The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar is now free to all DAW Software
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) is the free DAW. It is basically a stripped out version of last year's SONAR w/ a couple of updates. You get the built-in PC channels (I believe, I haven't downloaded it yet) but none of the other VST/VSTis (again, I think). The extra software (I suppose CbB does have the Sonitus suite and a few other older DX and other plugs, which are enough for basic, clean mixing). From what I can gather BL will re-release the "premium" effects/synths for sale (what that means for us current users of Rapture Pro and the SSL channel etc. is not yet clear). And they should continue to bug fix CbB and add a few new features, tho because it is "free" I wouldn't expect much. Maybe they'll add pay features like scoring.

It really ain't rocket science. I would expect one such service like BandLab's will become mega big, but then all social media formats seems to be phased, with napster getting replaced by Apple music/Amazo, FB for myspace, etc.
If you mean scoring as in notation (Staff View), well that feature is still there so no need for anyone to buy that, unlike what Presonus does to have that type of thing where it's separate from Studio One and also a paid addon.
Old 10th April 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
For years every update to SONAR was accompanied by howls when Notation wasn't one the list of improved features. It is still a big bone stuck in some throats. Glad you have no problems w/ it, but many still do, even after the one staff view update. Personally, I couldn't care less about Notation and am sick of hearing about it.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
For years every update to SONAR was accompanied by howls when Notation wasn't one the list of improved features. It is still a big bone stuck in some throats. Glad you have no problems w/ it, but many still do, even after the one staff view update. Personally, I couldn't care less about Notation and am sick of hearing about it.
Don't know why you would pick a bone in something that you implied that wasn't there, when it clearly is...there are other commercial daws out there where traditional notation doesn't exist at all in any way shape or form. I sense some bitterness about Cakewalk going free for all now in it's current form...

Software that is being used, has a future... be thankful that Sonar didn't go the same way as Project 5..
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet, releasing it stripped down is a nice change. No more of those tons of plugs every update. Stripped of all that Craig Anderton garbage. This is what Cakewalk should have been doing from the start instead of ignoring tons of bugs and removing features that worked so that they can use the time in the update cycle to figure out how to jam more bloatware and garbage into Sonar to attract more sales.

Now all bandlab has to do is return the stereo interleave and phase buttons back to the track view and fix the problems in staff view and Sonar will be back on it's way to becoming a professional product once more, which it hasn't been since it became the X series.
Old 10th April 2018
Deleted User
I'll stick with Reaper. Although a Free DAW is good news. PT should bring back PT Free. People who buy a watered down free version often trade up to the full blown version once they know the product better.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet, releasing it stripped down is a nice change. No more of those tons of plugs every update. Stripped of all that Craig Anderton garbage. This is what Cakewalk should have been doing from the start instead of ignoring tons of bugs and removing features that worked so that they can use the time in the update cycle to figure out how to jam more bloatware and garbage into Sonar to attract more sales.

Now all bandlab has to do is return the stereo interleave and phase buttons back to the track view and fix the problems in staff view and Sonar will be back on it's way to becoming a professional product once more, which it hasn't been since it became the X series.
Totally agree. I'm so glad BandLab did not attempt to include all the bloatage of the Sonar, most of it was pure junk. What has been put forward by BandLab is the remarkable level of refinement Sonar had ascened to after a few bumpy years of terribly inconsistent buggy software. I can't remember the last time I had a crash in this most current version of Sonar . Stripped of all the add on's, it's almost the perfect DAW for midi programming, certainly leaps and bounds above any other in that regard.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

I didn't read every post here but one thing said a few times is that needs correction,, like "it is like getting Sonar Platinium " ,, No it's closer to getting Sonar Artist which was only $100. Sonar Plat was $400 because of the extra content and included 3rd party stuff. It came with a LOT of stuff which was one of it's better atributes.

And it's not stripped of Bloatware, it's stripped of the 3rd party Plug ins that cost money to licence. Go ahead and call plug ins bloatware but I'm sure most of us here collect them when we can and have more than we will ever
possibly use. It does include the plug ins that belong exclusivly to Cakewalk.

And Sonar's installer has always given you the choice on what gets installed and where.

