The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cakewalk users: Great NEWS: BandLab Technologies acquires Cakewalk Inc. assets
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Cakewalk users: Great NEWS: BandLab Technologies acquires Cakewalk Inc. assets

To all our Cakewalk users here in GS and around the globe, never loose hope. Great news are here. A Singapore company has your back & bringing back Cakewalk

BandLab Technologies has announced the acquisition of certain assets and the complete intellectual property of Cakewalk Inc. from Gibson Brands.

BandLab says its team is committed to not only continuing the legacy of Cakewalk’s products for the users around the world who rely on it in both their personal and professional lives, but also to enhance the set of creative tools available to the millions of creators using BandLab around the world.

CEO of BandLab Technologies, Meng Ru Kuok said, “We are very excited to be bringing Cakewalk Inc’s products into the BandLab Technologies stable. Cakewalk has been an industry leader in professional music software, delivering cutting edge technology that has empowered producers and artists alike around the world for more than 30 years. We have immense respect for Cakewalk’s legacy and the incredible community of people who love the brand and rely on its products in both their personal and professional lives.

“The teams at both Gibson and BandLab felt that Cakewalk’s products deserved a new home where development could continue. We are pleased to be supporting Cakewalk’s passionate community of creators to ensure they have access to the best possible features and music products under the BandLab Technologies banner,” he said.

The deal includes only the transfer of Cakewalk Inc.’s assets and intellectual property. No other details of the deal have been released. More information will be shared about product roadmap and future features in due course.

For more info, follow this link:

BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk | Important Announcement

Very nice move from BandLab and if they're serious about keeping Cakewalk alive and sustain its existence, I say Kudos. Lets see what they'll do. Good luck to them and happy for all the Caekwalk workers, hope they get to keep their jobs.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear
Great news.
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Hmm. Assets and Intellectual Property? Customers can be considered assets. So the question is, do we go with them? I'm not sure I want to buy all this stuff again. But I would continue to update with them if they give a discount for current owners.

But it is great news for Cakewalk!
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

We'll see about this.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

From what I see posted on the Sonar forum, I wonder what will eventually come out of this. The company is a "cloud" company. They are in the process of buying the code but may not buy the "Cakewalk Sonar" name so whatever it turns out to be could be named something else and with the cloud based products could it wind up being a cloud based application? Too many "ifs" yet to know for sure what it will wind up to be.

I was a long time Sonar customer (started with Sonar 6) but I'm transitioning to Studio One 3 and may not look back. Sonar seems to go through new owners so who knows how long the new owner will last.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Good to hear for now it looks like Sonar may stay.

I was hoping that Cakewalk would find a backer as they usually do.
They've been here a few times before and manage to overcome these setbacks.
Maybe they will hook up with Microsoft like Logic Pro, after Apple bought Emagic in 2002.
Who knows what the future holds but time will eventually tell.
Old 25th February 2018
This is at the very least, better than letting cakewalk die.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Head

Bandlab Technologies also acquired 49% of Rolling Stone magazine in late 2016 and the company's website describes itself as a social media, music creation company. Interesting. I'm not sure this will be good or bad for existing cakewalk users but I assume they will use Sonar to power their social media, online, music creation site...maybe. There seems to be some synergy there but who knows what will happen to the DAW software.

If the platform is employed by the social media site then that site/business might effectively subsidize the DAW's existence so you might be looking at a very different business model from the past. It will be interesting to see what happens. Its possible the company will simply user Sonar's tech on its website and forgot about DAWs.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

Cakewalk came out with a mobil app just before Gibson pulled the rug. I'm going to hope that the Sonar DAW will keep on it's present track of progress in the professional workstation type of software and the mobil app end of things will be a completely different object and geared to general ( play with things kind of user base ). Where phone and tablet apps belong.
Old 26th February 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
BandLab bought the code and cakewalk site. At the very least the intend to keep the servers running so users can download there cake products. That was a big worry.

No doubt that BandLab will mine the code to make their cloud daw less of a light daw. They will offer collaboration and storage. Who knows if they will continue sonar development but they have hired some of the old staff. But this is better than a slow death by neglect. And may even prosper if done right.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

