The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone still use Sonar?
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

I use Cakewalk and I'm pretty happy with it, considering that it is completely free, but honestly I think it might be just a bit outdated. Ableton is really powerful nowadays with its automation features and FL Studio is practically a standard for many producers including complete beginners. Still, you can achieve pretty much the same results with Cakewalk. My hopes is that they continue fixing the bugs at least.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

I still use it, cause I got GB's of projects on it, dating back to 2006.

But currently, given how little promotion there is for it, and how BandLab doesn't even put it on their homepage, I'm really afraid it will just die quietly some day. Can't risk having Cakewalk specific projects anymore.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
... I'm really afraid it will just die quietly some day. Can't risk having Cakewalk specific projects anymore.
Sonar has already survived the ultimate risk of any software by going from a paid product to a free-but-supported product. Given the responsiveness of the support team to bug break/fix, it's being supported as well as many other DAW products.

As for the future, the Reaper-direct-project-import-from-Sonar tool created by Azslow has been very comforting to me. It allows me to tiptoe into Reaper in a stress-free manner.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am and have been a Sonar user for over 10 years. It has arguably the best sounding sound engine of any DAW exceopt ones that use banks of outboard multithousand dollar processors such as AVID/Digidesign Pro tools. Its native app doesn't sound as good as Sonar and is not a flexable or as powerful. Ableton Live has slowly gotten better, but still hasn't caught SONAR. MOTU's digital performer has a good sound engine. Cakewalk invented the DAW. Had Rolands release of matching hardware been done after the change to X1, Sonar may be much closer to the top than it is now, as fdar as sales etc goes. It(SONAR) is a linear based recording platform that can do looping very well also, Ableton is a looping platform that is getting better at linear recording. You canuse SONAR alone to record, produce, edit, mix and release a top of the chart record that could win prozes for sound quality. They never went after the Apple crowd and Fruity Loops was always really cheap, as sounds cheap. Presonus has made leaps and bouinds in quality, Steinberg is Quality, Reason is what it is. It can be quite good but not great deopending on what your doing with it. It is a sad story what happened to Cakewalk and SONAR, they have always been trend setters. They had the first dockable windows in GUI and many more firsts. It has a learning curve and is a HUGE powerful suite of software. When Roland bought it there was a bright light for SONAR, but they dropped the ball and released their matching hardware during SONAR8, Huge mistake. I think alot comes down to which program you feel comfortable with. If you need to make very high quality recordings it is in the top 4 or 5. For making music like you would with an MPC (loop based) Ableton has surpassed Reason and ACID, Adobe bought omne and made it boring, as did SONY, they bought ACID and then wouldn't let users use anything but samples from them. If you want pristine sound SONAR is one of a handful that can deliver. Hip-Hop and EDM, iot's Ableton then Reason. That's how I see it aqt least, lol.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search