There was complaints on day one about Bandlab version install and the app. They answered right away to say it's an early release and these things will be fixed ASAP. It's looking very possitive for Cakewalks future right now. Most of us are just happy the server is staying on line and any updates will just be icing on the Cake. Pun intended.
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
I didn't read every post here but one thing said a few times is that needs correction,, like "it is like getting Sonar Platinium " ,, No it's closer to getting Sonar Artist which was only $100. Sonar Plat was $400 because of the extra content and included 3rd party stuff. It came with a LOT of stuff which was one of it's better atributes.

And it's not stripped of Bloatware, it's stripped of the 3rd party Plug ins that cost money to licence. Go ahead and call plug ins bloatware but I'm sure most of us here collect them when we can and have more than we will ever
possibly use. It does include the plug ins that belong exclusivly to Cakewalk.

And Sonar's installer has always given you the choice on what gets installed and where.

There was complaints on day one about Bandlab version install and the app. They answered right away to say it's an early release and these things will be fixed ASAP. It's looking very possitive for Cakewalks future right now. Most of us are just happy the server is staying on line and any updates will just be icing on the Cake. Pun intended.
Good points.

But you have to remember, we've all been through a lot. Particularly those who had what they probably considered an active vestment in the future of the program under Gibson. I think a lot of folks are just kind of wary. I mean, I've read the phrase 'What's the catch?' more than a few times. It just all seems awfully good... to be true.

But it mostly really does seem... pretty good. Considering. I'm quite pleased so far.
Old 11th April 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Don't know why you would pick a bone in something that you implied that wasn't there, when it clearly is...there are other commercial daws out there where traditional notation doesn't exist at all in any way shape or form. I sense some bitterness about Cakewalk going free for all now in it's current form...

Software that is being used, has a future... be thankful that Sonar didn't go the same way as Project 5..
Implication is in the mind of the beholder. If I confused you I'm sorry. I never meant there was no notation - even tho I don't use it I knew it was there. Except after every iteration of SONAR there was a chorus of users complaining it has never been fixed. Slurs etc. and it was just too darn hard to use for serious work (or printing). Again, the closest I came to notation was 10-15 years ago when I was amused that it would type in (on the screen) the notes I played on keyboard. I simply wished they'd fix it so scorers would stop complaining.

Maybe you've written full orch and movie scores within SONAR scoring - even tho many users complained about it not being up to snuff for professional work. If you managed to overcome the software's alleged limitations congratulations, let us know the movie. If you just wanted to make sure everyone knew you knew that SONAR had scoring capabilities, congratulations again. You've won, pass go and collect $200 in monopoly money.

To quote William Burroughs, "me, I'm out of here."
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

My concern is this company is located in the orient and we all know just how much manufacturers in the orient respect intellectual rights and patents.
Companies have no problem pirating anything they want with impunity and they know their governments wont do a dam thing to stop them from infringing on copyright owners.

This whole thing about sharable files turns me off. Its bad enough I have Pace running on one of my DAW's which now requires an internet connection. Having a DAW that requires a connection or has anything running I don't allow to run is not something I'd opt for even if its free. I do run X1 and have been a cakewalk user since the late 90's when I started using CW 7.

I think I'll be able to shut off or remove much of the options that allow the program to run stealthy. The thing I will do is run something like CC cleaner which can monitor its install and completely remove it all if I need too. I'll take a screen shot of my services running and startup apps and also what's normally running in the task manager.

Another useful tool is to turn on your firewall notifications so any program attempting to access the internet will warn you and give you the option to block its access. I run Mcafee which does a pretty good job checking on what's running in the background. Some programs can install stuff in the root directory which can be very difficult to detect. Malwarebytes is an excellent tool for finding and eliminating some of the real crafty stuff that gets imbedded where it shouldn't be.

The fact this install doesn't allow you to control where files are installed and because they have a warning about running Windows Defender tells me they are installing things in places where they shouldn't be which can make them most difficult to find stealth activity, opening portals that should remain closed and making changes no saine person told the truth should make.

