The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonar X1 Glitches - at my wits end!
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Sonar X1 Glitches - at my wits end!

I was an infrequent user of Sonar X1, but I've just started to to use it a whole lot more, and I have noticed an infuriating glitching sound that I can't get rid of.

I have tried this on 3 different machines - all new, all quite powerful (but with no external sound card), all Windows 10, and the symptoms are identical...

My first thought was to increase the buffer size:

When you set the buffers, Sonar tells you what latency to expect, and it is delivering exactly what it says in terms of latency.

The issue is that it is glitching/crackling at about the same frequency as the predicted latency - so when I set it high (300ms) I wasnt noticing it - but it is still there - a little crackle 3 times a second. At lower latencies of course it is just a buzz

I am using WDM/KS but have tried ASIO4ALL - and it is worse.

The issue is there on midi and audio playback.

I'm happy to invest in a sound card if that will help, but I'm not sure why it would.
Old 21st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis View Post
I was an infrequent user of Sonar X1, but I've just started to to use it a whole lot more, and I have noticed an infuriating glitching sound that I can't get rid of.

I have tried this on 3 different machines - all new, all quite powerful (but with no external sound card), all Windows 10, and the symptoms are identical...

My first thought was to increase the buffer size:

When you set the buffers, Sonar tells you what latency to expect, and it is delivering exactly what it says in terms of latency.

The issue is that it is glitching/crackling at about the same frequency as the predicted latency - so when I set it high (300ms) I wasnt noticing it - but it is still there - a little crackle 3 times a second. At lower latencies of course it is just a buzz

I am using WDM/KS but have tried ASIO4ALL - and it is worse.

The issue is there on midi and audio playback.

I'm happy to invest in a sound card if that will help, but I'm not sure why it would.
You need a sound card. That's really all there is to it. ASIO4All is not a driver; it's merely a wrapper for Windows' own WDM drivers. A real sound card that comes with its own ASIO drivers will allow you to record and/or play back several tracks of audio at the same time. The on-board sound chip you're using now simply isn't designed for what you're trying to do.

If you search on Gearslutz or KVR for "sound card pops clicks", you'll see dozens of people having this problem with on-board sound chips. An external (USB) or internal (PCIe) sound card/audio interface is all you need.

Steve
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

I've been meaning to update this thread for a while, as my fix was surprising and simple and may help others in similar situations...

It never felt quite right to me that I needed and external sound card, considering how powerful my new PCs are, and the glitches seemed to follow too regular a pattern to be the same symptom as all the other threads I have read on this topic..so I methodically tried all the possible driver settings.

It turns out the the MME (32 bit) driver fixed all my issues. I am now getting latency of 30 msecs - which is fine for my needs. No need for an external interface or new sound card - I just use the one that came on my motherboard - Intel/Realtek
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search