The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase Crossgrade for Cakewalk Sonar Users / 50% off DAW Software
Old 23rd November 2017
Here for the gear

Cubase Crossgrade for Cakewalk Sonar Users / 50% off

Hi all,

Steinberg has decided to offer all Cakewalk Sonar Platinum and Professional customers a dedicated 50% off welcome offer on Cubase Pro.

The crossgrade is available for a limited time at participating retailers worldwide. In Europe the crossgrade is already available today in the Steinberg Online Shop. European retailers will offer the crossgrade from Friday on. Due to Thanksgiving the crossgrade will be available in the US next week at Sweetwater and many other retailers.

Cheers from Hamburg,
Matthias
Old 23rd November 2017
Deleted User
Can you tell a long-time user of Sonar what he would gain by doing this?

It's a great offer for sure, but Sonar will keep working in the short and medium term so I don't really see a reason to do the switch at this point. It's still a lot of money.

Of course on a long enough time scale, Sonar is a dead end, but on a long enough time scale a new version of Cubase will be out and require more money to upgrade to. So either way, we're "stuck" with the current version, except Sonar is already paid for.

Unless of course you can convince me that Cubase is superior :D
In all honesty, I've never tried it because I've been a Cakewalk user for so long it was 2nd nature to me.
Old 24th November 2017
Here for the gear

Here is a link for the Google Hangout to happen next Tuesday focussing on customers migrating to Cubase from Sonar. Greg Ondo who has represented Steinberg in the US for 25 years is going to answer all your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKdr7YZCcgw
Old 2nd December 2017
It's been years since I've used Cakewalk, having started with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, then switching to Cubase VST 5/32...been a Cubase user since.

It's at least nice to have the offer for a cross-grade, but it's true that whatever Cakewalk version you're using will always work, as long as keeping all hardware & software compatible. I still have Cubase VST 5/32 installed & running fine on one of my Win XP DAW PC's
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I purchased the Cross-Grade Thanksgiving. I already had my homework done on which DAW to switch to if Sonar went under. The warnings were already out when Cakewalk was bought out by Gibson. It is a great price considering how much it would cost if you bought it outright. I am going through the Cubase tutorials now and so much is similar to Sonar. The cross-grade special came at the right time. I am very much pleased with the purchase.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickSound View Post
Can you tell a long-time user of Sonar what he would gain by doing this?

It's a great offer for sure, but Sonar will keep working in the short and medium term so I don't really see a reason to do the switch at this point. It's still a lot of money.

Of course on a long enough time scale, Sonar is a dead end, but on a long enough time scale a new version of Cubase will be out and require more money to upgrade to. So either way, we're "stuck" with the current version, except Sonar is already paid for.

Unless of course you can convince me that Cubase is superior :D
In all honesty, I've never tried it because I've been a Cakewalk user for so long it was 2nd nature to me.
You can't smell the taste of blood in the waters?

Again, I don't understand how one single person was able to use sonar. I've had disappointments with other hosts but they were not "unusable" the way sonar has been throughout my history. I guess people put up with quirks (mostly in the way of crashes) when they dedicated to something.

*disqualifications: People that don't use vst's, built-in fx, or midi. I've found that the vast majority of people that like sonar either don't use these, or do things manually where low latency is not important. I only accept vitriol from people who "claim" to use the entire pallet of features.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sonar is a great DAW and was first to offer 64 bit audio engine (cubase still 32bit), touchscreen, VST3, ACT etc.
I cant help thinking that my x3e should be fine for making music for a good decade, having turned off windows updates, internet on the PC.

Used Cubase SX for years and not really felt the need to go elsewhere after going sonar 8-X3e.
yes X series was a buggy PITA through to X3C, but X3e is still today a stable and great daw.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post

Again, I don't understand how one single person was able to use sonar. I've had disappointments with other hosts but they were not "unusable" the way sonar has been throughout my history. I guess people put up with quirks (mostly in the way of crashes) when they dedicated to something.