I may risk all of that but I will take many precautions to guard against allot of this stuff, including cloning the drive to a backup drive in case something goes fatally wrong I can do a quick recovery. I will likely try it over the weekend and give people my own assessment. I've been in the computing business since the first PC's were built and sold and fought many battles with this kind of stuff. I'm by no means an expert but every little bit of digging to verify trustworthiness can help.
Old 11th April 2018
Don't forget that from 2008 to 2013 CW was owned by Roland who are, of course, based in east Asia (specifically Japan). Also perhaps worth noting, since 2005, Singapore has incorporated criminal (in addition to traditional civil) penalties for qualifying instances of copyright infringement, which came about as a consequence of a 2003 free trade agreement between the US and Singapore. https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bits...cific_Ch15.pdf
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
free is fine but why does bandlabs page have to be stuck in the middle of my screen on my computer when I first start up my computer?I don't care for that
Probably because you forgot to uninstall Bandlab after you installed Cakewalk.

There is no trace of Bandlab on my computer after I uninstalled it, and the free Cakewalk is proving to be a lot of fun to use. Much more fun than it was when it was Pro Audio 8/9.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

This is what Cakewalk should have been doing from the start instead of ignoring tons of bugs

Now all bandlab has to do is return the stereo interleave and phase buttons back to the track view and

fix the problems in staff view and Sonar will be back on it's way to becoming a professional product once more
Having not followed Cakewalk for years and years until this freebie.... what bugs does the freebie have? Being that the freebie picks up where the paid version left off. Just curious about the bugs to watch for.

The default view that opens (and I've just kept there so far) with the stereo interleave and phase switch on the console in the lower view seems okay to me... dunno if duplicating it (or bringing it back as you say) to the track view is necessarily going to catapult Cakewalk to everyone's must-buy list.

I haven't looked at the staff view yet..... what's wrong with it?
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I work almost exclusively in Staff View. As a trained musician, it's my go-to. The other views are not as helpful to me. I read a lot how everybody's favorite and most used view is the Piano Roll, but I almost never use that. :P Interesting.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hmm... this sounds too good to be true. My first thought was "what's the catch?". And it seems the catch is no offline installation and having Bandlab sniffing around in the background to "share" your work unless you take some kind of action to prevent/remove it.

I have three questions:

1) If I want to ONLY use Sonar/Cakewalk, not Bandlab (or anything related to Bandlab), is it as simple as installing everything and then just uninstall Bandlab? Will this remove everything Bandlab-related running in the backgrund? Will this remove all the sharing features or is some of that baked into Cakewalk itself? I'm pretty scared of the idea of an online community potentially having access to my work if I hit a wrong button or forget to un-check a box somewhere!!!

2) Is there absolutely no way of installing this free version of Sonar/Cakewalk on an offline computer? Seems like a strange decision... If they continue down this road it seems pretty clear that they've given up on targeting Cakewalk for professional users and aim for the "social media kids" with their bedroom "studios" instead. Which I guess is what Cakewalk had been doing for years anyway. The last version I would consider targeted at professional studios was 8.5. But that's just grumpy old me...

3) A stripped down version sounds VERY good to me but there's ONE old Cakewalk plugin I've used a lot: Channel Tools. Is this still included? I never used ANY of the other Sonar-bundled plugins but this one is such a simple but great little tool.

Thanks for any help on this!

EDIT: Oh, and Windows prevents me from opening the Bandlab Assistant, says it may be harmful to my computer. What's that all about? Not very reassuring...

EDIT2: I installed it anyway (for testing on my home laptop). Looks like there may be another catch. Below the serial number it says "Valid through 12.10.2018". So no guarantees it will keep working for free in the future. My guess is that it probably won't.

And there's no Channel Tools... at least not in the stripped down version. The full version is just too much junk when I can't choose to install it elsewhere than on my c: which is an SSD where space is precious.

The dealbreaker for me with the original Sonar was when they removed the polarity and stereo/mono switches from the individual tracks for the "X"-versions. I might have been able to accept this in a free version but I think I'll pass for now. I even liked the user interface of 8.5 better... And what has happened to the keyboard shortcut for offset mode??? That's one of the keyboard shortcuts I use the most in 8.5!!! Seems like a weird decision to simply remove an existing keyboard shortcut, especially as it doesn't seem to have been replaced with anything else.

