The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need a new DAW
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Need a new DAW

I have been using cakewalk for about 5 years, its great, but Im sick of it crashing. Im on my 3rd interface, spent $300 on my computer to add a hardrive and 32GB of memory.

* I record/mix/ master hard rock
* Only midi I use is addictive drums 2 and some occasional instruments.
* I record a lot of DI tracks and use Amplitube 4
* Organic plugins aren't a huge issue since I have a lot of 3rd party stuff
* I use external inserts, like a compressor pretty often

I like Sonar's prochannel, automation options, and customization. For instance, I can take a track fader, make it horizontal, and stretch it across the screen to see exact volume. That is probably the most important feature to me.

Ive gotten to the point where Im "saving" every 30 seconds, and feel like I constantly have to bounce tracks to lessen the plugin load. I also am constantly losing work, hearing pops, and having to erase/reload the program.

I also have the cheap version of harrison mixbus, but barely know how to use it. It doesnt seem like it has features like most DAWs, I think its mostly for final editing. Although the sound is great.

I appreciate it if anyone has switched from Cakewalk, or used multiple DAWs. Thanks
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Pretty good, less than 25% CPU usage normally. Not to mention I added a new hard drive, and now have 32gb of ram. These issues came back recently. Pops, and the software freezing constantly. My new trick is "open program as administrator" seems to help. The pop has always happened, every time I bounce a clip, track, add a heavy plugin, I take the headphones off just due to instinct. Otherwise it's a painful click.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Since Windows 10 I have had to set Sonar/Cakewalk as an exception in my anti-virus to stop it from weirding out. I had pops and clicks, disappearing now-time line, midi notes that wouldn't play, projects that all of a sudden wouldn't allow me to add any audio tracks, etc. But setting it up as an exception in the anti-virus pretty much fixed it all.

However, if you are resolute in getting a new DAW, I would recommend Studio One 4.5 Pro. For tracking and editing purposes, there is a reason a lot of Pro Tools guys are either switching or at least dipping their feet in that water. Plus you'll get a kick out of switching presets in instruments/plugs with playback running and the program not glitching or temporarily freezing at all.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks will try all this first.
Old 5th July 2019
JAT
Lives for gear
Try the freeze function for your tracks.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Here a Studio One user too.
For hardrock studio one will be a good daw.
Especially mixing is high quality.
You can use all the same shortcuts/commands as you did Cakewalk, look in the manual for it.
Just try the demo.
For tutorials look on yt for clips for studio one expert, Obedia and Marcus Huyskens, it's a great source to get you running.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

samplitude. i left sonar due to drop outs and crashes and freezing. i use sequoia but samplitude is the exact same things. trust me and believe you will be really pleased and work for hours with no problems. only problem i ever encountered is using undo/redo while the audio engine is playing it will crash. but i now learned to not do that while i am running the audio. i seriously can run 3x's the amount of plugins of sonar and not get one single drop out. i couldn't run 1 instance of psp e27 eq but now i can run multiple instances same with nebula. i am just amazed how efficient the daw is with handling cpu of plugins.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear
For MIDI drums, studio one has a major flaw. Can't use the Poly aftertouch for mute on crash, on MIDI channel 10 where the drums live.

Only Sonar and Cubase have the deepest set of MIDI tools for drum editing. Logic is also good at that if you are on the MAC side vs PC.

Sonar has been sold a few times in the past fast years. Unstable support, some parts of MIDI setup are clunky.

Cubase is my current choice until Studio One fix's that bug.

If you go with Sonar (Cheaper), I have a control surface designed for Sonar. Could sell it!. My new setup uses Nucleus with Cubase.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Sonar has been sold a few times in the past fast years. Unstable support, some parts of MIDI setup are clunky. ...
If you go with Sonar (Cheaper), I have a control surface designed for Sonar. Could sell it!. ...
Just to ensure the comments about Sonar acknowledge the new status of the product; it's now a free download known as Cakewalk by BandLab.

Support is strictly via the surprisingly responsive forum that is frequented by the senior developer who was retained after the buyout from Gibson in Feb 2018.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I moved from Sonar X3 to Reaper. Still keep the band lab version on my hard drive for old times sake, but everything is SO much more stable in Reaper. MIDI handling has improved massively over the last year or so & vst handling has always been both efficient and fast, plus it will struggle to run even the most broken of plgins where other S/W (especially Sonar) just dumps them. Worth a try on the 60 day free trial of the full version.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

havin performance & crashing brablms?
go reaper & dont look back.
the most ugly and the most stable daw in this part of the galaxy (I like ugly, aint need shiny seducers)
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Nut

Would have have to agree with that. Reaper looks like it's from the 90's. The closest I found to Sonar seems to be Studio One. I haven't done a project with any of them, just tinkered around. I'm not gonna say one is better or worse without a year on it. To each his own. I still have projects on Sonar to wrap up, so I just hit save every 5 minutes for now.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Odd. I've been on Sonar -I should say 'Pro Audio 8 from day one to Sonar 8.5.. and crashes probably number in the single digits. I've also been on DAWs from the likes of Jim Roseberry of Studio Cat, so that may have something to do with it.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Addict

Cakewalk doesn't crash on me. It has a deeper set of tools for midi editing and Vsti hosting than any other Daw I've used. Audio editing is pretty amazing. What's not to like.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut

You know I think it comes in phases. The new trick I learned today, is [B]turn off fast boot in win 10[B] Not sure why that would help, but no issues today. Its popping here and there, but no crashes. The computer turns on slightly slower, but it seems to help. Try that if you're having issues.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut

Also, I've used a focusrite 2i2, steinberg ur22, and now have a Native Instruments KA6. Same outcome. Last time I ran latency mon, an issue came up saying it was a "kernel" something. The computer tech didnt know what that was.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
You know I think it comes in phases. The new trick I learned today, is [B]turn off fast boot in win 10[B] Not sure why that would help, but no issues today. Its popping here and there, but no crashes. The computer turns on slightly slower, but it seems to help. Try that if you're having issues.
'Popping here and there LOL? What the heck does that mean?
(gees.. facepalms, smiles.. :>)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had problems with CW dropping out audio, freezing in the middle of recording, etc after one of the Platinum updates.
All that stopped when I got my new computer. The cpu usage meter made it seem like everything should be okay, but everything was not okay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search