*disqualifications: People that don't use vst's, built-in fx, or midi. I've found that the vast majority of people that like sonar either don't use these, or do things manually where low latency is not important. I only accept vitriol from people who "claim" to use the entire pallet of features.
Sonar has worked very well for me. Admittedly, my MIDI skills and use are minimal, but I use VSTs and some of the built-ins.

Now, I'm just a dumb folksinger, and my highest track count is probably 20 (stacking vocals), but I've had no major problems. I'm on W7 running 8.5 on the studio machine, offline. They pi$$ed me off with the subscription crap and I didn't upgrade. It ain't broke.

I'm no spring chicken, so if it lasts as long as I can bang on and growl into a mic, I'm good.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Again, I don't understand how one single person was able to use sonar. I've had disappointments with other hosts but they were not "unusable" the way sonar has been throughout my history. ..
I am a person from whom you should receive some vitriol. My Sonar usage (Platinum) has been consistently stable with my arsenal of hundreds of VST's, and use of MIDI functions; primarily drum replacement and driving external synths. For a product this large, the *entire* palette of features would be a challenge for any single user to engage.

It happens quite a lot that people run into a release of a product that was an unstable wreck, or a usability hassle, and then forever steer away because of the bad taste that it left with them. That was my experience with Pro Tools 9.

I am now fiddling around with my Studio One 3 Pro license; developing workarounds and planning macros so I can compensate for the lack of track templates, double-click zeroing of virtual faders, one-touch reset of multiple 'red max/over' indicators, the metronome signal routing differences, mix recall differences, and a bunch of other stuff that seemed like it should be 'already there'.

It's the fate of us all to toddle along until yet another accumulation of corporate mismanagement implodes a valued product in the marketplace from which we choose.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

That wasn't the vitriol I was talking about AT least not from my experience with fanboi's ...

That was an intelligent response.

I know, you can hear my angst for what I went through and it's clear some people really liked it. But I'm a bedroom composer, and for what I put into in it didn't deliver. And that's going WAY BACK.

I'm sorry I'm a poor sport, but FFS, it's not like I'm the only one (just one of the only ones who is still really jaded and put off by them, so much promise)

Just for sh...t's and giggles, Cubase 9 and .5 have really hit the mark for me. I like bitwig too because I love the looped based stuff but I think I've had 3 crashes since I went to 9, and all of them were on close.

I think it's fair to point that out and even though it's a marketing tactic, you can do worse that cubase (like S1, which I don't like)
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

And I know, it SUCKS to have to spring for a dongle just to demo it. I get it, believe me, I struggled with it. But they had them at my local GC and I decided "WTF, at least I can use the dongle for padshop pro or groove agent (yes I bought them both eventually )

But it was the only way to be sure if it was a POS or something I'll use everyday.

Just trying to offer a subject POV instead of my usual nasty bash thing (which like I said, I struggle with. I really do feel ripped off)
Old 7th December 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
You can't smell the taste of blood in the waters?

VSTs, MIDI, virtual instruments, big projects with 30+ tracks, 2h long recording sessions (tracking our live shows with our XR18), name it

All my issues with Sonar went away after I set VST scan to manual.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Ok, so we've got to stick with that hun?

So why is it out of business? Because of gibson? No. Because they lost customers through bad word of mouth, piss poor customer service and taking the side of the fanboi instead of the outrageously high number of complaints. Not to mention FAR better options are available.

There's your ultimate fact. (can't wait to see how people answer that )
Old 8th December 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Ok, so we've got to stick with that hun?

So why is it out of business? Because of gibson? No. Because they lost customers through bad word of mouth, piss poor customer service and taking the side of the fanboi instead of the outrageously high number of complaints. Not to mention FAR better options are available.

There's your ultimate fact. (can't wait to see how people answer that )
Not saying it was perfect, but the truth lies between fanboyism and "how could anyone use that????". Clearly it worked for many people because a lot of us bought the lifetime upgrades (like idiots but at the time it seeked like a good idea...).

