The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonar is now free to all
Old 6th May 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
Just a quick question - what happens with older Cakewalk licenses, such as Sonar X3 Producer? Will I be able to continue using it indefinitely? I also had a Sonar subscription but haven’t used it in months. I’m curious where that leaves me now, because I’m not really wanting to install Bandlab yet.
I guess it bears repeating again. If you have older Cake software you need to files for it and the serial/reg numbers. Later stuff was registered online, and that info is still available at the store and programs through the Cakewalk Command Center (CCC). BandLab is supposed to be maintaining those functions, tho they have no legal obligation.

You should be able to use anything already on your computer until a Windows update breaks it - if you are on 7 or 8 you should be fine until your rig dies. You will be able to load any Cakewalk Software until Windows breaks something or BandLab drops CCC. Note, no Cakewalk software will be updated, only the version(s) through BandLab.

Finally, a subscription should still work, and you could contact support, which is still (allegedly) functioning.

Cakewalk by BandLab CbB is the new name of the DAW SONAR. BandLab itself is a music social site, although you have to install and register there to get CbB. After that, you don't need it and can remove the program.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
If you have older Cake software you need to files for it and the serial/reg numbers. Later stuff was registered online, and that info is still available at the store and programs through the Cakewalk Command Center (CCC). BandLab is supposed to be maintaining those functions, tho they have no legal obligation.

You should be able to use anything already on your computer until a Windows update breaks it - if you are on 7 or 8 you should be fine until your rig dies. You will be able to load any Cakewalk Software until Windows breaks something or BandLab drops CCC. Note, no Cakewalk software will be updated, only the version(s) through BandLab.
Thanks for the info. I'm a user since Cakewalk 3 or 4 pro in the early 90's. I've the final update for Sonar Platinum lifetime. I've fully registered with BandLab & have yet to download and install their free Cakewalk version since it's nearly the same, but I probably will once it gets rolling with significant changes. I will keep Sonar Platinum so the installed plug ins from that (and prior versions like 8.5 and prior not in the X or latest series) will be available to scan for BandCake.

You may download files and reg serial numbers? I came from the era of having to use all those, and since of course on the GibsonSonar versions, a lot less "type in number authorizations" were needed (if any, really). Of course I want every last Sonitus and Blue Tubes free plug in to keep working. The Drum Replacer in GibsonSonar that's not in BandCake, Addictive Drums, etc.. I believe there is a record of registrations and serials at the old Cakewalk page that is still running. Since that may not run forever, I should be downloading those (installers, and/or serials and registration numbers?)
Old 9th May 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
You used to buy a CD then DVD for Cake stuff. That went bye bye after SONAR went subscription and you had all your products (tho not the old ones - no P5) avialable online through the Command Center. The old Cake Store should still have all your serial/reg numbers, incl. the older ones. CC gives you the numbers for the post subcription software and latest. They were working the last time I checked.

The new Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW is the engine and effects but picks up your Platnum stuff on your computer. You will be responsible for adding those to any new installation - Bandlab has nothing to do w/ the rest of the software and 3rd party. I think Meng said they were adding back in drum replacer for the next CbB version. CbB will also be doing bug fixes with updates.
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Head

Just in case anyone's interested, I set up a new laptop yesterday and looked out my old Sonar X3 Producer download from 2014. Installed it and the last X3 patch, and was able to authorise it without any bother using the Serial and Registration numbers that I could still access on my Cakewalk website user area.

The same was true for the bundled stuff - Melodyne Essentials, Rapture, Dimension etc.
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Nut

Coming back to Sonar
Sonar on Win10 Mixbus on Linux
thinking about leaving Macos and Logic

NB left Macos X and Logic proX
I'm done with Apple
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
...I wondered if CW/Sonar might get picked up by Magix or some other Corel-like bottom feeder sucking up old/orphaned software...
LOL, wry observation about corel. They have those software suites with everything but the kitchen sink--a treasure trove of also-rans.

I was looking at video editing software, and I had good experience with vegas maybe 15 years ago. Well, recently I looked at their web page with the magix stuff and it sort of didn't make sense and I couldn't tell which offering was what, so I steered clear of them altogether.
Old 14th May 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
Vegas is probably the best video NLE for the PC. Majix bought it, did a sale for cheap and then launched an upgrade that didn't include much new. So far they haven't screwed up anythingm tho. Yea, the web site is more for the casual user than a pro. But the products, so far, are pretty good. And for $300 I got upgrades for Vegas, Sound Forge and a new Samplitude (haven't messed w/ it much yet) plus Spectral Layers. A lot of pro tools done cheap, even if some of the upgrades aren't earth shattering. As a matter of fact, I still use the earlier SF.

Most of the rest of their stuff is consumer oriented crapola, but they've managed to deliver the pro stuff they've bought without screwing it up.
Old 14th May 2018
I'll offer a cautionary note on Magix and their stewardship of the Vegas/Sound Forge Sonic Foundry legacy... I'd been upgrading under the Sony ownership every few versions and decided to take Magix up on an upgrade offer. I 'saved' $10 (I think it was) by getting the download-only version.