Too much fiddling about to perform simple tasks in Sonar X1 an onwards IMO. Sonar 8.5 was as far as they got before ruining it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Bandlab are resurrecting Sonar but I don't think I belong to the demographics they are targeting here. Not even close. I never liked any of the Sonar versions from X1 and onwards anyway, far too bloated and cluttered. I've been sticking with 8.5 all this time.... It still mostly works for my needs but I foresee a move to Cubase in the near future (but then I've been saying that for about 10 years now...).

Last edited by S.F.Sorrow; 12th April 2018 at 04:25 PM..
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not going to go into detail here about using the software and only advise if you want to learn about Cakewalk join the forum. In my opinon one of the best user based forums I've ever belonged to. Everybody gets helped and even if the question is very basic you won't get bashed. You'll normally have an asnwer in less than an hour.

The new company recognizes the value of the community and since takeover have been 100% involved answering any questions and listening to what we have to say. It's an amazingly good turn of events.

There seems to be some misunderstaning here. Bandlab and the social media based app is a different thing than Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Most of us took one look at that and have not opened the page again. Notice the 2 installers in the assistant.

As said you need the Assistant to install Cakewalk by Bandlad ( CbB is our shorthant name now) and after than you can nuke the assistant if it bothers you and CbB will run, even off line.
They updated the Assistant and are still working on fixes based on user based input so we will soon have the file pathways as well.

And about the Bugs- All DAW's have bugs all software has bugs. Sonar has since the Splat release been upgraded monthly and users are quick to point them out. Because of this your hard pressed to find a show stopper in the latest version of Sonar ( new CbB )
Most users who complain about bugs = 90% is user error or crappy audio interface drivers or a funky system. Most of us use the software day in and day out and never have issues. I wouldn't use it if it caused me problems that interupted my work.
Old 12th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
Hmm... this sounds too good to be true. My first thought was "what's the catch?". And it seems the catch is no offline installation and having Bandlab sniffing around in the background to "share" your work unless you take some kind of action to prevent/remove it.

I have three questions:

1) If I want to ONLY use Sonar/Cakewalk, not Bandlab (or anything related to Bandlab), is it as simple as installing everything and then just uninstall Bandlab? Will this remove everything Bandlab-related running in the backgrund? Will this remove all the sharing features or is some of that baked into Cakewalk itself? I'm pretty scared of the idea of an online community potentially having access to my work if I hit a wrong button or forget to un-check a box somewhere!!!

2) Is there absolutely no way of installing this free version of Sonar/Cakewalk on an offline computer? Seems like a strange decision... If they continue down this road it seems pretty clear that they've given up on targeting Cakewalk for professional users and aim for the "social media kids" with their bedroom "studios" instead. Which I guess is what Cakewalk had been doing for years anyway. The last version I would consider targeted at professional studios was 8.5. But that's just grumpy old me...

3) A stripped down version sounds VERY good to me but there's ONE old Cakewalk plugin I've used a lot: Channel Tools. Is this still included? I never used ANY of the other Sonar-bundled plugins but this one is such a simple but great little tool.

Thanks for any help on this!

EDIT: Oh, and Windows prevents me from opening the Bandlab Assistant, says it may be harmful to my computer. What's that all about? Not very reassuring...

EDIT2: I installed it anyway (for testing on my home laptop). Looks like there may be another catch. Below the serial number it says "Valid through 12.10.2018". So no guarantees it will keep working for free in the future. My guess is that it probably won't.

And there's no Channel Tools... at least not in the stripped down version. The full version is just too much junk when I can't choose to install it elsewhere than on my c: which is an SSD where space is precious.

[...]
1) BandLab Assistant should appear in your uninstall list in Windows. I can't tell you if it will get rid of everything associated with the application, but even when I simply 'Quit' the app, it removed 'unexpected' processes in my Win Task Manager associated with it. And when I prevented it from running at bootup (by removing a call to GitHub in the StartUp tab settings in Windows Configuration), I got a similarly 'clean' list of running processes.

2) The BandLab Assistant-run installation is two parts: the Assistant downloads a ~675MB executable file that is the actual install file. I have not tried it, but I assume this can be installed off line. (And I think BL may mention it in their installation write-up materials.)