Why do you even hang around this forum if you hate Sonar so much. It's just a DAW and everyone's got their favorite. Sonar worked for me, I could do anything instinctively in it, now I have to learn everything again and Reaper's handling of copy/pasting makes me go mad. Oh well.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

I use Cubase pro. I started with artist, but my conclusion is that the artist version is crippled enough to not be useable except as a tape recorder, so keep that in mind when pricing alternatives.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickSound View Post
Not saying it was perfect, but the truth lies between fanboyism and "how could anyone use that????". Clearly it worked for many people because a lot of us bought the lifetime upgrades (like idiots but at the time it seeked like a good idea...).

Why do you even hang around this forum if you hate Sonar so much. It's just a DAW and everyone's got their favorite. Sonar worked for me, I could do anything instinctively in it, now I have to learn everything again and Reaper's handling of copy/pasting makes me go mad. Oh well.
It really didn't work out. They screwed the pooch and went out of business.

Why do I hang here? Because I think the cubase offering it very reasonable and I can attest to cubase being pretty good.

Fanboi's seem to be attacking me for sticking with the OP.............things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Did you simply blow-off the topic title and fanboi? Seems like.........
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Honestly, the company is OUT OF BUSINESS and isn't coming back soon. All the fanboi's that wanna fanboi are not doing any harm to people like me. I'm laughing my ass off!
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Addict

Cubase and Sonar have always been side by side as platforms, covering a lot of the same territory. I have and use Pro Tools, but have never tried using it as my sole creative platform, which Sonar has been. Its MIDI features are bare bones in comparison, and I don't know if I could live with it, even though it is the best once you have everything complete. So I lean towards Cubase, but the one feature Sonar added in the last year or two that kept me locked in was their ARA integration of Melodyne, so I need to check out Studio One too. I can't believe every DAW hasn't implemented that yet. It's essential.

Going full Mac and using Logic has some appeal solely because so many top people use it, but it's clearly not the best DAW.
Old 14th January 2018
I was long time Sonar user and now I must completely switch to Pro Tools. Best decision I can made and I sholud made it years ago....
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

I run sonar and Cubase. Each have their strong points and weak points. There are things sonar does to blow the doors off of Cubase and vice versa.
I don't do allot of work with midi but when I do I prefer to use Cubase because its all pretty much plug and play from default settings (at least with the midi keyboards I own) I've never been able to get Sonar to work well with midi, probably because I skipped using the manual.

For Analog audio, I'll take sonar over Cubase for several key reasons. Allot of the recordings I do are with a band of mine and I operate the DAW with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I simply hit record, stop, and save the song then record another. The biggest benefit sonar has is you don't have to set up cursors and you don't have to wait for the tracks to complete rendering themselves into a waveform before you save them. In sonar you can instantly save the tracks and start a new recording and nothing is lost.

There are many other things too like file management. Sonar has had one button cleanup since the beginning. Cubase required you go fish for them. Even then Cubase gave the individual tracks encrypted names. Sonar has a logical method of naming tracks as well as numbering them in case you want to dig them out and work on them in another audio program.

I wont go down the whole list of items I like and dislike in either but I can say the audio quality of each program is identical, Sonar wind out on ease of use and the ability to modify menus to suit your own needs. As far as stability sonar is rock solid "If" your computer is properly optimized to run it. If it isn't properly optimized you can expect the program to let you know when it's CPU meters peak and the program forces you to save your work and restart it. (old versions crashed, new versions force you to save the work and restart)

As far as moving to a new version of Cubase? Not really not interested. Cubase requires that E licensing and moving a dongle from one computer to another which is a PITA. Once sonar is setup you can run off line and never have to verify the license again. Its permanently active.
Old 27th January 2018
Here for the gear

On Reddit someone posted that the Cubase crossgrade offer only applies to v. 9.5, and when v. 10 comes out, someone like me - a soon-to-be-Sonar-user - will have to pay full price for v. 10, rather than the 9.5 to 10 upgrade deal that "normal" 9.5 owners get? Doesn't sound right, but if anyone has intel, I'd love to know.