What I didn't realize is that the download-only version is effectively sold AS-IS -- there is essentially no warranty/guarantee or anything like it with the download-only version. (I finally got burned by not reading the fine print far enough.)

And nothing I could do would get it to work on the same machine (Vegas) Movie Studio 13.0 was running fine on.

And NO avenue of redress, whatsoever.

So if you're going to try a Magix version -- make SURE you check the fine print and buy the physical disk version so you (hopefully -- do check that fine print) get a warranty.

I'd bought some Magix stuff before. I can't imagine doing it again. Which is kind of a shame, because those Sonic Foundry apps were really quite good under both SF and Sony.
Old 15th May 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
I spent the extra $10 for Vegas. Glad to know I didn't waste that money.
Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I spent the extra $10 for Vegas. Glad to know I didn't waste that money.

I've been buying and using software since the mid-1980s and this is the first time I've got burned -- without recourse -- on a software-download-only purchase. (Of course, long ago, I actually WOULD read all the fine print... but at a certain point, as the fine print stacked into tens of thousands of words unbound by the real world of paper printing, that quaint practice went to the roadside. )
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Been out the game for a few months. Good news to see my DAW of choice being continued. Anyone tried the new free sonar with an X3 producer install? I have a stable system with X3e producer and dont really want to upset it, nor can i see the platinum benefits over X3, but like i said i been out of the game for a few months.
Not interested in add ons, because i have plenty of ITB fx/synths, but if there was a reason to install the free platinum version over X3 in terms of interface, DAW functionality etc. Im all ears.
Cheers
Old 27th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiller View Post
Been out the game for a few months. Good news to see my DAW of choice being continued. Anyone tried the new free sonar with an X3 producer install? I have a stable system with X3e producer and dont really want to upset it, nor can i see the platinum benefits over X3, but like i said i been out of the game for a few months.
Not interested in add ons, because i have plenty of ITB fx/synths, but if there was a reason to install the free platinum version over X3 in terms of interface, DAW functionality etc. Im all ears.
Cheers
I have both the 'last' X3 sub-version as well as the earlier 8.6.

I missed the option in the CW/BL installation that would try to update settings from previous installs, but, aside from default folders (which I just manually updated to match my old settings), pretty much all the plugs seemed to 'automatically' be found, anyhow. YMMV. (A few of the 'premium' freebies from past releases were designed to limit their usability in other platforms, but I'm not sure if I really 'lost' any, not any I regularly depend on, anyhow.)

As always, you'll probably want to make sure you or your system sets a restore point before the install (just in case, eh?) but I was genuinely quite pleased with how smooth it's been.
Old 20th July 2018
Here for the gear

I'm running both the older Platinum version of Sonar and the more recent CbB. The good news is I can go between programs to use the 3rd party things not offered in CbB. The bad news is my plugin list takes a real hit between the two. My scan in Platinum is just a tad over 1200 plugins. In CbB it drops to just a hair over 900. Ouch.

Granted I didn't use much of the Bluetube or DX stuff.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Addict

Just tried this, cakewalk installed 5 years of c++ garbage and net framework, without informing me. No thanks, no way.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Don't forget that from 2008 to 2013 CW was owned by Roland who are, of course, based in east Asia (specifically Japan). Also perhaps worth noting, since 2005, Singapore has incorporated criminal (in addition to traditional civil) penalties for qualifying instances of copyright infringement, which came about as a consequence of a 2003 free trade agreement between the US and Singapore. https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bits...cific_Ch15.pdf
Copyright infringement laws in china? I'd have to label that the ultimate oxymoron.
Old 15th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Copyright infringement laws in china? I'd have to label that the ultimate oxymoron.
Singapore, not China. Very different. Former Brit colony, member of the Commonwealth, etc.

Singapore - Wikipedia
Old 30th August 2018
Here for the gear

Hi
Has anyone studied the TOS for CWb? I am very leary. Since. I read the BandLab TOS(Just Stupid rights use!). That stopped me cold.

I am interested in collaboration. But not like that. I am still trying to make sure the Cubase pro Sharing module is Safe (as far as TOS).

Yes 40 years ago I was burned bad for 3 songs.
Old 25th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestG View Post
Hi
Has anyone studied the TOS for CWb? I am very leary. Since. I read the BandLab TOS(Just Stupid rights use!). That stopped me cold.

I am interested in collaboration. But not like that. I am still trying to make sure the Cubase pro Sharing module is Safe (as far as TOS).

Yes 40 years ago I was burned bad for 3 songs.
Are you referring to the Bandlab app for collaboration? If so, I can tell you it isn't spyware. You may choose to omit it from the startup panel. In fact I think a few have deleted the app, but then, when updates come out you won't get them.

Don't confuse CbB with the Bandlab app. Two different things. CbB has a reporting widget the same as most other daws have which you can opt out of. If it's engaged it just sends data on the daw back to Cakewalk. It doesn't look for your credt card numbers or anything like that Easy to uncheck the info sharing.

Cakewalk isn't unusual in that they have an app "front end" for updates, new purchases etc. Everyone is doing that. Can't really get away from it entirely. You can opt to not run it though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search