One thing's for sure. Even if Sonar continues functioning at least in part as a standalone app (which I think BandLab have said it will), any kind of integrated cloud element is going to get right up the noses of the stick in the mud "get off my lawn" element in the Sonar community. Noel seems like he's bang into any kind of new or emerging technology and I'm sure he'll have hit it off tremendously with the BandLab team and have all kinds of modern visions for the program, including hardwiring powerful collaboration tools into it. This is bound to annoy some of the "I just want to use Sonar as a glorified tape recorder like I have done for 20 years" crowd, but you know what, tough. Sonar wasn't doing so well as a "traditional" style DAW, I think its only chance now is to hitch itself to the future of music production.
Old 1st March 2018
I see no reason why it can't be both things: A glorified tape recorder for those who want to use it that way, and a powerful social sharing and collaboration tool for those who choose to use it that way.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Well Cakewalk may go on but I am finished with SONAR! I'm done! I've had too many files/projects become corrupted for no reason, too many stored projects from previous installs that won't open because it say's I made them on a earlier version when in fact it's the same damned version, same damned disk etc, etc. The simple act of exporting wave files has become a battle of the files no arriving at the destination as a wave file but as a ????? file nothing can open. So I'm done it's on to Pro Tools. I'm done spending more time chasing bugs and ghosts than recording. Goodbye Cakewalk.
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Addict

Yeah I'm pretty much the same - I had large projects become so corrupt in Sonar that they were virtually impossible to work on. And not just in terms of instability but totally weird, annoying bugs that made every session with the program a frustrating nightmare of almost Twilight Zone-esque hell for me. Never saw these problems in fresh new projects, but the bigger they got and the longer I worked on them, the more outrageous BS crept in - everything from plugins resetting themselves to default every time I load a project to automation envelopes randomly disappearing into oblivion. I blindly put up with it for a long time, and then it dawned on me that every couple of minutes I'm yelling "OH GOD - WHAT NOW?" when working on these projects, and that I wasn't getting any further toward completing them due to chasing my tail endlessly because of the bugs. Not even the kind of stuff you can work around. So I undertook the unthinkable and started recreating them from scratch in Reaper, having each DAW open on separate screens to facilitate the process. Reaper just works properly and outperforms Sonar in every way, from CPU performance to stability to design. It's a snappy, relatively bug-free work environment that is like floating in an oasis of calm and tranquility after sailing the stormy seas of Sonar, lol. So while I wish it all the best, I have seen way to many problems with the program to hold out any hope that it will be anywhere near as efficient and bug free as Reaper anytime soon. I honestly they'll be able to fix the program under this new owner more than they could under Gibson, but it's still going to take a long time. I don't even know how many of the most serious bugs can be fixed without extensive redesign and recoding of core parts of the program.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Lets see if BandLab can implement ARA2, then...
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
Yeah I'm pretty much the same - I had large projects become so corrupt in Sonar that they were virtually impossible to work on. And not just in terms of instability but totally weird, annoying bugs that made every session with the program a frustrating nightmare of almost Twilight Zone-esque hell for me. Never saw these problems in fresh new projects, but the bigger they got and the longer I worked on them, the more outrageous BS crept in - everything from plugins resetting themselves to default every time I load a project to automation envelopes randomly disappearing into oblivion. I blindly put up with it for a long time, and then it dawned on me that every couple of minutes I'm yelling "OH GOD - WHAT NOW?" when working on these projects, and that I wasn't getting any further toward completing them due to chasing my tail endlessly because of the bugs. Not even the kind of stuff you can work around. So I undertook the unthinkable and started recreating them from scratch in Reaper, having each DAW open on separate screens to facilitate the process. Reaper just works properly and outperforms Sonar in every way, from CPU performance to stability to design. It's a snappy, relatively bug-free work environment that is like floating in an oasis of calm and tranquility after sailing the stormy seas of Sonar, lol. So while I wish it all the best, I have seen way to many problems with the program to hold out any hope that it will be anywhere near as efficient and bug free as Reaper anytime soon. I honestly they'll be able to fix the program under this new owner more than they could under Gibson, but it's still going to take a long time. I don't even know how many of the most serious bugs can be fixed without extensive redesign and recoding of core parts of the program.
I've had similar experiences with Sonar and switched to Studio One after the closure and couldn't be happier. Although I'm happy that the dedicated Sonar users may still have a chance, I'm not going back after enjoying the stability of Studio One.
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Addict

Sonar live on!

I love my Sonar X3 Producer, and hope that Bandlab will do great stuff with the purchase and plans they have.

