The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do I need a Trim plugin for this case?
Old 19th April 2019
Do I need a Trim plugin for this case?

I have finally given the jump to many Bias FX instances, which is incredibly sounding (I come from POD era ).

Now I have the typical "problem", all my tracks are good leveled and they are separately pretty far from clipping, the gain entering and leaving the plugins are correct, but my master is hitting 0dB. If I low down the Master fader I am avoiding the clipping BUT: am I letting to increase the headroom while reducing the Master fader OR do I need another method??

I can do this track by track by descending the whole automation area, but if you know more pro recomendatios, I would love to know. Thank you guys!

PD: I don't note almost any difference in volume by reducing the gain trim in guitar tracks, I can feel guitars exciting a little bit more/less the amps, but the volume are pretty similar doing this so I don't think is the solution to level properly the Master output.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHAWK View Post
I have finally given the jump to many Bias FX instances, which is incredibly sounding (I come from POD era ).

Now I have the typical "problem", all my tracks are good leveled and they are separately pretty far from clipping, the gain entering and leaving the plugins are correct, but my master is hitting 0dB. If I low down the Master fader I am avoiding the clipping BUT: am I letting to increase the headroom while reducing the Master fader OR do I need another method??

I can do this track by track by descending the whole automation area, but if you know more pro recomendatios, I would love to know. Thank you guys!

PD: I don't note almost any difference in volume by reducing the gain trim in guitar tracks, I can feel guitars exciting a little bit more/less the amps, but the volume are pretty similar doing this so I don't think is the solution to level properly the Master output.
You need to group send the output of all your guitar tracks to a "new stereo bus" and then use the bus fader to control their volume. The guitar bus fader will not effect how your amp sim sounds, it will just control the volume. This bus then goes to your master out.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Select and temporary group the tracks and bring them down a bit, or..
Pull the pre insert gain/trim on the master bus down a bit. (You can do it at the master fader too, I happen to prefer trimming at the gain slider and the master remaining zeroed.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluttyMcSlut View Post
You need to group send the output of all your guitar tracks to a "new stereo bus" and then use the bus fader to control their volume. The guitar bus fader will not effect how your amp sim sounds, it will just control the volume. This bus then goes to your master out.
Nice, using buses will be absolutely a good solution, but: after bringing down that guitars bus volume, will remain the headroom? I mean, the sum of those tracks (which separately are far from zero) is clipping, so it is enough by decreasing their bus, just that? I don't know if I am explaining well. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Put trim on the individual gtr tracks after all of the other plugins and get each track around -18 or -12... then send all of those tracks to a buss

If you just send the tracks as they are to a buss you are still clipping your daw.

Do a google search on daw gain staging... pick s level that you can live with (I live around -18 because I use a lot of outboard)... living like this I never clip any channel or buss, including the master.

Never ever control volume with the master buss volume fader.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHAWK View Post
Nice, using buses will be absolutely a good solution, but: after bringing down that guitars bus volume, will remain the headroom? I mean, the sum of those tracks (which separately are far from zero) is clipping, so it is enough by decreasing their bus, just that? I don't know if I am explaining well. Thanks!
The 'headroom once in the DAW is immense! It's at the A/D -during recording, and the D/A feeding the final physical output that staying below clipping matters.
If the tracks were recorded with a reasonable amount of headroom, and you keep your final master D/A below clipping -you're good to move on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search