about to start using some of my outboard to mix.

Any thoughts on 7?
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Head

SONAR 7 is running great here. Extremely stable.

I'm lovin' internal side-chaining and external hardware insert capability.

You won't be disappointed. thumbsup
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
SONAR 7 is running great here. Extremely stable.

I'm lovin' internal side-chaining and external hardware insert capability.

You won't be disappointed. thumbsup
Agreed. Extremely stable, most of the new features are great.

I've had some issues with the external hardware insert compensation not being sample-accurate, but it may be user error, I have to play with it more.

It may also have to do with a bug where the latency of the Lynx L22 card I have doesn't get transferred correctly to SONAR. The workaround is just to manually enter an offset to the reported latency, and I need to verify that the manual offset I have is still correct for S7.

There are a few odd bugs- E.g. Sidechainable plugs don't work when inserted in the clip effects bin. This is already fixed by the programmers and will be included in an upcoming update shortly.

John

Last edited by CoteRotie; 3rd October 2007 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Wording.
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Head

Having problems with External Insert and hardware here as well......the return latency adjustment doesn't seem to be working and adjustment via the "offset" function is pretty much guesswork as it doesn't appear to be the same latency adjustment (e.g. interface latency) you could make via the workaround for 6PE.

I'd assumed that they would have implemented something similar to the "ping" function in Cubase which would similar calculate the return latency and adjust the audio engine accordingly. Starting to wish I hadn't jumped ship all of a sudden.....
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyness View Post
Having problems with External Insert and hardware here as well......the return latency adjustment doesn't seem to be working and adjustment via the "offset" function is pretty much guesswork as it doesn't appear to be the same latency adjustment (e.g. interface latency) you could make via the workaround for 6PE.

I'd assumed that they would have implemented something similar to the "ping" function in Cubase which would similar calculate the return latency and adjust the audio engine accordingly. Starting to wish I hadn't jumped ship all of a sudden.....
Cakewalk is pretty good about releasing bug fixes (and improvements and free added features at times) fairly quickly, so I'm guessing they'll sort this out soon. I hope.

John
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Head

I've managed to get the External Inserts working properly as track inserts but no joy when using these on a bus as yet. Weird phasey/delay stuff going on when doing parallel drum compression and whatnot.

Waiting to hear back from the Devs re: this but I at least got a response, so that's a start.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar 6 PE here! Love it! User since Pro8.

But, bring back the track iso pencil window that has been gone since Sonar1!!
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Wink

Very proud and happy sonar user here...

i´ve been using it since cakewalk for DOS (that´s a long time!) i am currently using sonar 6.2.1 and can´t wait to update to 7

i use it because i feel it´s the best option... having used just about every daw out there...

go sonar!
Old 19th October 2007
Nice i just got to Sonar 7 for the first time. What hardware are you guys using?
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Nut

I'm on 6, took me forever to move from 3, I liked 4, 5 had me scratching my head. I like 6, I'm afraid of 7
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Got Home Studio 6 the day before Sonar 7 was announced!heh By the time I get used to this one, Sonar 12 will be out. Still baby steps, but I like it much better than Live!
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Using S3 PE and S6 PE, loving it. I use it for overdubs and mixing with no regrets.
Old 19th October 2007
Here for the gear

stands and looks around the room and says

Hi My names Brad and I'm an alch,..uu...a sonar-6 addict

tried most of them

my main humble DAW

ASUS M2N-E bios-10 AMD 64 X2 6000 ~ 4G 800 DDR2
windows XP PRO 64 EDITION SONAR 6 PRODUCER EDITION;
MOTU 828 mkll.

all of my issues with cakewalk has been not understanding how to set it up to do what I want it to do
and most of all
divers and sound cards/or AD I/O

The newest addition that made me pull hair was the MOTU 828 mkII.

The problem was not getting the correct asio driver!

Cakewalk/sonar needs its own asio driver, not one from another DAW (IMO)
using the WDM and the MME drivers and you get latency problems, and the same problem with the wrong Asio driver
(I don't know the difference)BTW

Now that the new PC and the new DAW and the new MOTU interface, match the drivers, everything runs smooooooooth (knock on woody) heh

I once had a problem, like was being discussed earlier, and I discovered that one of the audio drivers was converting at a different rate then everything was set at.
the short story is the sample rates would be different and even though it was lined up at the beginning the tracks would go out of sync (drove me nuts for a long time)

BTW ....about the output gear and monitoring,
here is a clip from the motu 828 product page. .. the link
MOTU.com - MOTU 828mkII Overview

the quote
.. [You can add additional send/return loops using the 828mkII’s new CueMix DSP™ on-board mixing feature, a flexible DSP-driven 20-input/8-bus mixing and monitoring matrix that eliminates the need for an external mixer or patchbay. Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Then monitor all of these live inputs via the 828mkII’s main outs, headphone jack or any other output — with virtually no monitoring latency and no processor drain on your computer.]

what I use is a mixer with usb and usb wireless headphones.
I use the mixer as a patch bay and the inserts go to the motu
I can plug into the mixer record through the motu to
sonar-6 track whatever,through a FX (compressor) and come back out
with virtually no monitoring latency, there is a few noticable ms to the headphones, to me anyway and I'm slow, LOL.

enjoyed the thread guys. thanks
Old 7th November 2007
Here for the gear

Currently a Sonar 6.2.1 user.... since Pro Audio 6.

