The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My idea for cakewalk
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Addict

My idea for cakewalk

I work with cakewalk sonar 5 ears ago .
from cakewalk pro 9 up to cakewalk X3

I think this daw can be best daw in the world but sonar has some problem .
Now I am going to explain about my idea for cakewalk .
and you can write your ideas too.

1. Mac osx
2. create new protocol for change cubase / protools / logic program to sonar like OMF but very different .
3. shortcut bank : like cubase / protools / logic and other program shortcut for easily working new worker .
4. working with some dsp hardware company like Universall audio or antelope or TC .
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

Yeah, I have an idea. How about the being able to natively set the meter to odd backbeat meters, like 4/9.
For myself I just just play over what ever meter I set up but I am asking for a friend, and it would be nice to have the ability after all.
Old 22nd April 2018
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
4/9?
Maybe he only plays on April 9th
Old 22nd April 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
1. Cakewalk has tried to port and write their code for Mac - and haven't got it right in 20 years. What makes you think a "free" DAW is going to have the funding for a complete code rewrite?

2. A free DAW that comes up w/ a protocal for sharing between (paid) DAWs? See above.

3. I'm not sure what you mean.

4. Working w/ a DSP company - like Roland? While computer speeds continue to get faster?

Good ideas, mostly. Except Cakewalk has tried and failed. There seem to be 2 coders left, which is probably good for a PC-only DAW that is free. Many more and it becomes unaffordable, which is the problem w/ most of the above solutions.
Old 22nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
Maybe he only plays on April 9th
Mmm... he'd be 11 days short of an ounce.

[Go ahead and groan. It deserves it.]
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
4/9?
Yeah, supposedly some progg guy had a thing for this odd beat; and my friend was just programming odd beats in drums when he noticed he couldn't notate it.

Well, 5/8 is at least more usual in Jazz and some 20th century orchestral stuff, Stravinsky had some.

Thinking in meters makes my head hurt, easier just to play and feel it
Old 23rd April 2018
Are you sure you don't mean 9/4? I'm no theory maven by a stretch but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything but even numbers on the bottom in a time signature -- and these sources seem to support that...*

Time Signatures | Reading Music | StudyBass

Time signature - Wikipedia

*There is a notation called the metric proportion that has sometimes been written in a form that looks like a modern time signature only without the line dividing the upper and lower numbers. One can read about it here: Time signature - Wikipedia
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Well it is part of 'Irrational meters' (an other name non-dyadic time signature). But as you say the bottom is basically just a time scale and when you start messing with that it quickly turns into the 'black hole of Calcutta'

Personally I have never, never in my life been aware of seeing or hearing 9 as the denominator but other I have, like 5.

My friend might have had a brain fever resulting from programming 4/9 because I haven't been able to get hold of him the last couple of days, I was thinking he could send me a drum track and explain the importance of using this particular very odd and confusing meter.

I myself like the odd Meshuggha, Balkan or Indian music but even they are more traditional than the meters he has been going on about

[EDIT] I would argue with him on the point though that not having a no way to 'notate' the flow in our normal staff system since it lacks any symbol to note the pulse: nothing fits.
But just playing some odd meter and 'feeling' the occasional backbeat works. But he can not notate this - he can program it because there are no rules on how you put down your sound except the resolution of the grid. [might be wrong here, I don't usually make much use of the staff system]

The way I see the notation system is that you put down something that is 'readable' and then it is up to the conductor to interpret it. One can not go about and note down every single thing you play, it would make a nightmare score - basically unreadable.

I think it is interesting thinking about it, but outside playing it I don't see that big a need for being able to note that the time signature is actually 4/9, because that will put everything else out of order - I can't see how to do a proper notation of it (might be wrong, thinking of 6/7). I only make the simplest of notations, it is just a way to get across an idea, a shorthand without nuances in my case.
But it would be nice to have the 'lines' in Sonar match up, so that is why I support the idea of getting a wider support for time signatures in Cakewalk (gotten used to saying Sonar, but now people are tuting the Cakewalk brand again and I like that better myself too).
[END EDIT]

Last edited by RobLocksley; 23rd April 2018 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: More ramblings...
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Enjoy

x/5 = quintuplet quarters
x/10 = quintuplet eighths
x/20 = quintuplet sixteenths
x/6 = triplet quarters
x/12 = triplet eighths
x/24 = triplet sixteenths
x/7 = septuplet quarters
x/14 = septuplet eighths

Last edited by RobLocksley; 23rd April 2018 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: removal of text
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search