3) I don't know that the Channel Tools plugin is included (I guess it was not in Platinum?) -- but if you have a copy from your old CW/Sonar installation, that should work. I just loaded the plug into a project in CW/BL and everything seems fine.

The Windows warning is not untypical. I can't remember the particulars but it's a bit of a generic reminder warning. I approve these frequently -- but I always know the provenance of what I'm installing. Or I just don't install.

The 'valid until' isn't really the gotchya that it seems at first glance, at least not according to BL, who reassured users that their software will keep working; I seem to recall that they said they'd be changing that part of the About pop-up.

Hope that's somewhat reassuring...
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
1) BandLab Assistant should appear in your uninstall list in Windows. I can't tell you if it will get rid of everything associated with the application, but even when I simply 'Quit' the app, it removed 'unexpected' processes in my Win Task Manager associated with it. And when I prevented it from running at bootup (by removing a call to GitHub in the StartUp tab settings in Windows Configuration), I got a similarly 'clean' list of running processes.

2) The BandLab Assistant-run installation is two parts: the Assistant downloads a ~675MB executable file that is the actual install file. I have not tried it, but I assume this can be installed off line. (And I think BL may mention it in their installation write-up materials.)

3) I don't know that the Channel Tools plugin is included (I guess it was not in Platinum?) -- but if you have a copy from your old CW/Sonar installation, that should work. I just loaded the plug into a project in CW/BL and everything seems fine.

The Windows warning is not untypical. I can't remember the particulars but it's a bit of a generic reminder warning. I approve these frequently -- but I always know the provenance of what I'm installing. Or I just don't install.

The 'valid until' isn't really the gotchya that it seems at first glance, at least not according to BL, who reassured users that their software will keep working; I seem to recall that they said they'd be changing that part of the About pop-up.

Hope that's somewhat reassuring...
Thanks!

This does make it somewhat more appealing to me. I'll have to try the installation file on an offline computer. If it works I might actually give this a chance (but Bandlab, if you're reading this, please let us get the polarity and stereo/mono buttons back on the individual tracks, at least as a customizable option, PLEASE!!!!).

Channel Tools was included with the most expensive version of the latest Sonar (Platinum?) but not with the two less expensive versions. I always thought the "Cakewalk" plugins didn't work outside of Sonar so I never tried Channel Tools anywhere else. I just assumed it wouldn't work. If my old version works the same way as any VST plugins that's good news to me. I know there are many other plugins that can do the same thing as Channel Tools but I've never found one I liked as much. Funny, because I though all the other Cakewalk plugins from the same era were absolute rubbish. Old habits I guess...
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

The free Cakewalk by Bandlab is more like Sonar Artist and not Platinum like they are saying.
You don't have to install Bandlab, that's got nothing to do with Cakewalk. Bandlab is the on line app for sharing etc. Cakewalk is what it always was, a DAW. It is not a on line app.

It comes with SI intruments ( Artist Collection) which is mid range stuff.
The Effects are the Sonitus collection, Boost11 and TH3.

It does not include Melodyn the Audio to midi feature doesn't work. And there's no Drum Replacer. Only Vocal sync.
Pro Channel is also missing half the moduls compaired to Platinum. There are no compressors.

So mostly there are a lot of the top end goodies missing like Melodyn, Adictive Drums, Dim Pro Rapture etc.

Bandlabs owner Meng has posted saying they are still working out licencing on some of these add ons so possible some will be included in the future updates or they will simply be offered as paid for add ons. Of course for owners of the original version we still have everything in place and working as before. There is nothing but possitive feedback at this point.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpate View Post
A word of caution about sharing mixes songs etc on Bandlabs platform. We are granting them and other users our copyrights and may not be able to withdraw permissions.
It is important to understand that when you upload to or create Content on the Services, you remain the owner of the copyright in that Content, but you grant BandLab, and other Users a licence to copy, download, modify, synchronise, play, perform and even potentially commercialise that Content, depending on your Content sharing settings.

CONTENT SHARING: You may use BandLab’s settings to control who can access your Content, and the extent of access to and use which they can make of your Content.