I ask because, like a lot of Sonar users, I plan to keep using it for a while - at least until I can get up-to-speed on Cubase. So, even though it's no longer 50% off, the cross-grade offer of $560 (or thereabouts) seems like a decent discount. UNLESS that's a "standing" cross-grade offer, which, based on its appearance on the Cubase crossgrade page - which features cross- and upgrade pricing from various software, not just Sonar, as well as from earlier Cubase versions, and shows no expiration date.

If that's the case - that the cross-grade price is relatively "permanent," I at least know that I don't have to buy it RIGHT NOW!

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 27th January 2018
Here for the gear

I meant to say soon-to-be-FORMER-Sonar user
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefight View Post
On Reddit someone posted that the Cubase crossgrade offer only applies to v. 9.5, and when v. 10 comes out, someone like me - a soon-to-be-Sonar-user - will have to pay full price for v. 10, rather than the 9.5 to 10 upgrade deal that "normal" 9.5 owners get? Doesn't sound right, but if anyone has intel, I'd love to know.

I ask because, like a lot of Sonar users, I plan to keep using it for a while - at least until I can get up-to-speed on Cubase. So, even though it's no longer 50% off, the cross-grade offer of $560 (or thereabouts) seems like a decent discount. UNLESS that's a "standing" cross-grade offer, which, based on its appearance on the Cubase crossgrade page - which features cross- and upgrade pricing from various software, not just Sonar, as well as from earlier Cubase versions, and shows no expiration date.

If that's the case - that the cross-grade price is relatively "permanent," I at least know that I don't have to buy it RIGHT NOW!

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Crossgrades | Steinberg

Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 - Competitive Crossgrade (download) | Sweetwater
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefight View Post
On Reddit someone posted that the Cubase crossgrade offer only applies to v. 9.5, and when v. 10 comes out, someone like me - a soon-to-be-Sonar-user - will have to pay full price for v. 10, rather than the 9.5 to 10 upgrade deal that "normal" 9.5 owners get? Doesn't sound right, but if anyone has intel, I'd love to know.Thank you.
That is incorrect, you will own a full Cubase Pro 9.5 license and once Cubase 10 comes out, you will be able to purchase it at reduce update price. I repeat, you will not have to pay the full price for 10. Whomever posted that is wrong.

Also, we are currently offering 50% and that offer will expire, and then the Crossgrade price will increase.

Best regards,
GN
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

No reason to switch ASAP that I was saying or implying, just asking, and it's not my plan. I just wanted the best deal I could get and a good amount of overlap for the learning curve.

One funny point, at least to me, was watching the "new features" of Pro 9.5 video. Virtually all of the features have been in Sonar for years - so much so that I had taken them for granted and simply assumed they were "standard" features. This is not a put-down; to the contrary, I was psyched, because hopefully it'll make the transition easier. In fact, many of the features reminded me of Sonar 8.5, before the "x" designations, which was my favorite and in my opinion the most stable Sonar version.

I should also add that there were several features that look extremely cool that Sonar does not have (but fewer than those Sonar does have).

Which is to say... nothing. I'm not making a point, just "sharing," and am kind of psyched to learn a new DAW and particularly excited at the prospect of a more stable DAW. Stability is, to me, the single most important "feature," and I've had my share of stability issues with Sonar through the years.

I was wondering if Cubase has what Sonar called "docking," meaning you can separate your project into two wholly separate windows/views, as opposed to expanding a single Window (i.e., MS Windows window), for example, to cover two monitors, and THEN sizing the two views within the single Windows window to have one view (track view - Sonar terminology) on one monitor and another view (console view) on the other monitor?

Just curious, moot in any event since I've already made the purchase.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

I think some of the windows can be separated to their own window. The mixer for sure, I do that all the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search