The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best program in the world , but free ....????
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

Best program in the world , but free ....

Cakewalk company
Best daw in the world.
Bad daw in the policy .
After 30 years , now is free .
And cakewalk don’t work with apple .
Do you think bandlab thinking true ?!
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

As a Sonar user, if they haven't crippled it or added obnoxious requirements, I think this is an incredible deal. IMO it beats the pants off other freeware out there
Old 6th April 2018
There are a few third party things missing. (I was surprised to find Melodyne working in mine, but I guess maybe that's because it came to me in a previous Sonar as a plug-in rather than one of those only-works-in-this-version inclusions; I didn't really pay much attention.) One thing that struck me as a bit odd: I only found two dither options, triangle and square.

But it all seems to work fine, for the most part, for me. One user elsewhere noted that the About message from the Help panel has something like "Membership valid through 10-04-2018" on it, which he (probably in that edge-of-frustration mode that comes from 'forced' change) interpreted as meaning free use of the application would end then or be subject to some kind of renewal -- but I reread the Terms & Conditions and it seems pretty clear:

Quote:
Cakewalk by BandLab is a streamlined version of SONAR Platinum – and certain third party products and content bundles will no longer be included. Existing users who have already purchased bundles or individual third party products and plug-ins can still use those products with Cakewalk by BandLab.

The new installation of Cakewalk by BandLab via BandLab Assistant will not affect previous installations of SONAR.
All users can download Cakewalk by BandLab and access the full feature set for free, without access limitations.
Any bundled or independently purchased plug-ins or add-ons that worked with SONAR will integrate with Cakewalk by BandLab.
More detail on the feature offering can be found at BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk | Important Announcement.
SONAR relaunches as ‘Cakewalk by BandLab’: Iconic DAW now free to download for everyone - BandLab Blog
Old 6th April 2018
There are a few third party things missing. (I was surprised to find Melodyne working in mine, but I guess maybe that's because it came to me in a previous Sonar as a plug-in rather than one of those only-works-in-this-version inclusions; I didn't really pay much attention.) One thing that struck me as a bit odd: I only found two dither options, triangle and square.

But it all seems to work fine, for the most part, for me. One user elsewhere noted that the About message from the Help panel has something like "Membership valid through 10-04-2018" on it, which he (probably in that edge-of-frustration mode that comes from 'forced' change) interpreted as meaning free use of the application would end then or be subject to some kind of renewal -- but I reread the Terms & Conditions and it seems pretty clear:

Quote:
Cakewalk by BandLab is a streamlined version of SONAR Platinum – and certain third party products and content bundles will no longer be included. Existing users who have already purchased bundles or individual third party products and plug-ins can still use those products with Cakewalk by BandLab.

The new installation of Cakewalk by BandLab via BandLab Assistant will not affect previous installations of SONAR.
All users can download Cakewalk by BandLab and access the full feature set for free, without access limitations.
Any bundled or independently purchased plug-ins or add-ons that worked with SONAR will integrate with Cakewalk by BandLab.
More detail on the feature offering can be found at BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk | Important Announcement.
SONAR relaunches as ‘Cakewalk by BandLab’: Iconic DAW now free to download for everyone - BandLab Blog
Old 6th April 2018

Quote:

More detail on the feature offering can be found at BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk |Important Announcement.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

The POW-R dithering component was a third-party plugin. Meng at Bandlab is looking at getting that back. And Meng has also clarified the expiration date issue, saying that in the next update that will be gone, and that the product does not expire.
Old 8th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevola View Post
The POW-R dithering component was a third-party plugin. Meng at Bandlab is looking at getting that back. And Meng has also clarified the expiration date issue, saying that in the next update that will be gone, and that the product does not expire.
Ah, that's good to know!
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Nut

Incredible DAW for free. >This changed all for me
bye Apple and logic, coming back to Sonar. As win10 pro 1803 is now a great OS, I switched from Macos/Logic to Win10/Sonar. don't need anymore reaper studio one or cubase. I have a nice PC with a great OS and a great Daw again for Windows.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search