The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What controller works Best with Sonar Platinum?
Old 15th July 2018
Presonus faderport with Sonar Platinum?

Hello all... I've been eyeing up a Presonus Faderport as they are about to put out a new revision. I'm wondering if it would be worth getting.. some mixed reviews I've read with other DAWs other than Studio One. Thanks!

Last edited by btbed; 17th July 2018 at 08:10 AM..
Old 23rd July 2018
Here for the gear

The faderport is advertised to work with all major daws, so if there is an issue you could return it.

I found this:

Cakewalk - Knowledge Base - Setup the PreSonus FaderPort as a SONAR Control Surface

For uncommon comtrollers Sonar has a function called ACT built in. Anything supporting Mackie Control is supported already.

Using Sonar's ACT With Hardware Controllers |

Don't forget CbB has touch screen technology too.
Old 23rd July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by starise View Post
The faderport is advertised to work with all major daws, so if there is an issue you could return it.

I found this:

Cakewalk - Knowledge Base - Setup the PreSonus FaderPort as a SONAR Control Surface

For uncommon comtrollers Sonar has a function called ACT built in. Anything supporting Mackie Control is supported already.

Using Sonar's ACT With Hardware Controllers |

Don't forget CbB has touch screen technology too.
Thanks so much man.
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear
Just to chime in here; I'm in week-2 of using my new-to-me Contour ShuttlePro V2 controller. [www.contourdesign.com]. It has been a charming experience.

I have the top row of 4-buttons configured for toggling (respectively, left-to-right) Clip/Automation, Loop on/off, Select loop, choose All-Custom-Mix-FX-I/O.
The next rows of 5-buttons configured as: Return-to-Zero, Previous Marker, Stop/Play, Next Marker, Insert Marker
The shuttle ring has 6 speeds for scrolling the cursor along the timeline. The center spinner is set to increase/decrease values (mouse up/down) of whatever I fly over.
The two 'wing' buttons on either side of the ring are for horizontal zoom in/out. The next two buttons down are individual track vertical zoom in/out. The bottom pair of buttons are set for vertical zoom of all tracks in/out. So far 'charming' is the word. I feel more relaxed and getting a bit faster at editing, despite already being an experienced Sonar/Cakewalk user.

As part of full disclosure, I have an M32 mixer (for a couple of years now) with the Mackie Control enabled for the 8 motorized faders on the right. For the most part, my usage of the MIDI buttons has been limited, and the main advantage the 8 faders give me is control over setting multiple fader levels when experimenting with mix balance in the early stages of a mix. Nothing else is as convenient as being able to try hundreds of combinations in near real-time by grabbing multiple faders. I have it arranged to allow me to do track fader moves, and toggle to doing bus fader moves. That was a hassle to set up but well worth it.

I'm telling you all of this because the single fader of the FaderPort product seemed very attractive to me, and I almost bought it before giving the ShuttlePro a try. You should simply add the ShuttlePro to the list of devices to be considered. Finally, the Console1 product from SofTube is also very interesting to me; it lives in the nether world between a plug-in and and a control surface, and has been on my gotta-try-it list for almost a year. Stay tuned.

EDIT: While working today, I changed the 'W' Return-to-Zero button to 'A' which had been keyboard customized to Process>>Apply Effect>>Gain. In that way, I overcame the tendency for typing the 'W' in a marker description to move the transport to zero, and also saved three mouse clicks on processing gain for regions. Moreover, I changed the Previous/Next Marker setting from 'once' to 5x per second. So, holding down the button quickly navigates across multiple markers, while a single push moves by just one marker as before. Nice tool!

Last edited by MediaGary; 23rd July 2018 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: documented ShuttlePro settings update
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Addict

Hi. A bit of a late response. I use a Tascam FW 1884 in Native mode with great success in SONAR Platinum/Cakewalk by BandLab.
I also have a Console 1 that works great for volume and pan (plus the included SSL plugin).
All the best.

Last edited by Zargg; 17th August 2018 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: to add
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargg View Post
Hi. A bit of a late response. I use a Tascam FW 1884 in Native mode with great success in SONAR Platinum/Cakewalk by BandLab.
I also have a Console 1 that works great for volume and pan (plus the included SSL plugin).
All the best.
I use the FW 1884 for as well! However I've noticed when using faders or pan pots its not smooth.. as in.. When pushing up a fader the volume jumps in steps of 2db.. not .1db. And panning does steps of 3 or 5..Any idea how to fix this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaub1 View Post
I use the FW 1884 for as well! However I've noticed when using faders or pan pots its not smooth.. as in.. When pushing up a fader the volume jumps in steps of 2db.. not .1db. And panning does steps of 3 or 5..Any idea how to fix this?
I am not sure about the FW1884 protocol, but try holding the SHIFT key while using the faders or pan pot to see if it reduces the movement to 1/10th its original rate.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaub1 View Post
Hi. I do not have that issue, so not sure what causes it.
Mine is smooth down to .1 dB.
I did use this as a guide when setting it up, and helped me.
http://deeringamps.com/fw1884/sonarx_fw1884.htm
All the best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search