I had no intention of buying into a different platform, as my X3 Producer is phenomenal. I wish Bandlab the best, and hope they will do wonders with it.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Addict

Synths

I missed out on buying Rapture Pro when it came out, with its over 4000 preset sounds included. I would love to buy that now. Hopefully Bandlab has rights to all the synths, too, and will make them available again.
Old 2nd April 2018
Here for the gear

...loving the new crickets plugin...
...gives me a lot of confidence in keeping Cakewalk...
Old 4th April 2018
Here for the gear

wow! seems like a smart move!

considering to have a look into this and using this as mix-down-DAW
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear
It's out now and available for download
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm confused. How can BandLab offer Sonar Platinum (without the bundles) for free? I paid around $500.00 for it. To get involved with a company who is supposedly giving it for free to everyone, how can they generate income to keep it going? Is this another April Fools joke or did I read the article wrong?
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
I missed out on buying Rapture Pro when it came out, with its over 4000 preset sounds included. I would love to buy that now. Hopefully Bandlab has rights to all the synths, too, and will make them available again.
Rapture Pro was okay, but nothing stellar about it. Save you money for something much more worthwhile for the money. Don't get me wrong about Sonar. I love it and still use it, but I bought Cubase 9.5 when the offered the crossover price for Sonar and I am well pleased with Cubase. I needed to be safe if Sonar stopped working. Cubase has Halion and other plug-ins that are excellent. I finally bought Omnisphere a month ago and it is well worth the money. It is truly an excellent VST. Maybe the best.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
I'm confused. How can BandLab offer Sonar Platinum (without the bundles) for free? I paid around $500.00 for it. To get involved with a company who is supposedly giving it for free to everyone, how can they generate income to keep it going? Is this another April Fools joke or did I read the article wrong?
It's clearly a carrot on a stick to entice people into the BandLab ecosystem. To get the DAW you have to register an account with them - BandLab then markets paid stuff at you. It's actually not a bad idea, but hardly original.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
It's clearly a carrot on a stick to entice people into the BandLab ecosystem. To get the DAW you have to register an account with them - BandLab then markets paid stuff at you. It's actually not a bad idea, but hardly original.
I'm sticking with my plan to continue learning Cubse 9.5 while still using Sonar Platinum. This does not seem like something I want to continue. Not gonna update at first. See what happens.
Old 9th May 2018
Here for the gear

I downloaded CbB and so far no issues. I believe updates will come out regularly from what can tell. The prior coders are the ones working on it and there may be new ones.

So far as the Bandlab app. No one has marketed anything to me yet. That could change, or maybe Meng simply is using CbB to attract users to his platform. Time will tell. The deal might be more of a means to an end and not the software itself, know what I mean? You can go into settings and disable the auto start of the BandLab app on your desktop. but only after you download CbB. IOW the two aren't tied together after the download unless there is an update.

I am a longtime Sonar Platinum user. I had a bunch of the third party stuff which meshed right in with my new copy of CbB. And yes, Cakewalk was getting 500.00 for something you can now get free minus just a few of the extras.

The new Cakewalk will be too deep for those who are coming from Audacity. CbB will likely be the new Audacity. There's a lot of capability in the new CbB. Lots to learn, and according to Meng, he wanted to put good music making capability into the hands of the masses. They have it now....let's see what happens.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starise View Post
I downloaded CbB and so far no issues. I believe updates will come out regularly from what can tell. The prior coders are the ones working on it and there may be new ones.

So far as the Bandlab app. No one has marketed anything to me yet. That could change, or maybe Meng simply is using CbB to attract users to his platform. Time will tell. The deal might be more of a means to an end and not the software itself, know what I mean? You can go into settings and disable the auto start of the BandLab app on your desktop. but only after you download CbB. IOW the two aren't tied together after the download unless there is an update.

I am a longtime Sonar Platinum user. I had a bunch of the third party stuff which meshed right in with my new copy of CbB. And yes, Cakewalk was getting 500.00 for something you can now get free minus just a few of the extras.

The new Cakewalk will be too deep for those who are coming from Audacity. CbB will likely be the new Audacity. There's a lot of capability in the new CbB. Lots to learn, and according to Meng, he wanted to put good music making capability into the hands of the masses. They have it now....let's see what happens.
Still using Cakewalk Platinum while I cross over to Cubase 9.5 Pro. No issues with Platinum so I haven't upgraded to the BandLab Edition. Skeptical of what direction this is all going. The business model doesn't make sense to me. Platinum is a very deep DAW. Platinum, as well as a lot of other DAWs are deep and are not for the "I Don't Read Manuals" mentality. But for those who will put in the effort to learn it, it will reward you immensely. It really is a great DAW. Hope all is well with all of the other users of Sonar.
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Nut

Great soft . coming back to Sonar ! thx bandlab !

Sonar > Windows10 Pro
Mixbus >Linux Debian / RT Kernel
Old 12th October 2018
Here for the gear
I have found its a very comfortable crossover coming from Cubase and am very happy with Cakewalk and all of its featured that keep showing themselves the more i use it.
I had the initial stuck in demo mode issue but it was easily fixed by closing the bandlab launcher, connecting to the internet then reopening cakewalk through the launcher.
So far very pleased, saved me a few hundred £ on Cubase 9.5 which was the plan.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search