The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland JV 1010 Expansion
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

Roland JV 1010 Expansion

Greetings all

I have been using the Roland JV-1010 for a lot of years. I know it is old but it still sounds fantastic for what I'm doing with it.

A few weeks ago I came across the "expansion board" that was available for it - something that I never had for it. I was looking around on eBay and much to my joy I found one. I ordered it right away.

It arrived today but much to my surprise it wasn't a "board" that I thought I would have installed into the 1010. It came on a CD. The CD contains 40 folders and in each folder there are 200 "Banks" of "SYX" files.

My question is, how do I get all of these SYX or Banks into the 1010 so that I can assign them as instruments in Sonar? In a perfect world I would like to merge all of these new expansion files with the patches that are already there in the 1010.

I am using an M-Audio MIDI X2. One input for the Roland and the other for my Ketron SD 2 module.

I will add that my current works very well. I would just like to get the new "expansion" sounds into the 1010 so that they'll show up as new Banks that I can assign as "ins" in Sonar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

The only way to expand Roland JV-1010 is using one of those SR-JV80-** cards.
The SYX files could be dumped into JV-1010, rewriting its default user bank with new ones (patch or performance).
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Head

Thanks, James...

I actually ended up finding a proper expansion "board" for the 1010 and it works fine. But that's not the end of my story.

I became totally fed up with trying to get all my old gear working properly. It seemed like every time I'd get it to go, something else would come up. I was spending more time trying to get everything to work than I was making music. I'm not what you'd call tech savvy.

So... it all got thrown in a drawer - mixer and all - and was replaced by a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Addictive Drums 2 and SampleTank 4 (also, SampleTank 3 came with 4 at no extra charge) Funny thing is, all my new stuff still cost less than what I paid for the old gear many years ago. Yes, it really was time for me to catch up and start using new technology.

I love the fact that all I have to do is turn on one switch, start up the DAW and start making music.

/OM
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Myer View Post
Thanks, James...

I actually ended up finding a proper expansion "board" for the 1010 and it works fine. But that's not the end of my story.

I became totally fed up with trying to get all my old gear working properly. It seemed like every time I'd get it to go, something else would come up. I was spending more time trying to get everything to work than I was making music. I'm not what you'd call tech savvy.

So... it all got thrown in a drawer - mixer and all - and was replaced by a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Addictive Drums 2 and SampleTank 4 (also, SampleTank 3 came with 4 at no extra charge) Funny thing is, all my new stuff still cost less than what I paid for the old gear many years ago. Yes, it really was time for me to catch up and start using new technology.

I love the fact that all I have to do is turn on one switch, start up the DAW and start making music.

/OM
It looks like your new 6i6 will handle your .sys midi exchanges with your old gear. Just hook up the midi in/outs with the 6i6 and your Roland (when you settle down and get nostalgic again..haha). You will then have your old gear talking with your pc then all you need is a simple program (I use Bome SendSX). The first time you do it will take a bit of time, but after that, you will be swapping sounds in and out quickly. The only problems I have ever had were solved by slowing down the transfer speed inside of the SendSX....(older gear needs more time LOL.) I load sounds into an old Juno, JX10 and a V-Synth btw.)
The software (whichever you decide on) will have a user manual and again, once you get past the "fear factor", you will see how fairly easy it all is. You can then manage and handle files all on your computer.

I have a "hardware only" home studio with 32 channels of synths all going into DAW via USB and I record live tracks old school style with 1/4" cables. Crazy I know, but I simply enjoy the process and it's just plain fun. Good luck man, that old JV is a good unit btw.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search