Private – All Content is set to “Private” by default, meaning that only you can access it, make adaptations of it and use it.
Public– This setting allows other Users to view your Content or play it on BandLab by streaming, but they will not be able to download, adapt , synchronise or use that Content.
Forkable– If you have Content that it is ready to be published and would like other Users to be able to take it further by remixing, modifying or otherwise developing it themselves, you can change the setting on that Content to allow forks or be “forkable”. Other Users will then be able to copy, download, modify, play, perform, synchronise, and even commercialise that Content or their adaptations of that Content. You can make either a single or series of revisions in a song “forkable”.
Tree View: You can trace your creative process in Tree View in both your Bands and your personal account. Tree View allows you to view and access previous versions of Content, and to track how that Content has been used and developed by yourself, your Bands, or other Users with whom the Content has been shared.
BandLab was built specifically for musicians and creators to collaborate with each other. The tools available on BandLab allow you to form bands, work with sessions musicians, or build upon another User’s creation by “forking”.
Learn about copyright - BandLab Blog
Hi, sorry to try taking the shortcut by not wading to the heap of information myself... I would like to just collaborate with my own bandmates. If one of us has an idea, he can simply make it immortal by recording the idea and add it to the growing project. Do I understand clearly when I'd say; by using Cakewalk by Bandlab ( in the future it'll probably work like Ohmforce Ohmstudio does atm?) for this purpose, we won't be entitled to the full rights of our song if it ever hits the charts and businessmen feel there is profit to gain? If so, do you know of a safe alternative? Thank you, and sorry for being lazy.
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVDL View Post
Hi, sorry to try taking the shortcut by not wading to the heap of information myself... I would like to just collaborate with my own bandmates. If one of us has an idea, he can simply make it immortal by recording the idea and add it to the growing project. Do I understand clearly when I'd say; by using Cakewalk by Bandlab ( in the future it'll probably work like Ohmforce Ohmstudio does atm?) for this purpose, we won't be entitled to the full rights of our song if it ever hits the charts and businessmen feel there is profit to gain? If so, do you know of a safe alternative? Thank you, and sorry for being lazy.
The info you're probably most interested in was in the section immediately following the excerpt above. The info page continues...
Quote:
BandLab was built specifically for musicians and creators to collaborate with each other. The tools available on BandLab allow you to form bands, work with sessions musicians, or build upon another User’s creation by “forking”.

BAND: The following section provides some basic guidance about the rights which Users give one another within a Band:

A Band on BandLab is just the same as a Band in real life — minus the difficulty of transferring files, converting formats or booking studio time.
As in real life, Band Members on BandLab share work material and make decisions collectively. This has some important implications on copyright ownership of Content jointly created by Band Members.

Agreement between Band Members – It is a good idea for Band Members to have a clear, explicit and written understanding among themselves regarding ownership and other rights in Band Content, so that every Band Member knows what will happen if the Band breaks up, adds or loses Members, or wishes to license or commercialise its Content. It is recommended that you seek legal advice particularly if you think there is a possibility of you or your Band making commercial use of Band Content.

Band Content: When you upload or create Content in a Band, you allow existing and future Band Members to copy, download, modify, play, perform and even potentially commercialise that Content. You should make sure you are comfortable with sharing your Content with Band Members in this way before you start to upload or create Content in a Band.

Public / Private Band Content – All Band Content is set to “Private” by default, meaning that only existing Band Members can access it. If your Band has Content that it is ready to be published, any Band Member can change the setting on that Content to be “Public”.

Forking Band Content – Any Band Member can change the setting on that Content to allow forks or be “forkable”. It is the Band’s responsibility to come to a clear agreement before making any Content “forkable”.

Leaving the Band – If you are a Member of a Band and you leave the Band, Content which you have moved to or created in the Band remains available in the Band for use by the remaining and future Band Members. You cannot delete Band Content which has been uploaded to, created in, or posted to the Band even if it incorporates or is a modification of Content originally posted by you.

Breaking Up a Band – Only the person designated as the Band Owner can break up or delete a Band. Once a Band is deleted, the band will cease to exist and all of the Band Content will be removed from BandLab. If you want to ensure your unrestricted access to Band Content, you will need to export and save Band Content to your own local device. This can be done regularly to be sure that you maintain an up-to-date version of Band Content.