The latency issue is my only complaint with Sonar... This is how I've been able to work around it during a typical tracking session.

1. Record an audio clip of the click while tracking the rhythm section. (The click heard by the rhythm section with 0 latency monitoring.)

2. Overdubs are tracked as the original click is re-recorded to a new track.

3. Finally, select the overdubbed clips along with the new click clip, and manually nudge it til the "new click" lines up with the original click.

I haven't had success with the latency compensation #..
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Nut

Jumped from 5 to 7. Happier than a pig in ****.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

been there since cakewalk 6!
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Here.
Sonar 6.2.1
Commercial Demo Studio.
Works well.

Makin' Tracks Recording Studio
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Nourse View Post

The latency issue is my only complaint with Sonar... This is how I've been able to work around it during a typical tracking session.

1. Record an audio clip of the click while tracking the rhythm section. (The click heard by the rhythm section with 0 latency monitoring.)

3. Finally, select the overdubbed clips along with the new click clip, and manually nudge it til the "new click" lines up with the original click.

are you using the asio drivers? this shouldn't be such a hassle for you. i would talk to an expert about that (i'm not one!) but something isn't jiving properly
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Just got 7, a move up from 4. A little lost, but mostly because there are more options to filter through.

I don't like the new track view as much, (I lived there in 4) but the new console view is wonderous. And I do like the upgrades in the audio engines.

And the new batch of plug-ins is a maze in and of themselves. But very functional.

Sonar ROOLZ!

Jay
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Head

Sonar user here! Sonar 7 has a very nice harware send return feature with latency adjust.

Also some very nice plugins included with the producer edition.

I also really like the pattern editor in project 5. Its great for quickly creating midi patterns....

Running with RME FF800, works GREAT....
Old 7th November 2007
Here for the gear

Sonar 4 user here. Do all sorts of projects with great success. I have Sonar 6 but have too many unfinished projects in 4, will upgrade when they're done.
Old 7th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Nourse View Post

OK... this issue is what CW has called "recording latency adjustment" -- essentially, the alignment of new tracks to old ones. (Some other folks call this "hardware" latency since it's related to but not restricted to the roundtrip latency from AD-to-DA, minus whatever adjustment the driver has already applied.)

Depending on whether your use WDM/KS or ASIO drivers, the recording alignment adjustment works differently (as described in Soanr help).

You'll find the control on the Options/Audio/Advanced-tab... at the bottom of the dialog box, marked "Recording Latency Adjustment (Samples)."

(My description specifically describes the WDM/KS configuration -- it changes a little when you have ASIO drivers selected. You can read about it in Help.)

Beneath that you'll see a pull down (combo) box with a selection list of the sound devices that Sonar has access to (from other settings). Below that you'll see a box marked "Manual Offset" -- this is the number of samples you want to move/nudge newly recorded tracks forward by. (Unfortuantely for the handful of people whose device drivers over-compensate for such latency, there's no way of entering negative compensation values.)

[When you change the device selected in the pulldown, it will show whatever amount, if any, of comp you have entered for that device.]

If you enter the amount of comp there, then you should be good as long as you carefully measure the offset/misalignment that you are getting with your device and driver (using a loopback test and carefully noting sample values in the time ruler) and your device and driver's "misalignment" remains constant (I had a USB mic that had different misalignment in ever session, forcing me to recalculate each time -- a huge pain in Sonar 6 but Sonar 7 apparently has a calibration utility similar to Mackie Tracktion (and, I think, Cubase, but I hear conflicting info on that).

Anyhow, this was a huge vexation to me (my MOTU WDM/KS drivers deliver around an 8 ms misalignment in Sonar, Tracktion, and Reaper, unless compensated) but Sonar 6 gave us this rudimentary adjustment and Sonar 7 apparently refined it.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar 6 user here... but thinking of switching !

Been using Sonar ...since... pro audio 8 days.... I may switch to Mac.... Could I use Sonar 7 on a Mac Pro using Bootcamp ?
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

yes, it works fine
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
yes, it works fine
Are you running Sonar on a Mac ? After the long thread on midi jitter, introduced by Windows, I am thinking I need to look into a Mac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search