For more information on any form of sharing on BandLab, please refer to our FAQs. You may also send your questions to our support desk at [email protected].
Learn about copyright - BandLab Blog
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict
Thank you Theblue1!
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Only want to say... CbB is not usable for me...cause there is no EUCON support anymore...S3 and PTDock are not working with cakewalk by bandlab.... Sonar worked great with Eucon Control Surfaces...
So i uninstalled it... Crapware
Old 18th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
Only want to say... CbB is not usable for me...cause there is no EUCON support anymore...S3 and PTDock are not working with cakewalk by bandlab.... Sonar worked great with Eucon Control Surfaces...
So i uninstalled it... Crapware
Well, no doubt the tens of millions of Eucon users are disappointed. But Sonar was effectively dead, and now it's revived, if stripped of 3rd party intellectual properties -- and it's free.

To be honest, I'm moderately impressed for crapware.

Hope this helps:
Quote:
EuControl Compatibility

What are the system requirements for EuControl 2018.3 (for Artist Series, Pro Tools S3, Pro Tools | Dock, and Pro Tools | Control)?

Workstation Compatibility:

Mac OS 10.10.3 or higher, including macOS High Sierra 10.13
Window 7 or Windows 10

Qualified EUCON media applications:

Avid Pro Tools 12.8 or later
Avid Pro Tools | HD 12.8 or later
Apple Logic Pro X
Steinberg Cubase 8.5
Steinberg Nuendo 7
EuControl Compatibility
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Well, no doubt the tens of millions of Eucon users are disappointed.

I actually had to read that twice before the sarcasm doffed its cap.
Nicely done
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post

I actually had to read that twice before the sarcasm doffed its cap.
Nicely done
Well, I wanted to be a bit gentle, since I could certainly appreciate his frustration -- it's really a crap feeling when it seems like your favored way of working is threatened, without a doubt!

But I also wanted to point out that it might not be entirely fair to visit such complaints on the new owners of the Cakewalk legacy, who, after all, seem to have gone to a lot more trouble making things as nice as possible for existing CW/Sonar owners than the old owner (Gibson [lemme hear a BOO!]) was ever likely to again...
Old 20th April 2018
smart move from bandlab
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
smart move from bandlab
I sure hope so.

It's obviously a shook-down marketplace at this point.

Sonar has some real strengths -- but some weaknesses, as well. It's historically been limited to Windows and, while it had the loyalty of many hobbyists and small/project studio folks, its more limited 'carrying capacity' with regard to plugin efficiency compared to Reaper and Cubase meant that most pro facilities or those with large track ITB projects looked elsewhere when looking for a Win-based platform.

And, of course, Reaper's relaxed pricing structure (and rapid product improvement and market penetration) put further downward pressure on that market.

When word started leaking that Gibson was getting really shaky -- so shaky parts were falling off -- I wondered if CW/Sonar might get picked up by Magix or some other Corel-like bottom feeder sucking up old/orphaned software. Having some recent -- and decidedly negative -- experience with a Vegas paid update from Magix that didn't work even though the previous version did and my HW exceeded requirements (but the DL update couldn't be refunded, check the fine, fine print), I found that possibility very disheartening.

Going freeware* may have been one of the few reasonable options. But, back to the wall, or not, the update package seems to fit very well with my existing prior editions. The freebies that are 'missing' from the CW/BL version are usable from my previous (still existing) installations and, if anything, the new version works better than my updated X3 version, so, for me, it's pretty much win-win.

* I think I'm going to use their 'tip jar' to some modest extent even though I'm semi-retired and def not rolling-in-it, just on GP though I seem to have lost the link temporarily.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

From the Sonar forums: Cakewalk By BandLab vs SONAR Versions Comparison Chart

Comparison Chart 19/4/2018 - Google Sheets
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

Just a quick question - what happens with older Cakewalk licenses, such as Sonar X3 Producer? Will I be able to continue using it indefinitely? I also had a Sonar subscription but haven’t used it in months. I’m curious where that leaves me now, because I’m not really wanting to install Bandlab yet.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search